The Raw Foods Diet...

this is incorrect.
Carrots produce a toxin to soil parasites and cooking them removes this [and are better cooked for human consumption than raw]. aside from the fact that they are loaded with sugar.

I do not believe I'm incorrect in stating that cooking carrots increases their nutritive value. I heard this from my sister's father in-law, who has a PhD in Nutrition and I see that his statement is confirmed in an article published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, referred to in this Dr. Weil article, and confirmed in a separate study done at Newcastle University’s School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development and the Human Nutrition Research Centre which also advises to cut carrots only after cooking to best preserve flavor and nutrients.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Some of my new age-y health freak friends have done the raw foods thing. It certainly helped at least one lose weight, but the rest were pretty darned trim already. The science of it is somewhat iffy at best; the annoyance factor is definite. Forget going out to eat with anyone normal to anyplace other than a macrobiotics specialty place. If you're doing it for 10 days, it won't be a big deal, but you probably won't see any serious difference in 10 days, other than the gas.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a friend who's been on this diet for some time now. He looks emaciated. He went from having a muscular "swimmer's body" to looking like an extra from a film about the Holocaust.

I met him for dinner one night at a raw food restaurant here in Minneapolis.

Ick. No thanks. Where's McDonald's?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You might want to look here.
vegan recipes and vegetarian recipes - living and raw - uncooked!
I've only known a few people who lived by this diet. One is dead and the other looks like crap.
I still feel the best diet is one free from additives and preservatives. Eat lean meat, poultry and fish prepared simply and have a variety of fruits and vegetables. We eat very much like this as a rule. It's focus really is on the best, freshest and healthiest foods.

Mediterranean Diet: Basic Ingridients and Recipes of a Mediterranean Diet

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've heard about it, it's all over the place.

People everywhere (specifically in California):tongue: are raving about this diet. I'm kinda intrigued by it and I've decided to start it for a 10 day period.

The reason I'm writing this thread, is because I'm curious to hear if anyone has actually tried it before, if they've had success, and if there was any recipes you had that worked with this particular diet, specifically as a dinner/entree.

For those of you that don't know, the raw diet focuses on the idea that foods lose their nutrients and nutritional value if they are heated above 103 degrees. It tends to focus on natural foods, rather than anything processed, sugars, salt, pastas etc.

As a result, one seems to be able to eat fruits, veg, nuts, and depending on what level I'm at (there are three) raw meat and eggs. ( I won't be doing the meats and eggs option, thanks):cool:

I did a raw food diet about 15 years ago. I certainly got very thin. It isn't a particularly healthy way to eat but it does make food less digestible and so fewer of the available calories are absorbed. Some foods are better raw, of course. I prefer dried raw nuts to nuts roasted in oil. Sometimes. Sprouts are best raw. Raw meat, if it hasn't been grain fed, is quite tasty on occasion. But tens of thousands of years of evolution shouldn't be discarded for yet another food fad.

D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lean into it. I've been for a couple of months and it agrees with me. I was on a very clean diet before so I didn't experience the detox, gas and diarrhea symptoms that some do when making this transition. Check out, "Raw to Radiant" by Kim Cohen and google, "Primal Diet Recipes". Aajonus Vanderplatis" is one of the extremist, is very knowledgeable but again you don't have to go overkill. In Psych grad school a few years ago there was this dude who did raw and looked more radiant and healthy than anyone I'd ever known but of course he was 20-something, fit and lived in Malibu with a very healthy lifestyle. He may have looked like a Greek god though on any diet. My favorite raw foods are Shrimp, Salmon and Scallop Ceviches, Bison/Buffalo with Pesto or other sauces and Scallop in lime juice. I have always been lactose intolerant but have experienced that indeed the raw dairy products must have the enzymes in them to digest because I've experienced none of the intolerance symptoms. There is a line that I will not cross, i.e., no raw poultry, pork or beef for me. Good luck.

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sashimi, anyone?

Not for me, thank you.

Especially Fugu sashimi. ''I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die.''

Raw fruits and nuts are part of my 6-meal/day diet, but seldom put raw veggies in my protein shakes...but then again, am either bulking or cutting and focusing on keeping my % body fat low.

Last edited:

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
we have blended two topics here folks...

RAW foods is growing in popularity- it is NOT for 'detoxing'...

Detoxing is usually water,cayenne, vinegar, lemon, ginger or combinations there of...and done for 7, 10 or 30 days. There has been much discussion of the pros and cons of this....if it works for you, go for it.

back to the ORIGINAL topic (I think) is 'raw' foods... there is debate on processing types. I have actually gone 'raw' a few times for meditation reasons. To clean out my system- I recommend doing it in the spring/summer- reason being MORE choices- fresh berries, nuts, fruit etc... is wonderful. I personally will allow my self 'raw' nut butters (ie raw ground) but there are those that feel the grinding is 'processing' so... for me it is a terrific source of protein. There are several terrific restaurants that do raw food- the flat 'bread' flax seed crisps are wonderful- and the nutritional bonuses even better.

I teach culinary and there has been talk of adding raw food as an option in one class, but it isnt felt that it is main stream enough yet (and with the current economy, eating 'raw' is NOT cheap...and no drive thrus!

You do have to think ahead, and yes, your body can be challenged initially. It really makes you(me) rethink foods. The taste of pure food, untouched is amazing. There is even a no-bake apple pie that is terrific. (good raw food recipes)... Some of it goes a bit...'odd' but to each his own- if it works for you... (this from a man who loves foreskin, who am I to say?)

B_Hamadim

Experimental Member
Media
Fasting from Dusk to dawn for 10 days will Detoxify your body.

During the fasting time, don't eat anything, only drink plenty of pure water.

I guarantee you the success 100%

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sexplease - LOL! about your room mate.
One girl I was dating a few years back and I did the whole raw food diet for a few weeks simply bevause there was a trendy eatery near our house that was a vegan/raw food place so we went there all the time rather than shop or make it ourselves.
I have to say, the food wasn't bad. I enjoyed it but after awhile it was just all the same, pretty boring but if you are comitted to it and can stick to it, the more power to you. I don't recall seeing any overweight people on the raw food diet.
But like previous posters have indicated, there is a need for balance and common sense.

D

deleted213967

But like previous posters have indicated, there is a need for balance and common sense.

Common sense and common cents too. Raw foods like fruits and vegetables have reached obscenely high price points. Late last summer, you could buy a whole month of health club membership for a 2-pound bag of organic grapes from Whole Foods! :eek:

As for not cooking meat in an era of invincible bacteria, you have to be suicidal.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been into healthy eating and physical fitness since the '70s. The two things go hand in hand. At 58 1/2 years old, I'm doing very well health wise. Raw food is a BIG part of what I eat, but I'm a gourmet vegetarian cook as well, and don't see the need to give up cooked food - just make your cooked food smart. Most of my snacks are raw food. Radishes, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, celery, carrots, walnuts, almonds, apples, bananas, grapes, pears, and blueberries. No crackers, chips, cookies, candy, or ice cream. Once you get into eating clean, these things won't taste so good anymore.

Here's a tip: make your own salad dressing / veggie dip. 1/4 cup of chopped garlic, 1/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. It blows away ranch dressing and will have you craving your raw veggies. When I see my coworkers with their Mac Donald's bags at lunchtime, I feel sorry for them for not caring about themselves enough to make a better effort. Processed food high in refined carbs is the worst. My advice to everyone: Make wise decisions. Avoid white flour, white pasta, white rice, potato, sugar in all forms, and alcoholic beverages. A little bit of wine or beer occasionally is okay, but don't do it daily. This will eliminate just about all take out and convenience food, yet it will pay off in later years with good health instead of being plagued with sickness and lack of vitality. My recipe for health and well being is regular vigorous cardio excersise coupled with discipline in the kitchen. My goal is to live to be over 100 years old. So far, it's working!

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Ancient religions used to sacrifice human beings to whatever god(s) were in vogue at the time and it's said that human flesh tastes remarkably similar to pork.

The taste of the pig, and the dying yells of the pig, were so reminiscent, in fact, of human meat, says Christopher Hitchens, that it contributed to the eating of pork as being an "abomination" to early jews.

Jews, in their monotheism, wanted to wash away all traces of polytheism and human sacrifice...

What you have stated is not correct with regard to the primitive Jews willtom27.They did not wash away human sacrifice when their monotheism was founded. In fact human sacrifice was required by their tribal God and prophets. The Old Testament is riddled with such examples of human sacrifice.

Ritual Human Sacrifice

The establishment of monotheism did lead the Hebrews to disassociate themselves from the pig as it was an early heathen god and not due to Hitchens' errant cannibalism presumption.

Re: cannibalism: the Old Testament states if the Hebrews were to suffer the misfortune of running out of food when besieged by an enemy they should resort to cannibalism. Deuteronomy 28: 53-57.

Last edited:

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fasting from Dusk to dawn for 10 days will Detoxify your body.

During the fasting time, don't eat anything, only drink plenty of pure water.

I guarantee you the success 100%

Now how is this differnt from crash dieting which can lead to slwoing down the metabolism?

Rickfuckpole

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hi,

I did/do the raw food thang now and then....tbh, its really quite expensive and very time consuming...there are good points to it and also bad points too.
Look on youtube for "the raw food world tv show" they usually meet rawists from all over the world and have some cool recipes too....worth checking out...also search ani phyo too, shes awesome with snacks and easy treats.

check out www.therawchef.com

in his gallery you can see the art form behind raw food.

hope any of this helps you on your raw quest

Rick

D_Willieford Blabbermouth

Account Disabled
Media
yeh ok...

so the first thing i wanna say is... human body aint made to eat RAW meat hell it doesnt even have the proper organs to digest plant material - rare is fine... not RAW- pointed out

DETOX diets are a myth as it was pointed out a healthy body detoxes completely every 7 days where most toxins are out in like 8hours

when it comes to Jews not eating pork, it is from them being "unclean" meaning dirty. alot of the laws in Deu or Lev come from practical things. Disease controll and cleanliness wasnt as good, pigs will pretty much each anything... any left overs would get thrown to the swine - these scraps would decay and pigs would still eat, since some of the nasty bugs could survive or make it into the pig, eating the pig would mean these resiliant bugs would be passed onto humans...

not to mention all the diseases ecoli botualacocus to name too

Rickfuckpole

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah dude, do not, whatever you decide to eat on your 10 raw stint...do not eat raw meat!

thats an absolute no no as far as im concerned anyway.....if your doing it to "clean" your body...raw meat will NOT help......takes your body like 2-3 weeks to digest cooked meat as it is.