The Real World: Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by yngjock20, Jan 9, 2009.

1. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have to say, in MTV's attempt to be groundbreaking, they've done something really stupid.

Of course, having someone transgendered in the house can cause alot of questioning, but I think that the producers handled the situation quite unfair. Making all of the other housemates guess that there's something "different" about Katelynn.

I'd just expect more from the channel that brought us "Undressed," "Sex in the 90's" and "Date My Mom."

The way that the other guys in the house whispered quietly and giggled that Katelynn was hiding a secret was really stupid and while I'm sure that's how most Americans would act if they were put in that situation, I think it was just wrong that the producers let it get that far.

Maybe it was her idea to tell in her own time, but no doubt when it's time for the reunion special, she's gonna have alot to say about the way they talked behind her back. SMH.

2. pym

pym New Member

I have'nt watched MTV in at least 10 years......One thing i'm sure of, THE REAL WORLD has got absolutely nothing in common with the 'real world'. More like a televised human nature experiment RIGGED to fail. The outcome's of these SITUATIONS are fairly certain. Dave Chapelle nailed it on his show.

3. un1on man0s

un1on man0s New Member

The producers don't interfere with the roomates lives unless they know someones going to do something stupid. I don't think that what they're doing is stupid at all. How can you call it stupid when all youve seen so far is one episode? Of course there's going to be someone in the house or just isn't understanding of different people and I'm sure the producers and Katelynn both knew it. It's a way to change the unaccepting peoples point of view.

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

It's human nature to whisper and wonder about such a thing. "She" should have told everyone right away to avoid any speculation.

5. unique_exposure

unique_exposure New Member

Albums:
    Wow. I have to give Katelynn props for going on the show. Ryan/Brian was the instigator for much of the gossiping-- I suppose that is his unfortunate mechanism for dealing with peoples' unknowns. They showed a snipped of him being kissed by a drag queen, so he'll eventually have to experience some LGBT-ness. Maybe he is this season's "I have to learn tolerance" character, where in past seasons the issue was more race.
    Watching with no commercials is definitely better.
    Haven't been a fan since New Orleans, but this may be worth a watch.

#5 unique_exposure, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I was a fan till the Australia season. that was unwatchable. I still like those competitions that they do Road Rules Real World Challenges.

Did anyone else notice that TV guide no longer posts listings for MTV?

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I really have not been a fan of reality television since Dynasty was cancelled.

8. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    i think it's human nature for whisper about things.you may think it's wrong for act like that, but it's how most humans are. especially if you've never encountered that sitch before, yah?

i'm a tolerant person, and i'm hardly ignorant, but there have been some peoples that i've questioned to myself. "is that a girl or a boy?" in all honesty, i think the guys handled it well. one of them even said "i've just never been exposed to this before and i don't understand it"

yet peoples are condemn him for it? most peoples that have never experienced it usually turn to violence or some other kine offensive way for make that person feel bad and bring harm to him or her

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

There was an episode of "Mad About You" where the main character get on the bus and gives his seat to a pregnant lady holding groceries. It turns out to be a fat man who gets mad that the guy thought he was a lady. :biggrin1:

10. unique_exposure

unique_exposure New Member

Albums:
    I've seen that Mem, :biggrin1:

She said it herself (paraphrase) "I'd like to tell them but the way they are joking about it makes it hard to."

I tend to think a mention to others "is that a?" is pretty normal, but when they are already making jokes about her and she's in the room, not cool. Have some class.

I've watched some trans people go through this is and its painful to watch.

Then again MTV only edits to entertain so who knows what the tone was really like or what the actual event sequence was.

11. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    there was this one girl in my high school, she was a pre-op FTM. she bandaged down her boobs, and had her hair cut short, yah? these 3 homophobic haoles beat her up one day. it was so sad

12. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

That was very disrespectful when the guy on the show called her an "it" and then said he didn't know what to refer to her as.

13. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

ROTFL LMAO :You_Rock_Emoticon:

All i saw was the preview clip online so far and...um....yea.

Draft saved Draft deleted