The Relationship Black Box

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In the movie Meeting Daddy, one of the main characters states that he wishes relationships came with a black box. That way after the relationship crashed and burned you could open the box, replay the tape and see or hear where things went wrong. That way, hopefully you wouldn't make the same mistake(s) again.

Looking back on past relationships, what warnings do you think would have been in your relationship black box? :confused:

Here's a few of mine:
I liked his family more than him. :redface:
He refused to introduce me to his parents. :irked:
He loved cars and fixing them more than me. :mad:
He would forget his wallet whenever we ate some place nice.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Schizophrenia would have been in mine.

Or rather, WARNING: Relationships with schizophrenics are extremely difficult. So buck up, girl. Or, don't.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think sometimes looking back is helpful, but learning to navigate a relationship and recognize the signs and deal with them as they come up are far more important and constructive IMOHO.
I was once on a first date with someone and he threw a butter plate at the waiter to get his attention. I excused myself to go to the bathroom and left. There are times when I don't need to be hit in the head with a 2X4 to realize that there is no going forward with someone. Odd thing was he called me angry and was confused on why I left. He may be looking back wondering what the signs were that soured the date. I have never given it a second thought until I read this thread.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think sometimes looking back is helpful, but learning to navigate a relationship and recognize the signs and deal with them as they come up are far more important and constructive IMOHO.
I was once on a first date with someone and he threw a butter plate at the waiter to get his attention. I excused myself to go to the bathroom and left. There are times when I don't need to be hit in the head with a 2X4 to realize that there is no going forward with someone. Odd thing was he called me angry and was confused on why I left. He may be looking back wondering what the signs were that soured the date. I have never given it a second thought until I read this thread.

Yikes, I probably would have done the same thing. Left that is, not thrown a butter plate at a waiter.

I had one date and one date only with a man who attempted to jump out of his Cherokee to beat up the driver inthe car in front of him. They were in a Plymouth Neon and had started backing up so they could get into a parking space. They did not back into him, but they came close and he freaked out.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
People who drive Plymouth Neons deserve a beating NJ.

He loved cars and fixing them more than me.
Maybe he figured you were fine just the way you are? :biggrin1:

Last edited:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I looked inside my relationship's black box and all I got was darkness. I cut my flashlight on to see what was inside all I could see was a lightbeam and more darkness. So, I decided to close the black box. And get a shoulder messenger bag from the GAP store and call it a day.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
read less nj :)

You know NJ there is something that I said in another thread; I used to be know some people at Cosmo who used to write all this crap to further confuse the American public. Truth to the matter is... they did not have a clue how to accessorize, or how to have a great relationship or even utilize the space in their small NY apartments. So once again I think we would all do well by following our inner compass and use our instincts of what works for us and what does not.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I looked inside my relationship's black box and all I got was darkness. I cut my flashlight on to see what was inside all I could see was a lightbeam and more darkness. So, I decided to close the black box. And get a shoulder messenger bag from the GAP store and call it a day.

You know NJ there is something that I said in another thread; I used to be know some people at Cosmo who used to write all this crap to further confuse the American public. Truth to the matter is... they did not have a clue how to accessorize, or how to have a great relationship or even utilize the space in their small NY apartments. So once again I think we would all do well by following our inner compass and use our instincts of what works for us and what does not.

Someone understood my metaphor. :smile:

B_Bonky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That way after the relationship crashed and burned you could open the box, replay the tape and see or hear where things went wrong. That way, hopefully you wouldn't make the same mistake(s) again.

You're assuming there's something 'wrong' with a relationship that breaks up.