The rent is too damn high!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Andreas Sukov, Oct 25, 2010.

1. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0&feature=player_embedded

To win an election, three things are key. You need a charasmatic candidate. You need a good set of politics, and you need a slogan. This guy has them all.

I dont want to turn this into a post of derision. I actually like him. Let's just admire.

I wish this candidate the best. NYC. You know who to vote for.

2. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

I don't suppose this is any more stupid than the rest of the shite on here :confused:

3. B_New End

B_New End New Member

the whole system is a joke. This guy just plays it for what it is.

4. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think McMillan is an interesting man, he hasn't a chance at winning and his entire thing is about the rent. He hasn't addressed just what it is that will get the rent back in a decent place and if that happens then how will landlords meet the expenses like heat and tax and upkeep.

Where's McMillan on education and all that?

Last yr. he apparently ran in the same party to be Mayor, failed and is now trying at State level to be Governor. At least he's injected humor in the campaign battles.

The Rent Is Too Damn High Party check his website

5. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember the days of the OWL (Out With Logic) Party in Washington State. One candidate promised that if he was elected, "heads would roll": he would, he said, mount Port-o-Potties on wheels and push them around.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

Turns out the candidate's rent is not that high after all. He's either paying $800 a month tops, or has paid nothing at all over the past decade or so for his sweet crib in Flatbush. When he's not there, he sometimes sleeps in his car / mobile office / campaign headquarters / motel room with a pair of nunchucks, illegal in the state of New York.

#6 maxcok, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    now what we need in the Uk is someone with the policy of cutting rents. It just might work. Its got to be done. Who is going to dare do it?

8. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I think that by restricting state paid rents to £400/wk, that'll happen soon!

Add unemployment meaning less cash about, & when interest rates rise- mass repossessions, & we'll be back in 1991-2.

9. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No, the housing benefit thing isnt enough. Interest rates might do it but it will be very messy. I would prefer this to be a managed decline. Red Ken may be right, we need a return to statutory rent limits.

10. B_New End

B_New End New Member

make a law rent can not be more than 50% of the mortgage payment.
    It'll drop housing prices, but allow more people to own than rent.

Down with the gentry.

11. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It would certainly close down the private rented sector because you couldnt do anything except lose money renting out property. A bit harsh? There would be practical difficulties in times when interest rates are changing. It is not possible for some people to own property, so you would have to supply a lot more state rented housing.

12. B_New End

B_New End New Member

You still gain equity. As the system now stands, renters pay the landlord's mortgage. The only determinant of how many houses you can own is how much credit you have. That is why so many properties are run by management companies now. They just buy the house, charge rent = mortgage payment, and build equity. It is quite simple, and inflates housing prices beyond the means of normal working Americans.

It really is quite amazing how you used to be able to buy a house in LA for $750 - $1000. This was for some less than they made in a year. Even a janitor could save his money and buy a house.

13. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    But borrowing to buy still means you have to service the loans and pay to maintain the property. You dont get any equity profit until you sell. Buy to lets rely on the rent to pay the ongoing mortgage. In the UK landlords have been running on zero annual returns already for years, relying on an eventual equity profit. In some places in the UK houses are cheap, but very few. Anywhere most people might want to live they have been above the sorts of level you are talking about for decades. I would say through my lifetime house prices have precisely mirrored the maximum amount of money an average owner can afford to pay. 30 years ago or so it was much harder to get a mortgage and this kept down prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted