The Republican Attack on the Right to Vote

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
From the no-evidence-needed right-wing battalion: "We want voter IDs used because it seems to prevent minorities from voting, and we'll use 'fraud' as an excuse even though it's virtually non-existent."

Of course, limiting voting times and taking polling booths out of inner city areas is always an option to exclude minority votes. The GOP is targeting swing states in an effort to rob minorities of their votes.

In Ohio and Wisconsin, the GOP passed policy that limits voting time -- especially weekend voting (which low-income and black voters prefer). In fact, there is a traidtion in Ohio where black church-goers would swing by polling booths by the busload to vote.

Republican Ohio Secretary of State, Jon Husted, is trying to end voting on Sundays before November's general election. Obviously, voting on Sundays is harmless, so Husted has no rational explanation for this goal because he can't admit that it's to prevent black people from voting.

Are Republicans cheating enough for them to take the Senate in November?

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
From the no-evidence-needed right-wing battalion: "We want voter IDs used because it seems to prevent minorities from voting, and we'll use 'fraud' as an excuse even though it's virtually non-existent."

Of course, limiting voting times and taking polling booths out of inner city areas is always an option to exclude minority votes. The GOP is targeting swing states in an effort to rob minorities of their votes.

In Ohio and Wisconsin, the GOP passed policy that limits voting time -- especially weekend voting (which low-income and black voters prefer). In fact, there is a traidtion in Ohio where black church-goers would swing by polling booths by the busload to vote.

Republican Ohio Secretary of State, Jon Husted, is trying to end voting on Sundays before November's general election. Obviously, voting on Sundays is harmless, so Husted has no rational explanation for this goal because he can't admit that it's to prevent black people from voting.

Are Republicans cheating enough for them to take the Senate in November?

Ah, I get it. Setting the stage for why the Dems could lose in November. It wouldn't have anything to do with: 1-anti obamacare backlash among voters (Republicans, AND Democrats); and/or 2-the traditionally low voter turnout by Democrats for off cycle elections.

Not bad, start the damage control ahead of time. "Those Republicans have cheated their way into the Senate. Must be voter fraud." And it the Republicans are not successful, it will be that "the voters weren't fooled by the nasty Republican tactics." So transparent. Spin either way you look at it.

Stay tuned all, stay tuned.

docdeath

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah, I get it. Setting the stage for why the Dems could lose in November. It wouldn't have anything to do with: 1-anti obamacare backlash among voters (Republicans, AND Democrats); and/or 2-the traditionally low voter turnout by Democrats for off cycle elections.

Not bad, start the damage control ahead of time. "Those Republicans have cheated their way into the Senate. Must be voter fraud." And it the Republicans are not successful, it will be that "the voters weren't fooled by the nasty Republican tactics." So transparent. Spin either way you look at it.

Stay tuned all, stay tuned.

Typical douchebag response!
Why is it all you seem capable of doing is accusing dems of "spin" when you can't defend the slimebag tactics your team needs to use to skew election results in their favor? Obviously YOUR team can't win on their own merits, so they scrape their scumbag methods from the bottom of the barrel, even resorting to throwing their own constituents under the proverbial bus. Whatever it takes to win, right?!?

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Typical douchebag response!
Why is it all you seem capable of doing is accusing dems of "spin" when you can't defend the slimebag tactics your team needs to use to skew election results in their favor? Obviously YOUR team can't win on their own merits, so they scrape their scumbag methods from the bottom of the barrel, even resorting to throwing their own constituents under the proverbial bus. Whatever it takes to win, right?!?
Jjz is the master of spin. It's his response to anything that contrasdictshis beliefs.
Not a word has he said about the gerrymandering that allowed the GOP to hold onto the House in 2012. Now if there was so much voter fraud going on(supposedly all by Democrats if you go by the right wing sources)wouldn't the results have been different? When the GOTP gained so much in 2010 where were all the cries of fraud then? I guess it's only fraud when they lose.

As for this November, Jjz best start his spin machine up again because I know that if you tell people that they can't do something they will really want to prove you wrong. The GOP tried to make it harder in 2012 and look what happened. People waited in lines for over 6 hours to vote. The GOP hopes the turnout will be low but since we all know that this off year election is an important one it wont be a repeat of 2010.

Last edited:

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Figured I'd a little bit more in depth, seeing as how no one else has stepped up and I'm no longer posting from my cell phone. :cool:
Dead people voting would be ended by voter ID's. Here are two articles that admit to this happening in California and S Car.:

"It turns out the claims of 953 votes by dead people actually involved not one election but 74 elections over a seven-year period."

Source- The case of
^^^ though this article set out to debunk claims that 900 dead people voted in the one election, it still admits that it did happen over a longer period if time.

"A closer look at the data revealed that some of the dead people were not only registered, but somehow, even voted, several years after their death. Sometimes, clerks say the mistake can purely be a clerical error, such as a misplaced signature or an outdated registration list that hadn't been purged. Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives' behalf."
What's the explanation for the fraud? From the article: "The report confirms what the State Election Commission had found after preliminarily examining some of the allegations: The so-called votes by dead people were the result of clerical errors or mistaken identities.

For instance, sometimes a son had the same name as a deceased father, and poll workers mixed up a dead father with a living son. (This happened 92 times in the initial probe, and then further investigation found seven more examples.)

In 56 cases, there was “bad data matching,” in which the DMV records had the Social Security of a dead person associated with a living voter. The living voter — with a different name and birth date — properly cast a ballot. Thirty-two votes attributed to dead people were simply the result of too-sensitive scanners.

In one case, someone cast an absentee ballot before dying; their vote still counts under the law. In two other cases, people requested an absentee ballot, but died before returning it, so no harm was done. In other cases, the wrong voter was marked as having cast a vote, and then the marks were not completely erased. There were several other types of clerical errors, too numerous to mention. In the end, just five votes remained unresolved after extensive investigation."

In this one, investigations are being done as to why there are so many dead voters still registered, but it is noted that the 25,000 number is still only .2% of the total voting population. One of the more important notes is that the government actually relies on the public to inform them when people have died. In this case NBC actually helped out by doing a cross check with the Social Security Administration's Master Death File and found 25,000 questionable registered voters. These voters have been flagged so advance notice can be had for future elections and further investigation can purge the people on that list who are actually dead (and don't merely share the same name, birthdate, etc.) from the voting registry.

Nice to see that anyone who is interested in the integrity of the system and has some resources can help out. You know, by fixing irregularities in the system rather than flying off the handle about them. ::Looks sidelong at FOX::

Same deal here with the clerical errors: 'Investigators tell the paper they don't consider the discrepancy fraudulent; the number of votes attributed to deceased voters is too small and their votes are spread out over more than two dozen elections.

County elections commissioner Bill Biamonte said simple clerical errors make it seem as if the dead are voting. For example, a person voting could accidentally sign their name next to a dead person's name rather than their own in a poll registry book.

"There’s no malice, no evil intentions behind this," said Biamonte."Just election day workers or voters making mistakes." '

This is interesting too though not vote fraud but registration fraud. Acorn worker admits actively perpetrating election fraud. He registered 2000 people who didn't even exist. No one argues that registration fraud doesn't exist. Therefore ID laws are necessary because imaginary people cannot vote if an ID is required.

Ex-ACORN worker: 'I paid the price' for voter registration fraud - CNN.com
From the worker's own mouth: "Mitchell said he scammed the system because, "I needed money; I had to support my family and I was new to the area. It was the only job I had."

Mitchell said ACORN threatened to close the office if he and his team didn't meet their quota to register 13 to 20 voters a day. So, without consulting their supervisors, he said, they came up with a plan.

"We came up with the idea: Let's make fraudulent cards. I tell my crew, 'I don't care how you get 'em, just get 'em,' " Mitchell recalled.

Later in the article: 'But University of Washington law professor Eric Schnapper says the idea of fake cards turning into real votes is a myth.

"There are no known instances of fictitious people actually voting," Schnapper said. "You look at some of the names: Mickey Mouse. Dr. Seuss. Mickey Mouse only votes in Disneyland. He's not going to show up at a critical precinct in West Virginia or North Carolina."

..." Schnapper said there's no evidence that any worker intended to commit voter fraud and actually take those names, produce phony identification and vote on Election Day.

Threats of criminal prosecution may scare some groups into closing voter registration drives, according to Schnapper. It could scare actual voters away from the polls as well, he said, "and that really does affect the outcomes of the election."

A report from the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University Law School supports his claim. Researchers reviewed voter fraud claims across the country and found that most were caused by technical glitches, clerical errors or mistakes made by voters. One other finding: A person is more likely to be struck by lightning than to impersonate another voter at the polls."

Took me 5 minutes to find thousands of examples. You guys need to start broadening your information sources because you are either clearly idiots or just love being lied too.
Read beyond the headlines. This isn't even a GOP vs Democrat thing. This is about how journalists suck people in with misleading headlines and early info, then come clean later in the article with the actual facts. You have to be a bit more discerning and rely A LOT LESS on confirmation bias to get the facts.

On the note of not getting sucked in by bad journalism, I'll let this guy explain some reasons why not too. Hopefully he can make you laugh in the process too. 5 Disturbing Reasons Not to Trust the News (From a Reporter) | Cracked.com

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Figured I'd a little bit more in depth, seeing as how no one else has stepped up and I'm no longer posting from my cell phone. :cool:
What's the explanation for the fraud? From the article: "The report confirms what the State Election Commission had found after preliminarily examining some of the allegations: The so-called votes by dead people were the result of clerical errors or mistaken identities.

For instance, sometimes a son had the same name as a deceased father, and poll workers mixed up a dead father with a living son. (This happened 92 times in the initial probe, and then further investigation found seven more examples.)

In 56 cases, there was “bad data matching,” in which the DMV records had the Social Security of a dead person associated with a living voter. The living voter — with a different name and birth date — properly cast a ballot. Thirty-two votes attributed to dead people were simply the result of too-sensitive scanners.

In one case, someone cast an absentee ballot before dying; their vote still counts under the law. In two other cases, people requested an absentee ballot, but died before returning it, so no harm was done. In other cases, the wrong voter was marked as having cast a vote, and then the marks were not completely erased. There were several other types of clerical errors, too numerous to mention. In the end, just five votes remained unresolved after extensive investigation."

In this one, investigations are being done as to why there are so many dead voters still registered, but it is noted that the 25,000 number is still only .2% of the total voting population. One of the more important notes is that the government actually relies on the public to inform them when people have died. In this case NBC actually helped out by doing a cross check with the Social Security Administration's Master Death File and found 25,000 questionable registered voters. These voters have been flagged so advance notice can be had for future elections and further investigation can purge the people on that list who are actually dead (and don't merely share the same name, birthdate, etc.) from the voting registry.

Nice to see that anyone who is interested in the integrity of the system and has some resources can help out. You know, by fixing irregularities in the system rather than flying off the handle about them. ::Looks sidelong at FOX::

Same deal here with the clerical errors: 'Investigators tell the paper they don't consider the discrepancy fraudulent; the number of votes attributed to deceased voters is too small and their votes are spread out over more than two dozen elections.

County elections commissioner Bill Biamonte said simple clerical errors make it seem as if the dead are voting. For example, a person voting could accidentally sign their name next to a dead person's name rather than their own in a poll registry book.

"There’s no malice, no evil intentions behind this," said Biamonte."Just election day workers or voters making mistakes." '

From the worker's own mouth: "Mitchell said he scammed the system because, "I needed money; I had to support my family and I was new to the area. It was the only job I had."

Mitchell said ACORN threatened to close the office if he and his team didn't meet their quota to register 13 to 20 voters a day. So, without consulting their supervisors, he said, they came up with a plan.

"We came up with the idea: Let's make fraudulent cards. I tell my crew, 'I don't care how you get 'em, just get 'em,' " Mitchell recalled.

Later in the article: 'But University of Washington law professor Eric Schnapper says the idea of fake cards turning into real votes is a myth.

"There are no known instances of fictitious people actually voting," Schnapper said. "You look at some of the names: Mickey Mouse. Dr. Seuss. Mickey Mouse only votes in Disneyland. He's not going to show up at a critical precinct in West Virginia or North Carolina."

..." Schnapper said there's no evidence that any worker intended to commit voter fraud and actually take those names, produce phony identification and vote on Election Day.

Threats of criminal prosecution may scare some groups into closing voter registration drives, according to Schnapper. It could scare actual voters away from the polls as well, he said, "and that really does affect the outcomes of the election."

A report from the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University Law School supports his claim. Researchers reviewed voter fraud claims across the country and found that most were caused by technical glitches, clerical errors or mistakes made by voters. One other finding: A person is more likely to be struck by lightning than to impersonate another voter at the polls."

Read beyond the headlines. This isn't even a GOP vs Democrat thing. This is about how journalists suck people in with misleading headlines and early info, then come clean later in the article with the actual facts. You have to be a bit more discerning and rely A LOT LESS on confirmation bias to get the facts.

On the note of not getting sucked in by bad journalism, I'll let this guy explain some reasons why not too. Hopefully he can make you laugh in the process too. 5 Disturbing Reasons Not to Trust the News (From a Reporter) | Cracked.com
I hope you're prepared to see all your excellent research just dismissed as "spin".

Popyuu

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Have you noticed how quiet it is? That one poster was a new guy. I wonder where the rest are. Ah well its not like they have the ability to change history.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
No other attempts in 3 days? C'mon, isn't voter fraud a serious epidemic? So much so that millions of people being possibly disenfranchised is a small price to pay? Perhaps something besides the only 10 proven cases of someone committing this crime between the year 2000 and 2012? Indictments? Court Cases? Names? Anything? Didn't you say...
Took me 5 minutes to find thousands of examples. You guys need to start broadening your information sources because you are either clearly idiots or just love being lied too.
Where are those thousands of examples?

rogerg

Cherished Member
Media
Lol, do you actually read these articles before posting them as "proof"?

First article- concludes that the votes which were interspersed over 74 elections (already disqualified, less than 57 votes in one) were not intentional fraud, but confirmed clerical errors.

Second article- clerical errors.

Third article- clerical errors.

Fourth Article - guy made up people to register do he could meet ACORN's registration quotas. It is even confirmed that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY these phony registration could ever turn into votes.

Try reading the whole article rather than the headlines. I'll be waiting.

I apparently read the articles better than you or perhaps I read them instead of only seeing what I wanted to see.

From the second Article- "A closer look at the data revealed that some of the dead people were not only registered, but somehow, even voted, several years after their death. Sometimes, clerks say the mistake can purely be a clerical error, such as a misplaced signature or an outdated registration list that hadn't been purged. Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives' behalf.

and

However, in at least one other case NBC Bay Area uncovered, Weir suspects something else could be afoot. Though he wouldn't be specific, he referred one of the cases to the district attorney for a potential fraud investigation.

And then there was this treasonous cunt who admitted doing it.
Cincinnati poll worker charged with voting half dozen times in November | Fox News

In a nation of roughly 150 million voters, the belief that voter fraud doesn't exist when there are clear examples of it occurring ^^^ and people admitting to doing it ^^^ takes stupidity and/or dishonesty to a whole new level.

I don't suspect that any number of examples will be enough to convince those who have an aversion for truth when it stands in the way of furthering their political agendas. Democrats depend on fraud in order to win election. Despicable creature you all are.

rogerg

Cherished Member
Media

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No other attempts in 3 days? C'mon, isn't voter fraud a serious epidemic? So much so that millions of people being possibly disenfranchised is a small price to pay? Perhaps something besides the only 10 proven cases of someone committing this crime between the year 2000 and 2012? Indictments? Court Cases? Names? Anything? Didn't you say...
Where are those thousands of examples?
Those "thousands of examples" exist on sites like "liberalsareevil.com", "democratsalwayslie.com", and "republicansaretheonlyrealamericans.com" and also only if facts don't matter:wink:

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I apparently read the articles better than you or perhaps I read them instead of only seeing what I wanted to see.

From the second Article- "A closer look at the data revealed that some of the dead people were not only registered, but somehow, even voted, several years after their death. Sometimes, clerks say the mistake can purely be a clerical error, such as a misplaced signature or an outdated registration list that hadn't been purged. Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives' behalf.

and

However, in at least one other case NBC Bay Area uncovered, Weir suspects something else could be afoot. Though he wouldn't be specific, he referred one of the cases to the district attorney for a potential fraud investigation.

And then there was this treasonous cunt who admitted doing it.
Cincinnati poll worker charged with voting half dozen times in November | Fox News

In a nation of roughly 150 million voters, the belief that voter fraud doesn't exist when there are clear examples of it occurring ^^^ and people admitting to doing it ^^^ takes stupidity and/or dishonesty to a whole new level.

I don't suspect that any number of examples will be enough to convince those who have an aversion for truth when it stands in the way of furthering their political agendas. Democrats depend on fraud in order to win election. Despicable creature you all are.
I know that a lot of you right wing wingnuts aren't too bright but aren't you at least smart enough to realize that anyone who read the article you misquoted would know that you lied?
The case of ‘zombie’ voters in South Carolina - The Washington Post

Shwedo, who at the time acknowledged that at least some of the allegations could be the result of clerical errors, did not respond to a request for comment. (Update: Shwedo said he has not yet read the report but there was “probable cause to believe there were voting discrepancies. For us to not have an investigation would have been irresponsible.”)
“The initial claims reported to the Attorney General’s Office were alarming,” said J. Mark Powell, communications director for Wilson. “They were not vague allegations, but contained specific information. The state’s chief prosecutor cannot stand by when presented with such a situation. So SLED was asked to investigate this matter. We appreciate SLED’s hard work in preparing this report.”
Now where in the article does the following statement appear?
"Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives' behalf."

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All that rage directed at ACORN. Where's the outrage for this organization?
The real GOP voter fraud: Employees admit forging voter registration forms | MSNBC
GOP Voter Fraud Accusations Suddenly Blowing Up In Their Faces
In GOP voter registration fraud case, echoes of ACORN, but differences, too | Tampa Bay Times

But in the only statewide ACORN investigation that led to arrests, the group blew the whistle on itself.
In June 2008, ACORN's Florida organizer alerted Miami-Dade County law enforcement that 1,400 registration forms that hadn't been turned in appeared to be problematic. Of that total, 888 were found to be fraudulent, in some cases registering the likes of actor Paul Newman and singer James Taylor.
"To their credit, they brought the forms to us," said Joseph Centorino, who successfully prosecuted that case against 11 ACORN workers in Miami-Dade County. "They turned over a whole box of forms that they thought had been done fraudulently. As far as I know, these forms were never filed at the elections offices."
That level of cooperation hasn't been exhibited by Strategic Allied Consulting, the vendor hired by the Republican Party of Florida in July. No company official alerted state elections workers about problematic forms until they were already detected by elections workers. On Sept. 17, an elections worker in Palm Beach County flagged questionable forms after spotting obvious irregularities.
It wasn't until that discovery was reported by the Palm Beach Post on Sept. 25 that state Republicans say they knew about problems with forms the firm was filing on behalf of the party. After firing the company last week, the state GOP filed an election fraud complaint against the vendor.

As for the woman who voted more than once in a single election, here's her counterpart and his wife. Still outraged?
http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/14256-gop-looks-in-mirror-spots-voter-fraud
Sadly, these self-appointed guardians of ballot integrity haven't had much luck in sniffing out, you know, actual documented cases of such fraud.
But, whew, what's that smell? Why it's Bruce Fleming, a Republican running for county commissioner in Sugar Land, Texas - which happens to be the home of True the Vote's founder, Catherine Engelbrecht.
Fleming turns out to be a blatant, serial violator of our nation's laws to protect - you got it - voter integrity. In 2006, 2008, and 2010, he voted in person in Sugar Land, and also by mail in Yardley, Pennsylvania, where he and his wife Nancy own a home. In 2010, she also voted in both Texas and Pennsylvania - a gross double-dipping felony.

Last edited:

rogerg

Cherished Member
Media
I know that a lot of you right wing wingnuts aren't too bright but aren't you at least smart enough to realize that anyone who read the article you misquoted would know that you lied?
The case of ‘zombie’ voters in South Carolina - The Washington Post

Shwedo, who at the time acknowledged that at least some of the allegations could be the result of clerical errors, did not respond to a request for comment. (Update: Shwedo said he has not yet read the report but there was “probable cause to believe there were voting discrepancies. For us to not have an investigation would have been irresponsible.”)
“The initial claims reported to the Attorney General’s Office were alarming,” said J. Mark Powell, communications director for Wilson. “They were not vague allegations, but contained specific information. The state’s chief prosecutor cannot stand by when presented with such a situation. So SLED was asked to investigate this matter. We appreciate SLED’s hard work in preparing this report.”
Now where in the article does the following statement appear?
"Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives' behalf."

Awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that you insult my intelligence and call me a lie BECAUSE you cant count. I said SECOND article. its the 4th paragraph down dipshit. Here Ill post it again for you and make it real easy:

Dead And Still Voting | NBC Bay Area

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that you insult my intelligence and call me a lie BECAUSE you cant count. I said SECOND article. its the 4th paragraph down dipshit. Here Ill post it again for you and make it real easy:

Dead And Still Voting | NBC Bay Area
I will admit my error in going by the quote you posted. Funny how the same phrase is used in two different articles. I still stand by my position though that the numbers of suspected cases doesn't justify disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Even in your article it shows that the number is extremely small.

Weir attributes most of the posthumous votes to mistaken signatures and clerical errors. However, in at least one other case NBC Bay Area uncovered, Weir suspects something else could be afoot.

rogerg

Cherished Member
Media
I still stand by my position though that the numbers of suspected cases doesn't justify disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of innocent people. .

Sure it does. This is the exact same way Democrats justify:

1) Sanctioning the slaughter of millions of unborn babies in order to protect the right of that one rare-never happens case where the woman's life is in danger or she was raped by her brother.

2) wanting to disarm 300 million law abiding Americans of their personal protection because a nut bag ever couple of years shoots a dozen children.

3) create hate crime laws because ONE gay kid was beaten to death (an it turns out he was killed because of a drug deal).

4) A cross or some religious symbol has to be removed from a place shared by an entire community because ONE fucking douche bag is offended.

And the list goes on. Making the exception the rule is a move taken directly out of the Democratic party playbook. The difference in this case is its being used against you and in order to stop election fraud where more than enough evidence exist that this stuff happens. however, unlike your ilk, we aren't advocating infanticide on demand as a solution, or doing away with the second Amendment, rewriting felony crime laws, or secularizing an entire nation. We are advocating only that folks get free picture ID's and they bring them with them when they vote. Sounds reasonable to me compared to lengths democrats will go to disenfranchise everyone they disagree with.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Since in person voter fraud is considered the most difficult form of fraud why not focus on the fraud that is easiest to commit?
Christensen: GOP goes after the wrong kind of voter fraud | Rob Christensen | NewsObserver.com
Absentee ballots: Easy to cast, open to fraud - Political Currents - MiamiHerald.com
Absentee voting rises

Why would they choose to ignore it?
Republicans lead in absentee ballot requests :: WRAL.com

Why would state officials in Florida move to cut early voting and expand absentee balloting?

“This is the only area in Florida where we’ve made it easier to cast a ballot,” Daniel Smith, a political scientist at the University of Florida, said of absentee voting.
He posited a reason that Republican officials in particular have pushed to expand absentee voting. “The conventional wisdom is that Republicans use absentee ballots and Democrats vote early,” he said.
Republicans are in fact more likely than Democrats to vote absentee. In the 2008 general election in Florida, 47 percent of absentee voters were Republicans and 36 percent were Democrats.

It appears that belief that absentee balloting is the largest source of potential voter fraud has some bipartisan support
There is a bipartisan consensus that voting by mail, whatever its impact, is more easily abused than other forms. In a 2005 report signed by President Jimmy Carter and James Baker, who served as secretary of state under the first President George Bush, the Commission on Federal Election Reform concluded, “Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.”

The problem is not limited to the elderly, of course. Absentee ballots also make it much easier to buy and sell votes. In recent years, courts have invalidated mayoral elections in Illinois and Indiana because of fraudulent absentee ballots.
Voting by mail also played a crucial role in the 2000 presidential election in Florida, when the margin between George W. Bush and Al Gore was razor thin and hundreds of absentee ballots were counted in apparent violation of state law. The flawed ballots, from Americans living abroad, included some without postmarks, some postmarked after the election, some without witness signatures, some mailed from within the U.S. and some sent by people who voted twice. All would have been disqualified had the state’s election laws been strictly enforced.
Election law experts say that pulling off in-person voter fraud on a scale large enough to swing an election, with scores if not hundreds of people committing a felony in public by pretending to be someone else, is hard to imagine, to say nothing of exceptionally risky.
There are much simpler and more effective alternatives to commit fraud on such a scale, said Heather Gerken, a law professor at Yale.
“You could steal some absentee ballots or stuff a ballot box or bribe an election administrator or fiddle with an electronic voting machine,” she said. That explains, she said, “why all the evidence of stolen elections involves absentee ballots and the like.”
Yeah, let's not worry about stolen absentee ballots one bit:rolleyes: