b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
images

Court Strikes Down Ohio Congressional Map, Says It's Gerrymandered To Benefit GOP | HuffPost

states-voting-map-2016-tennessee-electoral-map-bnhspine-of-states-voting-map-2016.jpg

Civil Rights Groups Sue Tennessee Over New Law That Puts Voter Registration Drives At Risk | HuffPost

Voter suppression?? You mean voter ID laws? Those people could get an id if they really WANTED one... IF it were "important" enough to them.

Reactions: deleted15807

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yes, the very ones who falsely accused minorities and liberals of "voter fraud" CONTINUE TO RIG THE VOTE... REPUBLICAN STYLE

Embracing Jim Crow-era rules, Florida GOP passes poll tax that could ban up to 1 million from voting
Florida’s Republican legislature just undid Amendment 4.

The increased efforts on the part of these b------------ds to RIG THE VOTE is because they lost their ASSES in 2018. So being unable to win fair and square the underhanded m--------- f---------- resort to cheating... of course:

After the 2018 Blue Wave, Republicans Are Making It Harder to Vote – Mother Jones

"Key battleground states like Florida are adopting new voter suppression laws before the 2020 election.

.... hundreds of thousands of ... Floridians could lose the chance to regain their voting rights because of legislation that just passed Florida’s Republican-controlled legislature. The measure would require people with felony convictions to pay all restitution, fines, and fees resulting from their sentences before becoming eligible to vote.

The bill could disenfranchise more than half a million Floridians who have not completed restitution payments.

The move to gut Amendment 4 is part of a broader effort by Republican-controlled states to restrict access to the ballot after voters approved ballot initiatives in November’s midterm elections to expand voting rights and elected Democrats who supported policies like automatic voter registration and felon reenfranchisement.

“There is an uptick in activity around measures to restrict voting access,” the Brennan Center for Justice states in a new report, with 19 bills restricting voting access moving through state legislatures in 10 states."

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was going to post this but I should have known that if I didn't you would.

Where are all the "conservatives" who are so concerned with stopping fraud they insist ID is all that is needed? No one could ever commit fraud using absentee ballots. No need to do anything about the sanctity of the vote where absentee ballots are concerned.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I was going to post this but I should have known that if I didn't you would.

Where are all the "conservatives" who are so concerned with stopping fraud they insist ID is all that is needed? No one could ever commit fraud using absentee ballots. No need to do anything about the sanctity of the vote where absentee ballots are concerned.

Republicans don't care about the illegal manipulation of, discarding of, and falsifying of absentee ballots - because THAT is one of the ways THEY have long engaged in voter fraud.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenobserver

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
Lokk

We all KNOW that it is ONLY "voter fraud" when a Democrat wins

If/when a Republican wins, even if it is by only ONE or maybe 537 votes it is "the will of the people" and it is "not to be questioned"

What was one of the fights over in Bush V Gore?

Absentee ballots

Which they, the Republicans successfully "re-branded" as "overseas military ballots" despite the fact that most were not in fact from people serving in the military overseas or otherwise and many were in fact from people who had NEVER been in the military and were in fact present inside the US often in fact in the state of Florida

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Dubya's presidency via EDICT of a conservative SCOTUS and the various other means by which Republicans and their associates manipulated the results, were proof to conservatives that they could have it THEIR way, regardless of the will of the majority.

And they've been doing so ever since.

Last edited:

Pahhppii

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Voter ID laws shouldn't even be debated. Of course there are countless things to improve with voting, especially the electronic shit. But, an ID is so freaking minimal.... C'mon people.

Why do we sometimes need ID's to check if our names match the credit cards we are purchasing with? Wait for it....

Why do we need an ID to cash a check without a bank account? Wait for it...

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
riiiiiiiiight........

Moving right along:

Texas GOP doubles down on voter suppression push — targeting veterans, the elderly and voters with disabilities

"Texas Republicans are pushing two new bills that critics say are aimed at suppressing voter turnout after a similar bill died days before the end of their legislative session.

On Sunday, a State Senate bill that was passed with only Republican support, which would have increased criminal penalties for voter registration-related crimes and made it harder for volunteers to help elderly and disabled voters get to the polls, effectively died after it missed a legislative deadline in the House, The Texas Observer reported.

With the legislative session drawing to an end, Republican lawmakers have passed two more bills that critics say are intended to reduce voter turnout.

House Bill 1888 would ban mobile polling stations, which help college students, the elderly and low-income residents cast ballots, from being mobile. The bill would require these temporary branch polling places to remain in just one location for the duration of the early voting period. Mobile polling stations are currently used as a way to address demand and wait times for groups that may have difficulty getting to a polling location, like rural voters, college students and residents at long-term care facilities.

Republicans also doubled down on the state’s failed attempted voter purge. Earlier this year, Texas Secretary of State David Whitley announced that the state had identified nearly 100,000 people he claimed were illegally registered to vote. Whitley later admitted that many of the people on the list were actually naturalized citizens and a federal judge banned the state from removing anyone from the rolls without court permission, slamming Whitley for abusing “the power of government to strike fear and anxiety and to intimidate the least powerful among us.”

Republican state Sen. Bryan Hughes introduced an amendment this week that would require the secretary of state to verify voter eligibility by confirming their citizenship status on a monthly basis.

Democrats said the bill raised the same concerns as Whitley’s failed purge attempt.

“My concern is that we’re just going to put a target on naturalized citizens and keep them from being eligible to vote,” San Antonio Democrat José Menendez told The Texas Observer.""

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Voter ID laws shouldn't even be debated. Of course there are countless things to improve with voting, especially the electronic shit. But, an ID is so freaking minimal.... C'mon people.

Why do we sometimes need ID's to check if our names match the credit cards we are purchasing with? Wait for it....

Why do we need an ID to cash a check without a bank account? Wait for it...
Still waiting for you right wingers to focus on fixing the fraud associated with absentee ballots.

How about not sending one out unless the request for one comes with a notarized copy of your ID? How about not sending one unless you present verifiable proof that you will definitely need one?

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Still waiting for you right wingers to focus on fixing the fraud associated with absentee ballots.

How about not sending one out unless the request for one comes with a notarized copy of your ID? How about not sending one unless you present verifiable proof that you will definitely need one?

No, that's a bridge too far. Just what we need, a panel to decide who is worthy of an absentee ballot. As for notary, in my area they are rare and charge a fee, often require an appointment, and the fee would be a poll tax of sorts. When I've used absentee ballots I applied in person and mailed it in (knowing I would be unable to vote in person). In my county you can request the application over the phone and mail it in, then get the ballot by mail, but in an emergency where the need is sudden, the election board sends an employee with the ballot to where the voter is, in the county and allows them to vote and returns the sealed ballot.
It seems to have worked okay, but to be fair we are a smaller more rural area losing population steadily.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, that's a bridge too far. Just what we need, a panel to decide who is worthy of an absentee ballot. As for notary, in my area they are rare and charge a fee, often require an appointment, and the fee would be a poll tax of sorts. When I've used absentee ballots I applied in person and mailed it in (knowing I would be unable to vote in person). In my county you can request the application over the phone and mail it in, then get the ballot by mail, but in an emergency where the need is sudden, the election board sends an employee with the ballot to where the voter is, in the county and allows them to vote and returns the sealed ballot.
It seems to have worked okay, but to be fair we are a smaller more rural area losing population steadily.
So it would be unfair to ask the Republicans (those that overwhelmingly use absentee ballots) to pay a fee to have a form notarized but Republicans think it's fair to impose a fee to get the approved ID?

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So it would be unfair to ask the Republicans (those that overwhelmingly use absentee ballots) to pay a fee to have a form notarized but Republicans think it's fair to impose a fee to get the approved ID?

The irony abounds. Seriously, fee aside a notary would be an epic road block for many. They are rare and not conveniently located like they were when I was growing up.

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
The irony abounds. Seriously, fee aside a notary would be an epic road block for many. They are rare and not conveniently located like they were when I was growing up.

Just about as rare as those Scott Walker made to be rare "reduced operating hours DMV's that are ALWAYS "not conveniently located" way out in the burbs, beyond the reach of public transportation

To obtain the "source documents" they often require a fee is normally charged

It never dawned on you that ANYONE could call and request someone else's absentee ballot, you know that husband who has been DEAD for 10 years, or that ex-wife that after the divorce moved out of the state

How come you do NOT care about that ???

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just about as rare as those Scott Walker made to be rare "reduced operating hours DMV's that are ALWAYS "not conveniently located" way out in the burbs, beyond the reach of public transportation

To obtain the "source documents" they often require a fee is normally charged

It never dawned on you that ANYONE could call and request someone else's absentee ballot, you know that husband who has been DEAD for 10 years, or that ex-wife that after the divorce moved out of the state

How come you do NOT care about that ???

I do care about that, but the notarized forms are not a solution - they are another problem. The recent absentee problems had zero to do with who called for a ballot - they had more to do with how those ballots were handled. No one should be allowed to pick up another person's ballot except a certified election judge. By backing a notarize form you are setting the stage for mandating everyone have the sometimes elusive photo id approved by the legislators who want to reduce turn out. You can't have it both way.