The Republican Resurgence: Assailing Obanomics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Nick4444, Jun 6, 2009.

1. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Are we on the way to seeing the Republican Party becoming the majority political party once more?

"This is President Obama's economy now," said House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R., Va.).
    Republicans noted that a report by the Obama transition team in early January said that without a large stimulus plan, unemployment would go above 9%. It is now above that level, despite passage of the stimulus plan, though less than 5% of funds have been spent.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124424486700390517.html

Pelosi and the Obama transition team in January trumpeted the need for the Obama stimulus package warning that without it, the unemployment rate would hit double digits:

Obama stressed that the consequences of inaction would be grim. Unemployment could reach double digits, the economy could lose $1 trillion, or $12,000 for a family of four; fewer young Americans would be able to go to college or receive adequate job training. He predicted the nation could lose its competitive edge.

MarketWatch.com Story

Well, Obama got his stimulus package implemented, and unemployment has hit 9.4%, well on it's way to the double digit mark.

That's the average figure; Among the lower-educated, traditional Democratic base of support, the figures are even higher:

The unemployment rate for workers over 25 years old who haven't gone beyond high school rose to 10% in May, nearly doubling from 5.2% a year earlier, the government said Friday. Among workers who haven't completed high school, the unemployment rate rose to 15.5%, compared with 8.4% last year.

The past two recessions -- 1990-91 and 2001 -- were more "egalitarian" than the current one, said Harvard University labor economist Lawrence Katz. For less educated men, the current recession "is more like the early 1980s and the 1970s, when that was the group that really got creamed," Mr. Katz said.

The Less Educated Take the Worst Hit - WSJ.com

The impact is also being felt politically, as Pelosi and Obama are finding they have to reign in their pet projects:

... the unemployment numbers stirred anxiety on Capitol Hill. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) had to pull a $100 billion war-spending bill from the House floor Thursday after lawmakers revolted over billions of dollars for the International Monetary Fund. The funding is critical if Mr. Obama is to keep a pledge secured by the Group of 20 industrialized and developing nations at the London summit in April. (emphasis added)

Employment Report Fuels GOP Attack on Obama Policies - WSJ.com

The obvious in for the Republican Party is to re-emphasize its ancient roots of populism, especially as the results of the Obama progams disclose, in their consequences, whom they were really meant to benefit -- the large multi-national corporations, and the Wall Street elites, certainly not the American Middle Class or working classes.

Another glitter of hope is the out-migration of immigrant workers, in that one of globalism's postulates becomes untenable:

The shift in migration poses a new challenge to the promise of globalization. Many economists and policymakers have long argued that widespread labor movement is a win-win because it boosts opportunities for people from poor countries while giving rich-world employers more options for labor, allowing them to increase efficiency and keep costs low. That, in turn, can keep inflation in check and contribute to higher standards of living. Many economists still believe that, but it's becoming harder to make their case as unemployment surges, income gaps widen and home-grown workers increasingly view foreigners as competitors for scarce jobs.

The Great U-Turn - WSJ.com

All of this is taking place within the context of a political shift to the right in Europe, led by Germany and Italy, fueled by the same phenomena:

This shift to right-wing conservatism is acting as a unifying force in the European Union as nations across Europe take a common view on how to solve problems like illegal immigration, economic slowdown and global terrorism. Such a unified approach also presents a perfect scenario for a single European nation to rise up as the leader of the EU.

A right-leaning Europe could be united under one leader, particularly since the states are brought closer together by common problems such as immigration and economic reform. … For the first time in decades, Germany is a full and powerful member of the European community. More important, for the first time in centuries, there is no established political regime in Europe to counter German ambitions.
    Germany was the nation that kicked off this conservative shift in Europe. Germany is the nation that most Europeans look to for leadership. The EU’s political landscape is surging right. Expect Germany to take advantage of this situation and to emerge as the full-blown leader of a united Europe.

The Rise of Right-Wing Europe | theTrumpet.com

Reminiscent of the resurgence of the Republicans seen with the failure of James Earl Carter to win election to a second-term, paving the way for Reagan, I would say.

Will the Republican Party be able to seize on the massive impending failure of Obanomics?

#1 B_Nick4444, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    we need another two years to TRULY see

are you somewhat afraid or relief?

3. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:
    You have no idea what's going to happen. The reforms haven't even begun to take effect yet, and NOBODY thought the damn thing could turn on a dime (it's not possible, it's too big).

Republicans can keep on HOPING they're going to "resurge"---but not this decade. It's possible by 2012 (but I hope not).

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

They don't have a prayer, especially after all of the polarizing comments & actions made by their party towards people who are different from the voices of the extreme right. They're just hoping that Obama fails or at least the economy doesn't recover enough for people to notice.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    As usual you are cherry picking from articles to support your agenda Nick. Anyone who reads them can see it. The stories from the WSJ are much more balanced than you let on and contain information and quotes from sources that refute your points.

Your history of cherry-picking, editing quotes and posting while intoxicated means few here take you seriously. You should just stay on the sidelines cheering Starinvestor.

But I will agree that the Republicans have a chance of coming back. The American voters have exhibited that level of stupidity before, so it could happen again. I mean, George Bush twice?? Reagan. Blagovich. Pelosi. Wilbur Mills? I could go on and on. Quite the stellar crew of leaders your voters pick.

#5 vince, Jun 6, 2009
  6. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

What's the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

One is a flaming Nazi gasbag, and the other one was a Zeppelin.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

i am curious, what are "the reforms" you are referring to that "haven't even begun to take effect yet?"

8. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Still waiting for that Republican alternative, mate.
    Any time now. Really. Before I turn 30, which is in another nine months (from today, actually!)

9. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

Vince got it entirely correct. I have read each one of the linked articles (for the most part re-read, since I generally get through the WSJ every day). Nick????'s insipid game here is to take an original article, which looks at these complicated issues in a lot more depth, and then write his own interpretation.

There are only two explanations: Nick???? does not understand or chooses not to understand what the original sources actually say. If the first explanation is correct, fair enough, we can talk about the details. I somewhat doubt this is the case, because I have never seen the OP engage in any about the actual issues, monetary policy versus deficit spending to avoid a depression. He just writes his unleashes his brightly colored, Fascist haiku posts, and thinks that is a discussion.

The second explanation is more likely, in my opinion. Nick???? is betting that a few people here won't read the original source, and see that it is much more complex than his interpretation. He is a charlatan, trying to legitimize his political opinions with a headline that does not actually support him.

Even the WSJ, as conservative and in political opposition to President Obama as any major paper, still usually gets the economic story about right. This is not to say it is actually balanced, there are many stories that it simply never runs that would be necessary to be non-partisan. And, the opinion page is for pathological liars, like Rove, so that is really a different issue.

My least favorite recent WSJ article stated that "half of all Americans pay no taxes". This is an absurd and willful manipulation of facts to try to make a political point. In fact, if you consider total tax burden like an economist would this is far from the truth. Total tax burden of course includes payroll taxes (social security and medicare), state taxes (excise and sales taxes), and usage taxes (gas, etc). Yes, our tax system is progressive. But, a focus on income taxes alone is simply misleading. Personally, I just don't buy the idea that discrimination against the wealthy is our country's major problem.

10. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

This administration has been nothing short of a fiscal disaster.

In fact, they are mirroring the behavior of the mortgage industry circa 2002-2007; leveraging little/no assets and printing more and more debt.

A huge stimulus bill (spending bill) that had roughly 6% actual stimulus and unemployment is approaching double digits; and tax receipts are shrinking by the month. An irreversible fiscal implosion in imminent.

The fiscal destruction will turn many against the silver tongued P.R. machine over the next 8 - 12 months; and by 2011 approval ratings will be in the teens.

In spite of this administration's outlandish spending and and policy gaffes, some industries will recover and thrive; but it won't be nearly enough to placate Americans as our national spending is and continues to resemble the spending and fiscal respnsibility of Mike Tyson.

Obama's legacy will be that of the most reckless and harmful fiscal destruction in U.S. history. Mark my words.

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Ugh... someone make the conservitard stop!!

12. D_Brecock Evileye

D_Brecock Evileye New Member

LMAO:lmao:

13. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    As for the Republican Party I have but one word to ponder; "Whig"!

14. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Even six years into the Bush Jr administration, people were constantly saying that he had to live all of Clinton's mistakes--you know--a balanced budget?

Wait and see what happens.

Star Investor is plugging away at pro Bush viewpoints. You cannot defend Bush.

15. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

You obviously have an extreme case of adult A.D.D.

Here you go, flying off point again.

There was nothing 'pro-Bush' about my post. Simply that republicans will begin gaining steam as Obama's horrible, horrible fiscal recklessness begins unraveling for all to see.

To indulge your wildly off-point tangent....it will take several (possibly 4 to 5) more presidential terms to get the ship back on course after Obama literally bankrupts the U.S. treasury and brings in unheard-of inflation levels not seen since Carter.

16. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Are we on the way to seeing the Republican Party becoming the majority political party once more?

Oh, Nick, you're a glass half full kind of guy, aren't you? Dream on. Next thing we know you'll be telling us about how you're this ripped, hot guy who plays rugby and actually has sex. With other people, I mean. We're not buying that either.

#16 B_Nick8, Jun 6, 2009
  17. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The republican resurgence is a figment of Nick's imagination. The Republican(whig) party has never been in such disarray. I'm enjoying the show.

18. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    Only something like $58 billion of the stimulus has actually been dispersed. We just had the first ground breaking of a federally funded stimulus project in Pennsylvania LAST WEEK. It's a bridge rebuilding project that is supposed to take 2 years. It put 200 people back to work. These guys haven't even received their first paycheck yet!

Bit early to be passing judgment no??

19. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    Industrial size. In your sig you write

I've always had a problem with this. If I ever became President, I wouldn't swear on the bible, I would swear on the Constitution.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Thedrewbert: For the conservitards, it's never to early to whine, bitch and moan. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted