The Republican Resurgence is Here

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
oh dude ur so right, I am also guilty of underestimating "Joe the Plumber".

will he be at the '12 convention? maybe he'll be a senator by then.

I jus cain't get 'nuff "JTP" did he get that little tax problem fixed yet?

And oh yeah, when is the second coming of Karl scheduled ? I heard he's been busy lickin rush scrotum for botching '08.

Nobody was talking about Joe the plumber. :rolleyes:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As of last year, Palin is officially 0 for 2.
She lost the Presidential election, and her influence aided to the loss of another seat in the 23rd District in New York. Democrats still maintain the majority in the House & Senate, plus the White House.

If this is a resurgence, then Orly Taitz is a rocket scientist.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nobody was talking about Joe the plumber. :rolleyes:

we're talking about all the cartoon characters that the RNC thinks are the great white hope of the party.

there are tons of uber-qualified, highly respected republicans, who can actually think and talk at the same time.

get rid of the amateur right wing extremist talent and we'll take u seriously again.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is not to say that she is dumb: I don't believe that. I do believe, however, that she is the most incurious personality to capture popular American political interest since William Jennings Bryan, whom she reminds me of very much indeed.

I've said the same before. Sarah Palin's clearly an intellectual lightweight but that's no handicap when considering the know-nothing mindset she is appealing to. In fact, lack of academic credentials is probably a plus among that crowd.

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
All this political banter cracks me up. It's not about Republicans resurgence or about Obama failing. It's about shitty economy. Whoever is in office during these times is not immune. People will vote you out because they want the problems fixed. They don't really care/ know what the hell is going on. If you're in office right now, democrat or republican, they'll take out their wrath on you.

Of course republicans will call it Obama failing, Pelosi failing, that their 'communist takeover' is destroying freedom, blah blah blah.
We heard the same exact shit from Democrats the last 8 years about Bush destroying freedom, liberty, blah blah blah. Exact same shit.

The bottom line is that most people have no freakin clue about what's really going on but if they feel that nothing is changing, they'll vote your ass out, regardless of which party it is. It's a cycle.

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
This is from today's Politico -- which looks at the bigger picture:

----------

GOP's special elections losing streak

The result of NY-23 isn't a shocker: Republicans have lost 20 of the past 29 House special elections.

Lost amid the Republican euphoria surrounding Tuesday’s elections is this inconvenient fact: The GOP just got its clock cleaned, again, in another high-stakes House special election.

It shouldn’t have come as a surprise, since Republicans have lost 20 of the past 29 House special elections, dating back to January 2003. And in perhaps the most worrisome aspect of the trend, the GOP lost its fifth consecutive competitive special election in Republican-friendly territory.

In New York’s historically Republican 23rd District, where Democrat Bill Owens prevailed Tuesday, the GOP squandered a 43 percent to 31 percent voter registration advantage over the Democratic Party. In New York’s 20th District, where Scott Murphy — like Owens, another unknown Democrat with no experience in elective office — won a March special election, the GOP blew a 65,000-voter registration edge.

GOP's special elections losing streak - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
there are tons of uber-qualified, highly respected republicans, who can actually think and talk at the same time.

I wouldn't give you tons... but a easily a few. Charlie Crist comes to mind. Who is, of course, being openly challenged from the right by Rubio with the full backing of the dittoheads. But then remember that Huckabee was at one point the Republican front-runner for the Presidential nomination. This is how fucking tone-deaf they are.

As shitty a candidate as Deeds was in VA, McDonell dodged a bullet by running as far away as possible from his graduate thesis on family values. Why? Because the country doesn't swing like that no matter how loudly proponents scream that it does. Ultimately the Republican party values decibels over dialogue.

Last edited:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I wouldn't give you tons... but a easily a few. Charlie Crist comes to mind. .

Hmmm....he wouldn't be at the top of my list, remember he actually timed his engagement (to a woman) to fall in line with the whole "family values" requirement, in time for McCain to come a courtin' for a VP candidate. he got jilted when McCain went insane and chose SP,

the limbaugh right wing has never seen crist as one of their own,

it's been long rumored that he's closeted, and after all there's an "H" missing from his surname, so he must be the "anti-".

the insurgence of nutball right wing republicans can be traced directly to the church money backing all of them, Even Mccain had to go kiss Robertson's ring and get Dobson's blessing. That sure ain't the party of Lincoln anymore.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
the insurgence of nutball right wing republicans can be traced directly to the church money backing all of them, Even Mccain had to go kiss Robertson's ring and get Dobson's blessing. That sure ain't the party of Lincoln anymore.

The party of Lincoln... that phrase always makes me laugh. They haven't been the party of Lincoln since... well, since Lincoln.

The party of Lincoln... that phrase always makes me laugh. They haven't been the party of Lincoln since... well, since Lincoln.

I'd say since Eisenhower and Goldwater. They've had a few good presidents including Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, B. Harrison, Eisenhower, and McKinley. Goldwater in particular saw where the party was heading and warned vehemently about getting into bed with religious conservatives and running on morals issues. As he put it, “I think every good Christian ought to kick [Moral Majority leader] Falwell right in the ass," and, "It's wonderful that we have so many religious people in our party, ... They need to leave their theologies in their churches.” He also thought gays in the military was a non-issue, “You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.”

It took longer than expected, but it seems Goldwater is finally proving prescient.

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
I never bought into the entire Crist 'staged engagement' theory because it's entirely predicated on the notion that a 50-something never married male must certainly be gay. Gay politicians have been marrying women for generations so it's neither a qualifier or disqualifier.

But yeah, while he did win a statewide race despite the lack of a wifey and kids, it is certainly a help to have such props during a national campaign.

Contrary to the title of this thread, Republicans are adrift at sea. Remember Bobby Jindal? Fail. Mike Steele? Attempt at diversity turned epic fail. And, of course, Palin. Now it's Pawlenty. Mike Pence? Let's throw enough unknowns at the wall and see if one of them sticks. Worked for Dubya...

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'd say since Eisenhower and Goldwater. They've had a few good presidents including Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, B. Harrison, Eisenhower, and McKinley. Goldwater in particular saw where the party was heading and warned vehemently about getting into bed with religious conservatives and running on morals issues. As he put it, “I think every good Christian ought to kick [Moral Majority leader] Falwell right in the ass," and, "It's wonderful that we have so many religious people in our party, ... They need to leave their theologies in their churches.” He also thought gays in the military was a non-issue, “You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.”

It took longer than expected, but it seems Goldwater is finally proving prescient.
I'll agree with Eisenhower, I'm neutral on the others, except for the imperialist McKinley.

Goldwater mellowed quite a bit in later years and I agreed with his positions on gay rights and religion in politics. I don't think he would feel very welcome in the party today and this is a man who was the leader of the right wing of the party in the 1960 sixties. It's hard to believe how far the conservative movement has regressed in the past twenty years.

But I don't know if A. Lincoln would have approved of Goldwater. Barry G voted against the censure of Joe McCarthy and against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
we're talking about all the cartoon characters that the RNC thinks are the great white hope of the party.

Nobody but you is focusing on Joe the Plumber. And only you is calling him that term.

And?

get rid of the amateur right wing extremist talent and we'll take u seriously again.
First it's open the tent. Then it's...get rid of people Democrats don't like in the Republican Tent. Mind your own business. If there are folks in the Republican tent that can't think and talk at the same time...what do you care?

Worry about your own tent. :rolleyes:

As of last year, Palin is officially 0 for 2.
She lost the Presidential election, and her influence aided to the loss of another seat in the 23rd District in New York. Democrats still maintain the majority in the House & Senate, plus the White House.

Palin didn't cause a loss. She actually supported the right candidate. Scozzafava proved that. There was a mistake made in that House race but it wasn't hers.

Obama may have the majority in the House and Senate but the people aren't supporting his policies...read the quote below from Politico:

If this is a resurgence, then Orly Taitz is a rocket scientist.
Democrats and Independents went for the Republican candidates over Dems. There is a resurgence.

This is from today's Politico -- which looks at the bigger picture:

The Politico also said this when they "looked at the bigger picture."
National polls for months have shown deep unease among independent voters about Washington spending and about the expansiveness of Democratic proposals. So it was not fully a surprise when, in both New Jersey and Virginia, these voters swung wildly from Obama in 2008 to Republicans this time, according to exit polls.
'We got walloped'

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Trinity said:
Palin didn't cause a loss. She actually supported the right candidate....

... who LOST. Deal with it. The 0 for 2 record stands.
I heard of trying to turn lemons into lemonade, but you're literally trying to serve up cow chips as brownies and it's still shit.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
... who LOST. Deal with it. The 0 for 2 record stands.
I heard of trying to turn lemons into lemonade, but you're literally trying to serve up cow chips as brownies and it's still shit.

No lemonade. Just a dose of political reality that your little brain is incapable of grasping...as usual. The local Republicans made an error that they have to live with. Sarah Palin was right and correctly backed the right candidate. There is no loss on her part. You are confused. The 0 for something record you keep talking about is just your record for missing the point on a regular basis.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No lemonade. Just a dose of political reality that your little brain is incapable of grasping...as usual.

Coming from the idiot who thinks Palin is a genius. STFU, troll.

The local Republicans made an error that they have to live with.

Like the 23rd District is up in arms and worried that they didn't support an Ultra Conservative over a moderate. You're a joke.

Sarah Palin was right and correctly backed the right candidate.

In your pathetic little brain of a world, that's your opinion.
But the bitch aided to yet another loss. Deal with it.

There is no loss on her part.

So, are you suggesting that without Palin's influence that the ultra Conservative would of had a chance? Again, stop making this shit up. You don't even live in New York, nor have ANY grasp on the politics in this state.

The 0 for something record you keep talking about is just your record for missing the point on a regular basis.

Nice try, sweetie... We all understand and get your points. We just think you're full of shit. Your opinion is not the only one that counts here. And to act as if you know all while the majority of others are simply wrong because we don't side with your opinion continues to echo your already famous ignorance.

Now stop talking with your mouth full. Swallow those brownies you made because nobody else is biting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Trinity. I'm so glad your "republican resurgence" is here.

But tell me something. Are you ideologically in line with the far right of the party that wishes to replace moderate republicans with socially and economically "pure" conservatives?

Do you support conservatives trying to replace moderate governor Charlie Crist in Florida with a conservative that is more in line with the philosophies of Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin?

NY-23 lost. -- Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina just jumped into the race as a republican for governor of California. However, she is fairly socially liberal (which is acceptable to a majority of CA GOPers), but unacceptable to hardline activist Tea Party conservatives -- and they are now trying to swift-boat her for Chuck DeVore, who is out of step with the majority of republican Californians.

What is your position on Charlie Crist and Carly Fiorina - and Sarah Palin who seems to know nothing about the internal politics and individual temperaments of various states? Ideologically "pure" social and economic conservatives are not a good idea for every county or state in the country... a cookie-cutter approach to politics that says social cons will win in any district.