The Return of the Week in Wingnuttery - Florida

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
Now don't get me wrong... I love Florida. I have family down there, it's home to Miami Beach where I attended some of the wildest parties of my life and they do have South Beach and clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses. Then there's the obviously fine pieces of booty, but that's a different topic altogether. :biggrin1:

But this story deserves its own chapter in the book of crazy.
Terry Jones, a pastor at a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks. Sadly, this is not a headline from The Onion or a typo. Church plans Quran-burning event - CNN

People from all walks of life, including US commander Petraeus, have come out to voice major opposition to the protest saying extremists would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians. Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Alas, the demonstration is still going on as planned. And this guy is supposed to be a pastor? Seriously, WTF is wrong with people in this country? :rolleyes: :mad:

No problem with me. I don't agree with it but they are always burning our flag and Bibles and we we pretend it doesn't happen. They need to grow up. oh but you say it's just a small group of Muslims it doesn't represent them all. It doesn't sound like it to me. Not all but a hell of a large group of them. Not to mention Imam Feisal coming back and telling us that if we don't let them build thier mosque where they want to that all of middle east will be in an uproar and we had better watch our collective ass. if thats the type of religous tolerance that's moveing into America then we have a real problem.

Your worried about the Cristian nut jobs comming after you and your rights well you haven't seen anything yet. You won't have to worry about getting married you'll be stoned and hung!

Experimental Member
Media
It would be easy to say this if there were no images out there to show this heinous act. Sadly, we live in the internet age where anyone can upload a photo or a video to the web and it goes viral instantly. Just the image of the church with the sign that says "International Koran Burning Day" is enough for radicals to use to propagate more animosity and hatred against US troops and our country. An image or video of bigoted Christians burning the Koran would be even worse.

We all know the damage that can be done by just one retard. Now that the whole world know about these fifty and its ringleader, someone needs to be on damage control. :wink:

why our all the sudden concerend about this when they are constantly burning bibles? I dion't agree with either one but really who are the nut jobs? a guy burrinng a book or millions taking to the streets beacause of it?

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No problem with me. I don't agree with it but they are always burning our flag and Bibles and we we pretend it doesn't happen. They need to grow up.

Missing the point as always...
Whether or not they can do it is not in debate here. As macabre as this 9/11 demonstration in Gainesville is, they're protected by the First Amendment and burning a holy book is not illegal in this country. Just like the building of the Islamic Community Center in New York, the issue really is whether or not they should do it. Major difference. Ironically, one of these actions does more to mend and heal our international connections and the other one will sever them even further. Perhaps improving our nation's international image and living up to the words they preach mean nothing to you. But it does to me especially since I travel out of the country frequently.

oh but you say it's just a small group of Muslims it doesn't represent them all. It doesn't sound like it to me. Not all but a hell of a large group of them.

You really need to stop blanketing your Islamic paranoia with such ridiculous statements. :rolleyes:

Not to mention Imam Feisal coming back and telling us that if we don't let them build thier mosque where they want to that all of middle east will be in an uproar and we had better watch our collective ass.

So I guess "freedom of religion" means nothing to you then? That part of the Constitution has absolutely no relevance to your beliefs, and you feel as if you can selectively revoke that to anyone in this country based on any discrimination you have? :rolleyes:

Yes, there would be outrage in the Middle East, our own country and around the world if New York caved in and honored the wishes of the socially bigoted by not allowing the Islamic Community Center to be built. That would also serve as a big source of propaganda for extremists to fuel more resentment towards our nation. Photos and video images of people burning Korans in our country would also provide that source. Again, perhaps you don't care about our nation's international image?

if thats the type of religous tolerance that's moveing into America then we have a real problem.

Oh please... intolerance has always been a major factor in our society. The only difference between now and 20 years ago is that some callous people decided to open Pandora's Box and expose it on a bigger scale. Besides, why do you think "Democrats" and "Republicans" even exist? It's certainly not because they can collectively join hands and sing campfire songs.

Your worried about the Cristian nut jobs comming after you and your rights well you haven't seen anything yet. You won't have to worry about getting married you'll be stoned and hung!

Well first off, I worry more about Christian nut jobs because in this country there's a lot more of them than any other religious wackos. Secondly, as for the proposed stoning and hanging? Until Christians can look at the sickos in their fringes and stop them from verbally assaulting, bashing and killing gays & lesbians in the name of their supposed "lord and savior" then talking about what some other group is supposed to do to me means jack shit. Even if all factions of Islam was chased out of this country and all religious doctrine adhered to one belief, I would still have to worry about some homophobic zealot freaking out over why I decided to hold another man's hand in public. God forbid if I kissed him on the cheek! Like OMG! Protect the children!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Besides... you want me to provide you images of supposed Christians hanging people in this country? Lynchings were a part of our nation's history going well into the 1960s. You may want to rethink your fear mongering rhetoric because it's sounding majorly hypocritical right now.

Last edited:

I already am.

Bingo! :tongue:

But in all seriousness...one of the saddest aspects of this whole debacle is that this "pastor" will leave this situation as his lasting contribution to the world. To have lived on this earth as long as he has and only have this issue to leave behind is truly sad. He will go down in history as an ignorant bigot.

Last edited by a moderator:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
why our all the sudden concerend about this when they are constantly burning bibles? I dion't agree with either one but really who are the nut jobs? a guy burrinng a book or millions taking to the streets beacause of it?
Please cite a reputable source for this claim that Muslims are constantly burning bibles. Or even frequently. Or sometimes.

Just one.

Experimental Member
Media
Missing the point as always...
Whether or not they can do it is not in debate here. As macabre as this 9/11 demonstration in Gainesville is, they're protected by the First Amendment and burning a holy book is not illegal in this country. Just like the building of the Islamic Community Center in New York, the issue really is whether or not they should do it. Major difference. Ironically, one of these actions does more to mend and heal our international connections and the other one will sever them even further. Perhaps improving our nation's international image and living up to the words they preach mean nothing to you. But it does to me especially since I travel out of the country frequently.

You really need to stop blanketing your Islamic paranoia with such ridiculous statements. :rolleyes:

So I guess "freedom of religion" means nothing to you then? That part of the Constitution has absolutely no relevance to your beliefs, and you feel as if you can selectively revoke that to anyone in this country based on any discrimination you have? :rolleyes:

Yes, there would be outrage in the Middle East, our own country and around the world if New York caved in and honored the wishes of the socially bigoted by not allowing the Islamic Community Center to be built. That would also serve as a big source of propaganda for extremists to fuel more resentment towards our nation. Photos and video images of people burning Korans in our country would also provide that source. Again, perhaps you don't care about our nation's international image?

Oh please... intolerance has always been a major factor in our society. The only difference between now and 20 years ago is that some callous people decided to open Pandora's Box and expose it on a bigger scale. Besides, why do you think "Democrats" and "Republicans" even exist? It's certainly not because they can collectively join hands and sing campfire songs.

Well first off, I worry more about Christian nut jobs because in this country there's a lot more of them than any other religious wackos. Secondly, as for the proposed stoning and hanging? Until Christians can look at the sickos in their fringes and stop them from verbally assaulting, bashing and killing gays & lesbians in the name of their supposed "lord and savior" then talking about what some other group is supposed to do to me means jack shit. Even if all factions of Islam was chased out of this country and all religious doctrine adhered to one belief, I would still have to worry about some homophobic zealot freaking out over why I decided to hold another man's hand in public. God forbid if I kissed him on the cheek! Like OMG! Protect the children!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Besides... you want me to provide you images of supposed Christians hanging people in this country? Lynchings were a part of our nation's history going well into the 1960s. You may want to rethink your fear mongering rhetoric because it's sounding majorly hypocritical right now.

first off all i didn't miss the point i said i don't agree with it but is worse? burning a book or rioting over burning a book? perhaps some othe countrties could improve their immage as well.
as far as the paranoia, goes you see it all day evertywhere it's one little group of people.

and your right "so called christians" lynching. that was the the 1960's this is 2011.

in the middle ages my ancestors were enedslaved and hung, drawn and quartered etc. so lay off the hloier than thou crap. in fact as a mainstream religion christianity has made the most progress in accetpence than any other. if you can name the has come further

getting back to the point you make a big deal about one nut job. but you're speaking out against the multudes going apeshit over a book burn.

as your holding hands goes yeah someone my freak out but you won't be thrown in jail, unless you giving a blow job in the park thaty is.

apparently 70% of the country are bigots this Imam smell of shit and you know it., man you live in a horrible place. maybe we should chip in for a one way ticket to pakistan for you.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
first off all, i didn't miss the point; i said i don't agree with it, but is worse? (??) burning a book or rioting over burning a book? perhaps some othe countrties could improve their immage as well.

as far as the paranoia goes, you see it all day evertywhere; it's one little group of people.

and your right, "so called christians" lynching- that was the the 1960's; this is 2011.

in the middle ages my ancestors were enedslaved and hung, drawn and quartered etc., so lay off the hloier than thou crap. in fact, as a mainstream religion christianity has made the most progress in accetpence than any other. if you can, name the (?) has come further. (???)

getting back to the point, you make a big deal about one nut job, but you're speaking out against the multudes going apeshit over a book burn.

as your holding hands goes, (??) yeah, someone my freak out but you won't be thrown in jail, unless you giving a blow job in the park thaty is.

apparently 70% of the country are bigots. This Imam smell of shit, and you know it. man you live in a horrible place. maybe we should chip in for a one way ticket to pakistan for you.
Do you ever proofread? Or use spell check? I think it might strengthen your argument.

Then again, maybe not.

Does anyone seriously think Sharia law could ever be imposed in the US?

Other than paranoid and/or opportunistic right-wingnuts, that is?

Hmmm . . . maybe I answered my own question.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Bingo! :tongue:

But in all seriousness...one of the saddest aspects of this whole debacle is that this "pastor" will leave this situation as his lasting contribution to the world. To have lived on this earth as long as he has and only have this issue to leave behind is truly sad. He will go down in history as an ignorant bigot.

I wonder, has anyone asked this self-aggrandizing nutjob "pastor":

WWJD?
what would Jesus do?

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You know, maybe it's just the low-grade stresses in my life right now (and I have a ton of them), and maybe I should just go out in the broiling Florida heat and take a walk or something, but I'm beginning to have a change of heart regarding this whole First Amendment argument regarding this Koran burning bullshit.

First Interpol issued a terror alert about it, then the State Department has chimed in with a global travel warning, now it appears as though the FBI is getting involved.

I have consistently decried the fucktards who have beat the drums of fear and war for so long now, believing somehow that it's a minority sentiment and that, Teabaggers aside, America as a country was slowly getting a collective grip on itself. Now I'm not so sure.

Is it just some group horror of the approach of 9/11 that has spread to me like some really nasty contagion? What the fuck is this sense of foreboding dread? Why am I suddenly so fucking afraid, and why am I feeling so fucking manipulated? I always thought I was too clear-sighted for this sort of thing.

I do agree with Josh Marshall at TPM about this, in relation to Gingrich and Palin:

This is the standard approach of race haters and demagogues. They keep stirring the pot, churning out demonizing rhetoric and hate speech. Then some marginal figure does something nuts and suddenly ... oh, wait, I didn't mean burn Korans. Where'd you get that idea from? We were just saying that Islam is a violent, anti-American religion and that American Muslims should stop building their mosques and focus on apologizing for 9/11 and maybe get out of America. But burn the Koran? No way.
Maybe that walk is a good idea. But is it possible that something as innocuous as burning a bunch of paper can be equated to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
first off all i didn't miss the point i said i don't agree with it but is worse? burning a book or rioting over burning a book? perhaps some othe countrties could improve their immage as well.

Again... missing the point.
This isn't about other countries and what they do. This is about our country and how we conduct ourselves. You're too busy trying to fault others for their shortcomings, acting as if we're justified to fuck up once in a while because they do. How ridiculous.

and your right "so called christians" lynching. that was the the 1960's this is 2011.

You'll have to tell me how it is in the future, considering that today's date is September 9, 2010. Did your tea party brethren find Obama's Kenyan birth certificate yet? :rolleyes:

But besides that, for many people the 1960s isn't that far behind. And yes, people were lynched because of their racial, sexual and/or religious beliefs.

in the middle ages my ancestors were enedslaved and hung, drawn and quartered etc. so lay off the hloier than thou crap.

And this comes from someone who disregards happenings from the 1960s. That's too far back for you to contemplate, yet you want to talk about your ancestors that were treated badly back as far as the 1500s? LOL!!!! Such a hypocritical double standard. Why should I give two damns about your past when you don't give any cares about the pasts of others, especially ones in modern history?

in fact as a mainstream religion christianity has made the most progress in accetpence than any other. if you can name the has come further

It's progressed so much in acceptance but yet are one of the first religions to rally when it comes to preventing a gay man from having equal rights in this country. From my angle, even Christianity needs a do-over. So much for your religiously-spun dick measuring contest. :rolleyes:

And just a reminder... I'm technically a "Christian" too (non-practicing for obvious reasons). So sorry that you refuse to see and acknowledge the faults within your own chosen faith.

getting back to the point you make a big deal about one nut job. but you're speaking out against the multudes going apeshit over a book burn.

Yes because they're all stupid.

as your holding hands goes yeah someone my freak out but you won't be thrown in jail, unless you giving a blow job in the park thaty is.

Sounds like you're speaking from experience. Do tell. :rolleyes:

And BTW, a few years ago two brothers were severely beaten by a bunch of homophobes for walking down the street holding hands in Brooklyn. The thugs assumed they were gay (which ironically they weren't) and they attacked them. One of the brothers was killed. But I guess in your world that's supposed to be better than going to jail, right?

apparently 70% of the country are bigots

I wouldn't say that about everyone in America. You obviously are, but then again you're less than .0001% of the population of this country.

this Imam smell of shit and you know it.,

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

man you live in a horrible place.

Yeah... New York City. The most populated and diverse city in America. The Metropolitan epicenter of distinctive cultures, social acceptance, and tolerance. Such a horrible place to live... if you're a bigot.

maybe we should chip in for a one way ticket to pakistan for you.

You tried that rhetoric before, remember? And it still doesn't work. I've vacationed in the Middle East and did it voluntarily. I stayed in hotels less than 5 miles from the Iraqi border. Have you, son? All of that muscle and tough talk yet you wet your panties at the muttering of the name Mohammed. That's blissful irony even Shakespeare himself couldn't have created.

Are you through? The grown-ups who aren't scared of Allah would like to have a discussion now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mr. Jones "SAID" there was a deal that if he didn't burn the Koran, that the Iman of the Cordoba center agreed he would move the mosque. The problem is that it isn't true. There was no deal or communication between Mr Jones and the Iman. Here's the breaking report from NBC. Reuters is reporting the same:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The pastor planning to burn Qurans on the Sept. 11 anniversary said Thursday that he had called off the event after being given assurances that the Muslim group seeking to build an Islamic center near the World Trade Center site would move the project.
But sources close to the imam behind the New York mosque denied any deal had been struck.
And Sharif Al-Gamal, owner of the building where the mosque and cultural center would be housed, told NBC News that there had been no discussions with Jones.

Pastor cancels burning, says mosque moving - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Breaking News--- The Koran burning is cancelled! Maybe the Park 51 center will be moved. And Donald Trump is trying to buy the building.
Only in America. :rolleyes:

Did I hear correctly, that this nutjob in Florida actually influenced the decision to move the cultural center? Please say it ain't so. And/or the Imam got a message from Allah to move it? Holey, moley what a "reality" show!

[Thanks Indy, that makes more sense. However, I bet more shoes will drop before this is over. Can't wait.] :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
As much as I am a proponent of free speech, as vile as it may be I put more faith in common sense.
When you have ignorant bastards like this SO-CALLED Christian doing such it's naturally gonna cause a stir, even a furor, and it HAS and this is precisely what this dumb ass wanted so BRAVO you succeeded !!!
I think one of the reasons this is garnering such attention is b/c it's a BOOK BURNING & it brings memories of burning books by Nazis & then it is a profound religious document.
The QUR'AN is the Islamic version of the Christian bible. He will be burning their holy book and this will rightfully anger the peaceful as well as extreme radical Muslims (moslims as the dumb fukin redneck calls them ).
I hope this idiot comes to his senses but I fear he will not and I fear even worse what may happen here and abroad as a result of his UN-AMERICAN & UN-CHRISTIAN protestation .
The only good thing about this, if there is one, is this brings to light the opaque brand of Racism so pervasive especially in the south and quite sadly this is due to the fact that we have a Bi-racial President who the morons think is a secret muslim,
waiting for the chance to ascend as KING OF MUSLIM LAND and crush the evil empire of the USA....:moon:
I know this is neither here nor there but actually President OBAMA is 1/2 Irish , 1/4 Kenyan & his dad was something else from the Middle East , I think Indonesian but not certain.
His Father WAS Muslim but later denounced his Muslim faith and became an Atheist... So those that are ignorant get your facts straight !!!

What pisses me off is damn right-wing loons like BECK, BACHMANN & PALIN stir this crap up intentionally just to amp up fear and inflate the ever growing STUPIDITY in our country !!!

:bj:
HORSE

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most idiotic punditry:
According to Obama, Jones’s “stunt” (a fair description) is already “a recruitment bonanza for al-Qaeda.” That’s absurd. No sensible person joins a terrorist organization dedicated to mass murder simply because somebody torches a Koran.
Okay, I'll bite. Just what kind of "sensible person" does Mr. McCarthy believe would join "a terrorist organization dedicated to mass murder"?

NRO LINK

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting background/history of Mr. Jones:
Qur'an burning: Terry Jones set up German base in quest to 'awaken' Europe

Fundamentalist preacher left Cologne in disgrace after being accused of using fear and control to run sect-like movement

When he arrived in Germany on what he called his "God-sent" mission in 1982, charismatic bible fundamentalist Terry Jones came with a message of hope, promising to show his followers the "riches of the kingdom of God".
Germany, he said, was "central" to his plans to lead the "Christian awakening of Europe".
At prayer rallies that were used as recruitment drives, congregations dropped to their knees in worship or danced ecstatically in the aisles, so taken were they by him.
But when Jones left Cologne 26 years later it was as a disgraced preacher who was accused of running a sect-like community with an iron fist, forcing members to give him a percentage of their earnings, making them work for little or no money and causing the breakup of families and friendships. He also faked a title as "Doctor of Theology", for which he was fined.

Qur'an burning: Terry Jones set up German base in quest to 'awaken' Europe | World news | guardian.co.uk

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting background/history of Mr. Jones:
Qur'an burning: Terry Jones set up German base in quest to 'awaken' Europe

Fundamentalist preacher left Cologne in disgrace after being accused of using fear and control to run sect-like movement

When he arrived in Germany on what he called his "God-sent" mission in 1982, charismatic bible fundamentalist Terry Jones came with a message of hope, promising to show his followers the "riches of the kingdom of God".
Germany, he said, was "central" to his plans to lead the "Christian awakening of Europe".
At prayer rallies that were used as recruitment drives, congregations dropped to their knees in worship or danced ecstatically in the aisles, so taken were they by him.
But when Jones left Cologne 26 years later it was as a disgraced preacher who was accused of running a sect-like community with an iron fist, forcing members to give him a percentage of their earnings, making them work for little or no money and causing the breakup of families and friendships. He also faked a title as "Doctor of Theology", for which he was fined.

Qur'an burning: Terry Jones set up German base in quest to 'awaken' Europe | World news | guardian.co.uk

Sounds like Scientology...