The richest 1 percent have more financial wealth than the bottom 95 percent combined

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a long but slippery slope, right?

Well you can go two ways, you either break the law to survive or you dwell in squalour, neither is desired by the great and good but if needs must then...:rolleyes:

I am a good boy so lived in squalour rather than broke the law when i was at my poorest.

The climb up is stressful but at least satisfying.
I have a job, pay my own bills, take nothing from the taxpayer, so i'm fortunate. A weaker, less intelligent, less considerate me would probably be in jail for bank robbery.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Soviet Union had state capitalism not communism. Now the USA has a similar economic structure. The raison d'etre (indeed it could be argued the raison d'etat) was that private money and private risk was a venture. If successful the investor reaped high rewards (which may or may not trickle down through society) and if unsuccessful then the rules were very clear. Now the oligarchy of extreme wealth has corrupted government. If they fail then they arrogantly expect the state to featherbed them. Their offshore accounts and trust funds do not suffer because some poor retired old lady in Kansas will subvent them with her hard earned pension courtesy of rapacious politicians. America, the self appointed land of the free is now a feudal state. The serfs have votes but no power. Client states have to pay tribute or else! Of course, with the rich and powerful always a little patience. But when you rob Peter to pay Paul you can always rely on the support of Paul.

Last edited:

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
Don't be silly. He wouldn't bother working for a lousy billion dollars.

Exactly, he gets 5 billlion because only so many people can do the job. I've never heard such a bunch of whiney bitches. None of you know what it's like to really be unfortunate. Life is a role of the dice. Consider yourself blessed that you are here and able to bitch and that your're not an ant.

As far as health care goes no one is entitled to it. The increasing life span of humans is what has fucked up the planet. there is a reason for disease genetic mutations etc. The poor reproduce at the hightest rate. Keeping them alive longer only adds to the problem. How many famines have we dealt with where we give the starving just enough to bring on another generation to starve? In the ideal world ( the way it was) you let the sick and incapable die off because they burden the rest.

Getting back to the subject of CEO's making to much money, how come I don't hear any bitching about professional athletes and celebreties salaries and endorsement packages? for some reason that is perfectly ok. they're the ones taking your money. You run your charge cards up to have the latest designer shoes, jeans, get that Samsung big screen tv because brett farve has one. you're pathetic.

D

deleted15807

Getting back to the subject of CEO's making to much money, how come I don't hear any bitching about professional athletes and celebreties salaries and endorsement packages?

Professional athletes and celebrities aren't exactly pushing laissez-faire economics while simultaneously shipping jobs to Mexico and China.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Getting back to the subject of CEO's making to much money, how come I don't hear any bitching about professional athletes and celebreties salaries and endorsement packages? for some reason that is perfectly ok. they're the ones taking your money. You run your charge cards up to have the latest designer shoes, jeans, get that Samsung big screen tv because brett farve has one. you're pathetic.

I'm pretty sure you would hear people bitching about that here if it were political topic.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Professional athletes and celebrities aren't exactly pushing laissez-faire economics while simultaneously shipping jobs to Mexico and China.

True that...
While some athletes do make an obnoxious amount of money for what they do, I doubt anyone of them are in the top 1% tax bracket either. Plus, if you somehow can't perform your duties you don't get a bonus of $24 Million.

Ericsson1228d

Experimental Member
Media
dude252007 writes:

We're talking about the CEO who owns 5 billion dollars of financial wealth... and redistributing some of that wealth back into the country's infrastructure and to the have-nots in the form of a healthcare system... I know, I know. SO Marxist! So unreasonable. That CEO can survive on just one billion, I'll bet.

Well, maybe he doesn't "deserve" 5 billion in your book, but why do you deserve even one red cent of his money?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Well, maybe he doesn't "deserve" 5 billion in your book, but why do you deserve even one red cent of his money?

Oh, dear god. And then there's people like you who deserve to be considered, by anyone's estimation, assholes, one-in-five billion.

These things happen.

D

deleted15807

True that...
While some athletes do make an obnoxious amount of money for what they do, I doubt anyone of them are in the top 1% tax bracket either. Plus, if you somehow can't perform your duties you don't get a bonus of $24 Million.

The lives of a typical CEO don't even remotely resemble the lives of the average worker of that same company. They are American royalty. An entire parallel universe exists exists for them, a world of exclusion and privilege. That is not a good thing. Historically countries with vast disperencies in wealth ultimately fail.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
There are much better students of American History on this site than me, but what I believe Mr. Moore is doing is to continue the Jeffersonian debate about big business and individual freedom. Whilst the official line is that the US is the land of the free, how free are you when the wealth created, and the money system itself, is in the hands of so relatively few?

Are you happy with this deal? or is it a case of persuading the slaves to vote for slavery?