The RUDEST, unfriendly people you've ever encountered were from what city, or place?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 28, 2010.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

I've been to many places where I've met unfriendly or inhospitable and down right rude people as a traveler. Curt, unhelpful, and obnoxious people are found everywhere I suppose but there are some cities which I've found more than my fair share.

-Paris - something about not being able to speak French well irritates many Parisians.

- New York City - plenty of assholes in this town, though it's gotten much much better as there are less miserable people living there than in the 90's. Need to go everywhere with a thick crust and attitude of don't fuck with me.

-Washinton DC - Not sure why but many rude people in the hospitality industry there.

- Tangier- Everyone just wants to hustle you so you just treat everyone with suspicion even the outwardly helpful people. But hustlers outnumber those nice people 10 to 1.

- Helsinki - the Finns are not the most hospitable people on Earth, curt and to the point. I don't recall hearing any laughter in the city or seeing anyone smile.

- Prague- I hated everything about this city, as beautiful as it was the people ruined it for me. Out of communism all were just to scam and make a buck - never have I seen so many whores lined up on the freeway.

Conversely some of the friendliest places I've visited were:

Minniapolis, MN - Minnesota Nice

Salt Lake City - Mormon hospitality - Hell Marriot Corporation is Mormon.

Most of Texas- Very nice friendly outgoing people there, just don't talk politics.

Sydney, Australia - Very well adjusted and happy people have been the norm when visiting.

Most of Japan - very friendly people especially if you're white and can't speak Japanese. They bend over backwards to help you there.

Columbus, GA - My sister lives there and folks just ooze southern hospitality.

#1 earllogjam, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    West Wales.

Even tho I love Wales, some ppl who live on the West coast seem to be absolute cunts. I'm sure they're not all like this, but I've had several unpleasant run-ins with them, where locals have been rude and unhelpful in the course of their jobs in the tourist industry.

Beautiful place, but stroppy locals.

Conversely, the Irish and Liverpudlians always seem friendly and warm. :)

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I've met warm and friendly people everywhere I've been, including some of the above mentioned places. A lot of it is actually to do with how you approach the locals. Take some time to stop and observe how things are done in a place you are not familiar with.

Watching how the locals interact with each other and other non-locals will save you an awful lot of potential grief.

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ That's true.

I was really calling out ppl who act like twats regardless of how polite and friendly you are. :)

5. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was raised in Detroit, MI. I can say that place harbors some of the worst that humanity has to offer. Ignorant, dishonest, lazy, territorial, violent, "rude" doesn't begin to describe them. Glad I got out when I did, it's seems to be getting worse.

Although, Scottsdale (currently located) harbors some of the most flamboyant and arrogant douche-rockets I've ever encountered. Constantly run into Jersey Shore rejects in the downtown area.

As far as most "friendly" people, the Seattle area takes the cake.

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

On the whole I very much agree. My exception would be Aberdeenshire. After 20 years there you'd still be know as "the new folk". Open a business in one of the towns or villages that is not your home town and it would be largely boycotted. I lived in that area for 8 years through work and have witnessed so much of this.

I've lived in a fair few different places and all have their good and bad points. In general what you give out tends to come back to you.

7. AlextheRedhead

Gold Member

Albums:
    I found that New York was not rude, over all very easy to talk to people and no where else has people said sorry so much if they bumped into you or step in front of you.

London was difficult to meet people as they dont really talk to strangers and I dont take that as being rude just a culture difference.

Atlanta where I believe that they have a saying "bless your heart" means FUCK YOU

Philadelphia where if your not my friend I'll punch you out

Los Angeles very nice except when your in a car

Berlin not rude but direct with out emotion

Amsterdam I'll blow ya for a spliff... hhmmm OK!

8. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Interestingly (or not I don't know :tongue:) I've only ever met lovely friendly people all over the world, except in Scotland. People in Edinbrugh and Glasgow were polite enough, actually in Glasgow they were fun and warm, but in the Highlands and Islands and central Scotland a good number of the people I met were rude, unfriendly, unhelpful and sulky. Some friends and I were on a driving holiday, finding the country breathtakingly beautiful, and enjoying the food and nice hotels and stuff but it actually became a running joke about how glum and rude the people we were meeting were.

The thing was apart from me the whole group was Irish, and sounded it, so we couldn't put it down to being English or whatever. There was a particular B&B in Sterling run (we discovered) by these evangelical Christians who were actually shokingly unpleasant, and their breakfasts were poop.

I know the Scots have dour reputation an all, but it was almost a charicature in some places we visited. Pity really because I know and count many scottish people among my friends, and none of them are remotely like the people we encountered while on holiday there.

9. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I have spent a lot of time in different areas of Scotland and have really only come across what you describe in Aberdeenshire. I found the folks in Inverness and the Highlands really warm and friendly. Glaswegians especially have great senses of humour and are easy to get to know and talk to.

10. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah definitely agree with you about Glaswegians, they were really open and friendly, seemed to enjoy meeting new people and stuff. We had a lot of fun there during that holiday, and I have friends who live there and have been back since and had a great time.

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think a lot of what we perceive as rudeness is a cultural disconnect. What we expect from each other is not always what we get and what might seem rude to a visitor is normal to a local. From what I've seen there are rude people and there are nice people everywhere.

The least friendly place for me is Munich. I have been there four for five times, mostly for a day or two, once was for a week, and I am never able to connect with locals. They seem like pricks to me but I doubt that they are really. Berlin and Hamburg are totally different and lots of fun for me.

I always have a good time in Paris and my French is minimal. I even like the waiters.

12. CumSwallower

Gold Member

Albums:
    Canadians- I've traveled all over the world and find the Canadians the most difficult to communicate with or with whom to have any point of contact and have been to Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto. I crossed the border from Niagara to Buffalo and was so relived to be back in bars where I could talk to people who could do more than grunt whilst transfixed on the tv screen. I also had one of the worst border crossing experiences going into Canada from Seattle- I should have turned round then- and I'm British!!

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've met friendly and not so friendly people everywhere I have travelled.
    I would have to say the people who came across as the most stand-off-ish were in Switzerland. The friendliest people I have found were in Australia.
    When I travel I try to blend in as much as possible with the locals, but occasionally I have someone say "You are not from here are you?" That happens mostly in the US south and midwest but I don't think I ever found anyone in these places blatantly rude.
    I think that Honolulu is one of the friendliest cities in the world, but maybe I am biased.

14. ThatChiRican

ThatChiRican New Member

Gotta say LA has the most rude people... bit is also my fav city to be as I just ignore the rude ones. Although any lady that's been rude to me there is because I was hitting on them.

Sweet home Chitown has the most genuine people on Earth in my heavily biased opinion

15. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    everywhere I've been I've found loads and loads of friendly people and only an occasional rude person.

16. benuk2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Prague

17. ladsonbehr49

ladsonbehr49 Member

Albums:
    I would say my hometown of charleston south carolina is the friendlyless area to visit and the food is out of this word and reasonable priced though the gay community is lacking which is fine. We do have outsiders err vactioners who come here and think they are above us and treat us with disgust and some of them come from the north(enough said).

Wish the community would have functions here in our city because the rates in the hotels are excellent and not like other cities such as Los Angeles or New York city were you pay a prem to buy a cup of coffee but we are overlook and maybe that is a good thing.

18. D_Tim McGnaw

Bless you an all, but this isn't really OT is it? :wink:

19. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like may here, most places I have been people have been friendly and helpful with only occasional exceptions.
    Dave

20. mattsrod7

Gold Member

Albums:
    I must say when I spent a week in Helsinki, Finland, they were all really friendly and most of them spoke English, thankfully cause their language is a mouthful.

Draft saved Draft deleted