The RUDEST, unfriendly people you've ever encountered were from what city, or place?

idesofmarch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two places I will never go back to. Monaco and Moscow. Monaco, well, if you're not rich, you just don't belong. I felt like "Alice in Wonderland".

Moscow. This was seven or eight years ago. Before I went there, I was told, that I could pay for cheap things with 1 and 2 dollar bills.

We arrive at the hotel. I leave my passport at the reception for check in. Then I go to the refrigerator, grab a bottle of water, and go back to the reception where I try to pay for it with a 1 dollar bill. No way. We want rubels. The receptionist points at a cubicle just opposite the reception, there is currency exchange. I go there, try to change, and the woman tells me she needs my passport.

I go back to the reception for my passport. They can't give it to me, because they haven't checked me in yet, etc, etc. From Russia, with love.

It was a business trip, and our Russian hosts were lovely people.

In Thailand I met the most friendliset people in my life. But then, where people are being really friendly, and the tourism is a major income to the country, does it come from the heart?

Anyway, I've met rude people, and nice people everywhere, I cant' say it's just a certain place they exist.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Two places I will never go back to. Monaco and Moscow. Monaco, well, if you're not rich, you just don't belong. I felt like "Alice in Wonderland".

Moscow. This was seven or eight years ago. Before I went there, I was told, that I could pay for cheap things with 1 and 2 dollar bills.

We arrive at the hotel. I leave my passport at the reception for check in. Then I go to the refrigerator, grab a bottle of water, and go back to the reception where I try to pay for it with a 1 dollar bill. No way. We want rubels. The receptionist points at a cubicle just opposite the reception, there is currency exchange. I go there, try to change, and the woman tells me she needs my passport.

I go back to the reception for my passport. They can't give it to me, because they haven't checked me in yet, etc, etc. From Russia, with love.

It was a business trip, and our Russian hosts were lovely people.

In Thailand I met the most friendliset people in my life. But then, where people are being really friendly, and the tourism is a major income to the country, does it come from the heart?

Anyway, I've met rude people, and nice people everywhere, I cant' say it's just a certain place they exist.

So if the friendliness is a bit fake, who cares? I don't like being places where people are about to bite my head off.

Perhaps that Thai people are just more content overall than people in other parts of the world and enjoy showing loving kindness (that strong Buddhist influence). I don't know now, but rude peole aren't my thing and I will not go to places where there emanates a general sense of impoliteness.

D_Ezdras Dingledonger

Experimental Member
Media
I've lived in several countries in my young life and I have to say, the Netherlands (where I now live) takes the cake for rudeness. People constantly elbow you out of the way, step on your toes figuratively and literally, and very few people have any sense of tact, gentility or hospitality. Nobody says sorry, nobody gives a shit about queueing up for things normally and the loudest/most boorish asshole always wins in every situation. Service people are a joke, too. They will quite happily get everything wrong regarding what you want them to do, then bitch at you if you dare to speak up. The customer is never right, and nobody has to worry about getting a word from their supervisors/managers, so they just go ahead and cuss you out. It's just such a far cry from other places I've lived (the UK, Belgium and the USA) in the sense that dignity, humility and sympathy are viewed as huge weaknesses. It's as if there's simply no honour as you're talked down to in almost every way imaginable.

The thing is, I really hate to paint a whole place with such a broad brush, but man, I just can't think of anything good to say about most of the people I've met here.

Whew. My bad for the rant. I had that on my mind for a while. :biggrin1:

S

superbot

I've lived in several countries in my young life and I have to say, the Netherlands (where I now live) takes the cake for rudeness. People constantly elbow you out of the way, step on your toes figuratively and literally, and very few people have any sense of tact, gentility or hospitality. Nobody says sorry, nobody gives a shit about queueing up for things normally and the loudest/most boorish asshole always wins in every situation. Service people are a joke, too. They will quite happily get everything wrong regarding what you want them to do, then bitch at you if you dare to speak up. The customer is never right, and nobody has to worry about getting a word from their supervisors/managers, so they just go ahead and cuss you out. It's just such a far cry from other places I've lived (the UK, Belgium and the USA) in the sense that dignity, humility and sympathy are viewed as huge weaknesses. It's as if there's simply no honour as you're talked down to in almost every way imaginable.

The thing is, I really hate to paint a whole place with such a broad brush, but man, I just can't think of anything good to say about most of the people I've met here.

That's a tad harsh,I've always liked the Dutch.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have lived in seven different cities and towns in the US, and I have never had to deal with such frequent hostility and rudeness as I did when I lived on the South Side of Chicago. Going to the supermarket (the Hyde Park Co-op) every week was an ordeal, as there was no predicting what insolence I might be subjected to by members of the staff. (The other customers were not a problem.) I remember crossing a street at an intersection in the Loop where I had the green pedestrian light and the driver of a car blew his horn at me for crossing in front of him when he wanted to make a turn. When I said to him (he had his window open), "I've got the green light," he replied: "SHUT THE FUCK UP, MAN!" Strangers in the street or on a bus whom you had not so much as looked at would offer you their opinions of you. Glad I'm out of that fucking savage place.

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
Have traveled in 15 countries and 41 US states and only found one place where rudeness was strikingly more frequent/extreme than elsewhere-- Boston. Drivers there are the worst I've ever seen in terms of outright aggression.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have traveled in 15 countries and 41 US states and only found one place where rudeness was strikingly more frequent/extreme than elsewhere-- Boston. Drivers there are the worst I've ever seen in terms of outright aggression.
This does not square with my experience. Boston drivers are not so much aggressive as they are anarchic. They do not respect the rules of the road, because the roads in greater Boston are laid out so badly that it is virtually impossible to get from one place to another without violating traffic laws at some point.

A resident who offered me the use of her car the first time I visited Cambridge gave me a caution that I think very apt: "There's a lot of give and take here." The out-of-towner might notice only the taking, but there is a lot of giving too. Driving behavior that would be customary in another city would be markedly selfish here, just as behavior that would be customary here would be regarded as aggressive elsewhere.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
On behalf of all Canadians, I apologize! Mind you, also having been to the three cities you've named and (even lived in Vancouver,) I have to agree. I've traveled all over North America and I am embarrassed that the rudest place I have ever been is Toronto *spit* Horrific! I was window shopping on Queen street and someone actually walked up and punched me in the chest! WTF??

That being said, Minneapolis was the friendliest and I can't believe how many people I ended up having long chats while queued up. I was shopping (catching a theme here?) and one co-shopper evaluated my outfits and even ran to get a different size!

And I thought that Los Angeles would be rude, but far from it. People were lovely!

I do believe our own attitude can colour our perceptions of the places we visit, but I have a good attitude - I love people, I love different cultures and even the way different places even smell different. I am friendly and out-going, so when confronted by rudeness, I feel shocked. My poor Canadian apologetic heart just breaks...

So again. Canada apologizes to you.

I've found most cities in Canada friendly enough. The only place I really encountered truly unquestionably rude people was in Montreal - especially the surly francophone waiters. Very unhelpful. I wonder if the long grey cold winters affect their general mood and outlook on life.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
This does not square with my experience. Boston drivers are not so much aggressive as they are anarchic. They do not respect the rules of the road, because the roads in greater Boston are laid out so badly that it is virtually impossible to get from one place to another without violating traffic laws at some point.

A resident who offered me the use of her car the first time I visited Cambridge gave me a caution that I think very apt: "There's a lot of give and take here." The out-of-towner might notice only the taking, but there is a lot of giving too. Driving behavior that would be customary in another city would be markedly selfish here, just as behavior that would be customary here would be regarded as aggressive elsewhere.

As a Bostonian I very much agree with your observation, as well as your friend's statement. Aside from the terrible street layout, there is the big dig which is a colossal pain in the ass. Sometimes we have to make an illegal turn because going back around the right way (after being pushed out of our lane by another driver) would take another 20 minutes or more and we'd never get to where we're going. With that being said, when someone cuts us off to take that illegal turn we just let it happen and don't worry. It's part of the cycle and we know that we might have to do that same thing 5 minutes from now. I lived in the suburbs for years and giving someone directions to my house were ridiculous. So many one ways, do not enters, rotaries...Boston streets weren't exactly designed for ease of travel.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's not a geographical area. It's a special "place", to be found in communities across the globe, populated by wives (and increasingly, husbands) who married with a purpose (lots of money, and top-tier "status"), and who may have had a career but are now most definitely "stay-at-home" (and not in a good way-- if there are kids in the offing, they are merely necessary tools to maintain the cash and the status). These types have tons of time to shop and to hone their skills as the consummate cunts. They do both of these things with vengeance, and they become warriors of the caste.

Avoid them if you don't want your soul stained for all eternity.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On behalf of all Canadians, I apologize! Mind you, also having been to the three cities you've named and (even lived in Vancouver,) I have to agree. I've traveled all over North America and I am embarrassed that the rudest place I have ever been is Toronto *spit* Horrific! I was window shopping on Queen street and someone actually walked up and punched me in the chest! WTF??
I hate the Sky Dome and the CN Tower too,
I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo,
The rent's too high, the air's unclean,
The beaches are dirty, and the people are mean,
And the women are big, and the men are dumb,
And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum,
The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork,
They dress real bad and they think they're New York
In Toronto.

—"Ontario Sucks," attributed by some to the Arrogant Worms and by others to Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie; I don't know which attribution is correct

Last edited:

MrToolhung

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Glaswegians especially have great senses of humour and are easy to get to know and talk to.

That is the truth! They are very friendly as well especially with their hands. :wink: I remember going to a bar called Carnegie's in Glasgow and got felt up by this dude. I was only 16 at the time and I told my cousin what had happened and he said that is very common. Too bad I did not try to find the guy later on.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I hate the Sky Dome and the CN Tower too,
I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo,
The rent's too high, the air's unclean,
The beaches are dirty, and the people are mean,
And the women are big, and the men are dumb,
And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum,
The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork,
They dress real bad and they think they're New York
In Toronto.

—"Ontario Sucks," attributed by some to the Arrogant Worms and by others to Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie; I don't know which attribution is correct

It's Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie! A real home town band! And while it is de rigueur to hate Toronto, I was willing to give it a chance. But nope. The Trolls were right.

Calboner - you rock for knowing this song!!!

PowayWolfman

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
would have to say that Detroit was by-far the worst place i ever had the displeasure of staying for a few days. I was scheduled for a week. i left on the second day it was so discussing. We had the facility closed down a week later after it was evident WHY there were so many problems there.

Followed (vvvvvvvvvery closely) by D.C. was there for Training and ive never seen so many people with their own noses so far up there ass.

Then Texas (strange stubborn ingrate people),, Not horrific. just avoid politics or religion. i learned to just change the subject when those topics came up.

the nicest place i have ever been was Seward Alaska, followed by California (live here) Knoxville TN, Charlston SC. Tusla OK.

cockhoarder

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
GREECE, according to me has the ruddest people I've ever encountered. After living there for a few months, I've never encountered so many ignorant, corrupted and plain unhelpfull and rude people in my life accross the 23 countries I have visited... No wonder they are over 200 billion in dept!

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As long as it's your honest perception, I have no problem whatsoever with your candor. It's refreshing. Wish there was more of it out there, even though I'm not sure that it would make people treat each other better.

I've lived in several countries in my young life and I have to say, the Netherlands (where I now live) takes the cake for rudeness.

It's just such a far cry from other places I've lived (the UK, Belgium and the USA) in the sense that dignity, humility and sympathy are viewed as huge weaknesses. It's as if there's simply no honour as you're talked down to in almost every way imaginable.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Must be because their government is so darn nice.

Also, I hear China is pretty darn nice as well in that department.

How about after they find out you're a liberal, an atheist, or gay? (Obviously, the answer to this question wouldn't apply to every person)

The vast majority of Southern US is EXTREMELY hospitable and friendly, even though there are things I don't like about it.