The RUDEST, unfriendly people you've ever encountered were from what city, or place?

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Knowing that I am a full-blooded New Yorker for years...I can tell from the many experience encounters I had over the years. Namely with dad...the driver behind the wheel. Without a doubt, there are other New Yorkers that don't even obey the rules of the light. I seen this more than once(childhood or present) and here's why:

Now, I know must New Yorkers are not all like this(I have been looking out for myself, waiting for lights to change and being very obeyful to the rules themselves), but there is some absent-minded, cell-phone chattering, "Don't give a shit" jerks that would just love to run or walk in front of the green light while the car has the right away. Doesn't matter who does that. This has happened in Yonkers(Getty Square is the worst), Manhattan, the Bronx, etc...lots of these non-caring people that look like they want to sue the people behind the wheel and be hit by cars. I remember my dad had a close encounter with some fat guy with his fat kid, running across the green light when the guy didn't have the right away. He just came out of nowhere, running....my dad had to put breaks on because he was inches from him, but the fahter and his child just ran for no reason. You could sworn that was almost an accident, but thank God for dad's quick reflexes. He might be an agressive driver, but he knows when somebody would come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The rudeness is of the locals....not of the tourists...I can guess that the manner in which you delivered your message had something to do with the way you were perceived

You're absolutely right. When I have a (paying) customer, I react poorly to a tourist with a question with no commerce to add. Would you react any differently?

Last edited:

You're absolutely right. When I have a (paying) customer, I react poorly to a tourist with a question with no commerce to add. Would you react any differently?
Sure! If someone asks a genuine question, whether it will profit you commercially or not - why not help em out and be more welcoming? It's the way to get a better reputation (and prolly ensure they buy something too). :tongue:

That was the problem (partially) with West Wales ppl. They were that cynical and rude to tourists - who had a genuine interest in their area - that they made it a postively unpleasant experience.

Me (to Harlech Pub landlord): "Hi...would you mind if i just popped to the loo?"
Landlord: "Are you going to buy a drink?"
Me: "Not immediately" (I was planning to return later for a drink and a pub lunch, after touring the castle).
Landlord: "Well, fuck off then."

Needless to say, I didn't return to buy any drinks or food for me or my mates. That was just one of several similar episodes I've had there. Cunts.

Last edited by a moderator:

^ Sounds a bit self-righteous actually. :/

I know you said u gave them the instructions to the Cheers place, before it turned to shit slightly, lol. Maybe it's about getting a balance between being friendly, and also coping with a constant stream of the same questions without going insane? :p

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
^ Sounds a bit self-righteous actually. :/

I know you said u gave them the instructions to the Cheers place, before it turned to shit slightly, lol. Maybe it's about getting a balance between being friendly, and also coping with a constant stream of the same questions without going insane? :p

Partly it's the bit about "going insane", sure. But working any kind of retail is an exercise in restraint and deference.

What you didn't seem to get the first time is that any communication I have with someone who pops his head inside with no intention of actually shopping also involves a real, breathing, motivated customer contemplating a large purchase. If you were in his/her shoes and your service was rudely interrupted as your salesperson dropped you in order to deal with that interruption, I can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't like it.

I used to have customers livid with me for answering the phone (and taking a detailed message) when I should have been giving them my undivided attention. In all my career, I only worked in one place where it was customary to let voice mail pick up if you were with a customer, and that pissed off nearly everyone who called and couldn't speak to someone about an order immediately :rolleyes:

It's a delicate juggling act when you're talking about a detailed presentation of high-end merchandise such as European antiques or custom-made artisan furniture, balancing the need of the customer with the operation of the business, but a successful person learns how to do both as often as is possible. It's one thing to juggle two or three separate parties in the store, plus the phone; it's another thing altogether to juggle all that and a distracting annoyance that doesn't build business at all.

Maybe that person who cannot seem to make his/her way two tenths of a mile around the corner would, after a couple of drinks or a supper, come back and buy that $20,000 French armoire: who knows? What I do know for sure is that unless finessed carefully, the customer whom you're investing time with will be put off if you allow every interruption to turn into an annoyance.

^ Well, I agree (in part), obviously it's going to be annoying and unhelpful to have tourists popping in every 5 minutes when you're selling expensive items. And nope, I didn't really get it first time around - although the brief comment you made to Hud01 gave a slightly different impression than the full version.

Going back to an earlier point, Europeans probably would feel at home with the history and narrow streets you mentioned (the history and architecture are one of the reasons I've always fancied going there). Also, the idea of the pedestrian being king would sit well with Brits, as it's much the same over here in a lot of places.

I do however still get the feeling (from both your and Lucas' posting) that there's an ingrained 'why should we make any allowance for tourists?' attitude there. :/ Perhaps it's not worth labouring over any further, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
^ Well, I agree (in part), obviously it's going to be annoying and unhelpful to have tourists popping in every 5 minutes when you're selling expensive items. And nope, I didn't really get it first time around - although the brief comment you made to Hud01 gave a slightly different impression than the full version.

Going back to an earlier point, Europeans probably would feel at home with the history and narrow streets you mentioned (the history and architecture are one of the reasons I've always fancied going there). Also, the idea of the pedestrian being king would sit well with Brits, as it's much the same over here in a lot of places.

I do however still get the feeling (from both your and Lucas' posting) that there's an ingrained 'why should we make any allowance for tourists?' attitude there. :/ Perhaps it's not worth labouring over any further, though.

There's a great deal of truth in the fact that Boston's relationship with the 16.3 million tourists who spend time (and money, obviously) is, at times, uneasy. I've always deplored the penury of public restrooms in the city, for instance. Much of what makes Boston unique is its adherence to traditions and ways of life that many Americans find confounding; Europeans usually find it much less so.

I've searched high and low for an easy, one-stop link to show how small Downtown really is, but without much success, so I'm gonna wing it and say that, excluding Fenway Park and the Bunker Hill Monument (which are specific destinations, not put any place of special touristic importance), you're dealing with a total area of well under four square miles. Because it is a peninsula stuck into the harbor with water on three sides, there's nowhere for it to grow once the huge landfill operations of the 19th century were finished.

This limited size, combined with strict zoning that forbade tall buildings in most areas well into the 1950s, led to the sharp decline in Boston's desirability for most of the 20th century, which paradoxically is why so much is intact today: Boston's architectural riches are an artifact of decades of decline and poverty, not any really conscious preservation efforts (at least until the mid-80s).

And yeah, Boston is full of eccentric cranks, kooks, oddballs and hypereducated know-it-alls: who else would willingly live in an American city where you practically have to be a millionaire just to own and garage a car? Almost all of Boston's virtues run counter to the post-war American dream of pulling up front to a store in a car and jumping out in flip-flops; Boston can (at times) be painfully formal. This formality is frequently seen as unwelcoming or rude, especially by those who feel that everything everywhere should be "just like home": some places just aren't.

Isn't the essence of tourism to go someplace different?

As Boston becomes ever-more affluent, the local fare is bound to get more rarefied, more expensive and more "exquisite" as it becomes less and less a "family" destination. But Boston's always had that "maiden aunt" quality about it. I had a great-aunt who lived in a small one-bedroom apartment on the first block of Commonwealth Ave whom my mother loved to visit. Though my aunt was gracious and really sweet in her own way, there was never an allowance for any children who might visit (and she did have grandchildren). She used to serve me Tab :rolleyes: or offer me some ribbon candy :rolleyes::rolleyes: or fruitcake :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was never anything to do but sit (quietly) in a chair and listen to whatever the adults were discussing. I think I was around 13 or 14 when I finally "got" my great-aunt, and was lucky enough to have been an adult guest in her home (where she served my boyfriend Tab, of course) on several occasions until she died in the early 80s. If you think "friendly" is walking around in a bathrobe and putting your feet on the coffee table, then my aunt was extremely unfriendly. But if you think that being cordial and inviting (while never deviating from the routine) and never condescending or talking-down is a sign of respect (and love, even), then maybe you'll understand both my great-aunt and the city she loved so much a little better :wink:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pages and pages of Boston bashing. I have a few friends who live in Boston or in the nearby area and I've always had a lovely time with no incident of any negative nature. Driving from Boston to Province Town is another story.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
There was a woman who used to post here who drove to new orleans pass the small towns of lousiana. She felt her life was in danger in some of these small towns. I believe it. When i was in baton rouge i saw, on a regular basis ,drivers yelling insults as they drove by. This is prenazi germany. They sent a klansman { david duke } to congress and almost elected him the governor of the state. The slogan that was heared then was " no fascism USA".

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

There's a great deal of truth in the fact that Boston's relationship with the 16.3 million tourists who spend time (and money, obviously) is, at times, uneasy. I've always deplored the penury of public restrooms in the city, for instance. Much of what makes Boston unique is its adherence to traditions and ways of life that many Americans find confounding; Europeans usually find it much less so.

I've searched high and low for an easy, one-stop link to show how small Downtown really is, but without much success, so I'm gonna wing it and say that, excluding Fenway Park and the Bunker Hill Monument (which are specific destinations, not put any place of special touristic importance), you're dealing with a total area of well under four square miles. Because it is a peninsula stuck into the harbor with water on three sides, there's nowhere for it to grow once the huge landfill operations of the 19th century were finished.

This limited size, combined with strict zoning that forbade tall buildings in most areas well into the 1950s, led to the sharp decline in Boston's desirability for most of the 20th century, which paradoxically is why so much is intact today: Boston's architectural riches are an artifact of decades of decline and poverty, not any really conscious preservation efforts (at least until the mid-80s).

And yeah, Boston is full of eccentric cranks, kooks, oddballs and hypereducated know-it-alls: who else would willingly live in an American city where you practically have to be a millionaire just to own and garage a car? Almost all of Boston's virtues run counter to the post-war American dream of pulling up front to a store in a car and jumping out in flip-flops; Boston can (at times) be painfully formal. This formality is frequently seen as unwelcoming or rude, especially by those who feel that everything everywhere should be "just like home": some places just aren't.

Isn't the essence of tourism to go someplace different?

As Boston becomes ever-more affluent, the local fare is bound to get more rarefied, more expensive and more "exquisite" as it becomes less and less a "family" destination. But Boston's always had that "maiden aunt" quality about it. I had a great-aunt who lived in a small one-bedroom apartment on the first block of Commonwealth Ave whom my mother loved to visit. Though my aunt was gracious and really sweet in her own way, there was never an allowance for any children who might visit (and she did have grandchildren). She used to serve me Tab :rolleyes: or offer me some ribbon candy :rolleyes::rolleyes: or fruitcake :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was never anything to do but sit (quietly) in a chair and listen to whatever the adults were discussing. I think I was around 13 or 14 when I finally "got" my great-aunt, and was lucky enough to have been an adult guest in her home (where she served my boyfriend Tab, of course) on several occasions until she died in the early 80s. If you think "friendly" is walking around in a bathrobe and putting your feet on the coffee table, then my aunt was extremely unfriendly. But if you think that being cordial and inviting (while never deviating from the routine) and never condescending or talking-down is a sign of respect (and love, even), then maybe you'll understand both my great-aunt and the city she loved so much a little better :wink:
Hehe, great post, Bbucko. :smile: It does sound like a great place - and very interesting.

Your description was very helpful. I agree that tourism is about going somewhere different (which is probably why I find the idea of Boston appealing in general), because it's not the usual package-holiday fare of Orlando or wherever (sorry, Fl). I also agree about not expecting everywhere to have the same level of relaxedness (or sloppiness?). Despite being chavvish at times, many Brits still appreciate a bit of formality and restraint.

I probably misjudged your earlier comments, perhaps wrongly connecting them with my experiences of West Wales (where there genuinely were quite a few twats - and it wasn't really down to regional difference, lol).

Also...quite fancy taking a scoop out of Boston Harbour, to see if I can still taste the tea. :wink:

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has not, so far as I know, visited Montreal, but he certainly had a mixed reception in Quebec City (video).

"You are French-Canadian? That means that you are obnoxious and dull!"

That was fun, Cal!:smile:

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't get it, basque.
I've lived in Montreal, visited many times, have friends there.
And I would call it a friendly place.
To each his own, I guess.

Not to belabor the point, Hhuck, but my hotel in Montreal was the only hotel in the world which demanded my car keys upon checking in. Their fuzzy rationale was somewhere between: we don't trust our guests to pay their bill before taking off and : in Montreal, we expect our guests to use the public transportation system! When I protested turning over my keys , the barrage of insults concerning US environmental pollution and deforestation as well as US garbage washing onto Canadian Great Lake's shores was deafening!
Perhaps living in Montreal is different from visiting it . As a visitor to Montreal , you must take what is offered and digest it accordingly! Unfortunately, some very unpleasant things were offered to me in Montreal! They were hard to digest!

Reactions: Allan S.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm amused by some of the Canada bashing posts lol. I travel extensively in Canada...and have ALWAYS been impressed with the basic ground rules of mannerisms that you do not see in the USA. Yes, Calgary does suffer from some 'new money syndrome'....but it is no where near as insufferable as Atlanta or Dallas in the US. My experiences with people in Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Ottawa are delightful. Toronto and Vancouver are big cities, but folks are, for the most part, approachable.

Montreal is, by far, one of my favorite cities in the world. Because of my complexion, many people assume i am French Canadian...but when i respond je le parle, mais pas bein...they are very accommodating. I have made friends that i keep up with to this day in the pubs and clubs on Montreal.

ruggero

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
when I travelled in Europe, France included I found everyone helpful and friendly. That is except Patrizia on the front desk at the Doges Palace in Venice, she was the most officious vicious bitch I've ever met.(I've been a theatre usher and worked in Retail forover 30 years) Lonely Planet warned me about the door bitches there but I thought the tearful complainant was just over reacting, not only did they leave me unattended for ten minutes standing at the signed spot whilst they sold tickets 20 feet away. No, one of them came over to ignore me and get 2 packets of biscuits out of a drawer under my nose, wave them accross the room as a choice, then refuse to serve me when I asked. "Come back in 20 minutes." So I did but now they'd gone, when one reentered carrying paperwork I asked to be sold my tour tickets.
"Closed!"
I argued having been refused and sent away.
"NO way come back tomorrow!"
remembering the guide book I demanded to see Director
"In a meeting!"
"I'm not leaving till I get my tickets for the first tour tomorrow!"
Eyeballed she pointed over to the wall

"You vill stand overthere for 10 minutes. You vill be quiet!"

I shook as I waited, counting the dollars I had spent getting to Venice, airfares, trainfares, accommodation, visas, passports and her wages, only to be made to stand still. How much did it work out to per minute? If she'd had a gun she would have waved me overthere with it. Finally the time was up, she had finished her paper work at the computer.
As I approached she looked up "there are two tickets available for the English tour in the morning." "How much?"
"Come back tomorrow for the tickets." (remembering the book, although it said it was useless) I demanded it on paper. She scrawled illegibly and signed it..Whacko I had the bitches name! (Mean while as they had mucked me around I could have been in St Marks Church nextdoor, evidently you can get in without booking or a ticket at the end of the day, but no I had to waste time here, fuming.
The next morning a very pleasant young girl sold us our tickets, I showed her the slip and asked who's signature it was "Ah, Patrizia." BITCH !

If only I could get her disciplined, without Tourists her economy would sink into the sewerage laden lagoon. However on Lonely Planets website "Thorn Tree" the poor complainant did get to speak to the Director who couldn't give a fuck anyway! So Patrizia, who's probably screwing him, knows she can do what she likes. (BITCH!)

If you're there have her paged and give her my love! Tell her in front of tourists and staff that she has an International reputation, a bad one.

PS. I will add apart from her, Venice was fantastic, especially the quiet back canals, but heck all of it was pretty exciting, the Churches especially ( I just have a thing about mumified saints, frescoes, tortured fleshy paintings and marble) St Marks and its mosaics is a must see (booked the tickets on an Internet cafe keyboard worn smooth and featureless, being Italian it demanded an ID number which we Australians don't have, had to make one up and hope. Tried again and was told you can't book twice in one day, so hoped I'd suceeded once. No trouble at the door!) and of course the Doges Place tour itself was fun.
I'm still in retail, but boy have I've learnt how to handle customers, travel sure can broaden your horizons but I probably shouldn't wear these boots to work.

Last edited: