Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Social security and Medicare were both voted into place with strong bi-partisan support.

Social security came about at a time when our country was coming out of the depression. And the republicans were divided on its support.

Medicare was originally for families of our serving military. It was expanded to include those aged 65 and older given the loss of earned income and then increasing medical costs. Medicare faces some significant financial obstacles with the aging population. More taxes to come for the downstream millenials.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Actually it's the countries you despise that are laughing their asses off as the US marches off a cliff.

View attachment 688949

Show me where I said I despised anyone? In fact, I actually said I love London. So stop with your spin and dribble. And you and liamlondon seem latched onto the "laughing" part as if I, or others, care what others think. That concern should never drive one's self-being or actions, as I would think you, and others here, would wholeheartedly support.

D

deleted15807

Show me where I said I despised anyone? In fact, I actually said I love London. So stop with your spin and dribble. And you and liamlondon seem latched onto the "laughing" part as if I, or others, care what others think. That concern should never drive one's self-being or actions, as I would think you, and others here, would wholeheartedly support.

Implicit in your words and silence on issues lay your true thoughts. Not real hard to figure out who is included and excluded in your world view. And "loving London" isn't loving nationalized health care which may not reach the level of 'despise' but is there a practical difference? Vote up for national health care or vote down. And the US's sinking mortality rate is unheard of in modern countries but sadly it's normal here and if the swamp in Washington has it's way it will only sink further. How dare well people pay for sick people?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Social security and Medicare were both voted into place with strong bi-partisan support.

They're only "entitlements" when they benefit the poor or minorities. You know, the ones conservatives, bigots, et al BELIEVE "get raises because they have a black sounding name or wear a yamaka" ... to quote the words of a certain SOMEONE here.

Tax cuts to the wealthy, corporate welfare, farm subsidies, and vouchers to squirrel their kids away in private schools, THOSE aren't entitlements.

Reactions: deleted15807

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Social security came about at a time when our country was coming out of the depression. And the republicans were divided on its support.

Medicare was originally for families of our serving military. It was expanded to include those aged 65 and older given the loss of earned income and then increasing medical costs. Medicare faces some significant financial obstacles with the aging population. More taxes to come for the downstream millenials.
You sound like you regret that they were passed. Do you?

D

deleted15807

Tax cuts to the wealthy, corporate welfare, farm subsidies, and vouchers to squirrel their kids away in private schools, THOSE aren't entitlements.

Those are hard working people not people with their "hands out" rather they are deserving. Let us bring them silver and gold. When huge companies manipulate the markets to eliminate competition, raise prices and redirect wealth into the hands of the few it is good for the capitalism (and that's really all that matters). Expect Trump to shut down that part of government that monitors and approves mergers. Expect the part that protects consumers to be deprived of oxygen. The rich to whom silly national borders mean nothing will shuttle that money out to whatever country it can be hidden and/or grown. Meanwhile the rubes shout "Let's Make America Great Again".

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
And entitlement has always been an expectation of liberals. Always.

Wrong. Entitlement has always been the expectation and requirement (at gunpoint) of the few who control 90% of wealth: tribal/clan chiefs, monarchs, dictators and oligarchs and the representative governments they buy.

They own you and either you don't know it or are happy with it.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Implicit in your words and silence on issues lay your true thoughts. Not real hard to figure out who is included and excluded in your world view. And "loving London" isn't loving nationalized health care which may not reach the level of 'despise' but is there a practical difference? Vote up for national health care or vote down. And the US's sinking mortality rate is unheard of in modern countries but sadly it's normal here and if the swamp in Washington has it's way it will only sink further. How dare well people pay for sick people?

Wow. Ok. Nice job at dodging the issue, and any attempy at an apology for your incorrect accusation. No surprise. Glad you have that crystal ball out to enlighten us. Can't wait to hear who is included and excluded in my world view. Where are you going with the practical difference part? Seems you see the world in black and white, no gray. And make those major leaps - can't love London if you don't love the NHS. That's always the problem with liberals - no middle ground. Their way, or no way.

As for the mortality rate. Yup. Got it. Think any of it has to do with diet? Lifestyles? The best, most accessible, most affordable healthcare system in the world won't fix poor eating habits or lifestyle choices. In fact, it would probably implode with the poor health decisions so many of us make. But hey, we live in a free society, right? Who's to tell someone they can't have Big Macs and pizza everyday? Or that sitting around watching tv instead of hitting the gym is ok? I'm sure the ACLU would jump up and down over that one.

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
Medicare was NEVER "for families of our serving military"

In the 60's when it was "invented" it was still the case that most military members were not married and most regardless of if they were drafted or not joined and served one or 2 enlistments and got out and got a job somewhere else in the government IE the post office or maybe a contractor or just the private sector that had no connection with the federal government and still did not have dependents when they got out.

Family members the few that there were AKA "dependents" got treated by on base "Military Treatment Facilties" (MTF's) and this was true well into the 80's.

You may be confusing this with "Tri-care" but that did not get "invented" until the 90's

D

deleted15807

Wow. Ok. Nice job at dodging the issue, and any attempy at an apology for your incorrect accusation. No surprise. Glad you have that crystal ball out to enlighten us. Can't wait to hear who is included and excluded in my world view. Where are you going with the practical difference part? Seems you see the world in black and white, no gray. And make those major leaps - can't love London if you don't love the NHS. That's always the problem with liberals - no middle ground. Their way, or no way.

As for the mortality rate. Yup. Got it. Think any of it has to do with diet? Lifestyles? The best, most accessible, most affordable healthcare system in the world won't fix poor eating habits or lifestyle choices. In fact, it would probably implode with the poor health decisions so many of us make. But hey, we live in a free society, right? Who's to tell someone they can't have Big Macs and pizza everyday? Or that sitting around watching tv instead of hitting the gym is ok? I'm sure the ACLU would jump up and down over that one.

The numbers speak for themselves. And not the give me liberty or give me death line again. The answer is to let them die on Big Macs and pizza? A failed society? It's pretty clear what choice and what option is being denied. If you can produce data depicting better outcomes for US-style healthcare I will be happy to acknowledge it.

Speaking of dodge. You were asked quite simply:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Didn't see this industrialize.

I can see the need to support our elderly in their later years after having worked and contributed to society their entire lives. They also deserve to benefit from what they have been required to put into the system. That said, it's clear SS needs an overhaul as a major financial challenge looms there.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you can produce data depicting better outcomes for US-style healthcare I will be happy to acknowledge it.
Just like you've acknowldged your other misleading and incorrect accusations. Won't hold my breath. Implicit in your words and silence on issues lay your true thoughts. :rolleyes:

Reactions: marinera

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just like you've acknowldged your other misleading and incorrect accusations. Won't hold my breath. Implicit in your words and silence on issues lay your true thoughts. :rolleyes:
There is not a developed country in the world that has a "market based" health care system. The free market doesn't work when it comes to healthcare. Our country has been the free market incubator and this grand experiment with our healthcare should come to an end.

marinera

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mortality rate is not really an indicator of how good is healthcare IMO; one should look at life expectancy: USA 79y (rounded), in France/Italy/Spain is 83y
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?view=map

Curiously, Germany and USA life expectancy is the same.

Even more reliable IMO is the infant mortality: USA has a higher rate than Chile or Malaysia or Uruguay, despite being richer than those countries beyond comparison. That means something.

D

deleted15807

There is not a developed country in the world that has a "market based" health care system. The free market doesn't work when it comes to healthcare. Our country has been the free market incubator and this grand experiment with our healthcare should come to an end.

Ideology trumps reality here. Health care is not a market. It lacks any of the vital features of a market. Treating health care like a market means living and dying without modern medicine.

They own you and either you don't know it or are happy with it.

They're quite happy with it clearly. Every election cycle they send more and more plutocrats to Washington and to state capitals even as every statistic and reality has them in a limousine headed backwards. And they have elected the ultimate unapologetic plutocrat to the White House.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
And entitlement has always been an expectation of liberals. Always.

I don't know if I'm "entitled" to police and fire departments, a judicial system, schools, streets and highways, bridges, etc, etc. But practically speaking, I'm glad I can take these various social services for granted rather than somehow having to provide them all for myself. It just seems to work better that way, for everybody.

The experience of other developed countries, besides the U.S., shows the value of approaching healthcare the same way.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
House Republicans are finally making a big admission: They like Obamacare!
Here's what Rep. Patrick McHenry, the chief deputy whip of the Republican conference, said about Obamacare's insurance regulations on Wednesday, by way of explaining why the House Freedom Caucus' vision for a bill to deregulate health insurance couldn't pass:

"There are a lot of provisions that are part of the law now that I want to preserve. So if you look at a cross-section of the conference, they have similar positions about similar provisions — preexisting conditions, guarantee issue, and medical underwriting are core components of that ... The core provisions here are really important protections."
What McHenry was saying there sounds technical, but it can be summed up in a three-word sentence:

Obamacare is good.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gop-obamacare-ahca-replacement-2017-4

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
D

deleted15807

In case you missed it, this week saw the debut of Trumpcare.​

There was no new legislation, and the previous health-care system, Obamacare, wasn’t repealed. It was re-accommodated, United Airlines-style: bloodied, knocked silly and heaved aside.

What has replaced it — a system of confusion and retreat — is entirely the doing of one Donald J. Trump.

President Trump this week threatened not to pay $7 billion to insurers in annual subsidies for giving discounted coverage to low-income Americans. If he follows through, it ends Obamacare as we know it. But even if he’s bluffing, the threat itself is outright sabotage and goes a long way toward dismantling the Affordable Care Act.

Trump is now destroying a healthy health-care system

Reactions: b.c.