The Secrets of Gay Super Couples

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Very nicely written, I think that these points are exactly what are responsible for making my partner and I successful in our lives with each other.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm glad its not just me who thinks these "rules" are really well written and thought out. I talked through the list with my mister and we agreed that every one was exactly right and each point was appropriate to our relationship.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, flame boy, for sharing that piece of information. I think those rules paint a nice mental picture of how successful any relationship can be and how to go about achieving it. Communicate with each other, play with one another, have support, don't lie to each other, etc. All of those rules are very sound.

matticus201

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is a great article. I find it interesting though, as several others that have commented, that these ten rules would greatly enhance the chances of any relationship, either gay or straight.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Flame Boy-- I think that article resonates with a lot of people (either gay or straight) who have had successful relationships. I think this one is key in any relationship (Although I feel that all of the points are equally valid and important):

They manage conflict productively. Healthy gay couples recognise that conflict is an inevitable and normal part of a relationship, seeing these “rough spots” as opportunities for growth and positive change in their partnership. They deal with their anger in constructive ways, avoid hurtful comments and assigning of blame, and take the time to understand and validate each other’s points of views before initiating collaborative problem-solving to try and reach a win/win solution. They are open to compromise and sacrifice and always keep a teamwork stance in negotiating their differences.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I totally agree with you guys, it's not just rules for a gay relationship - the rules aren't specific for just gay couples. When reading it through I found myself identifying with many of the traits, especially, as Lex pointed out, the part about sex and the conflict/resolve issue.

Also the comment about the rules sounding like a friendship but with sex, isn't that how a relationship should be? I know that my bestest buddy in the whole wide world is also someone I happen to ride like a stallion! :p

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would SO love to find someone like that. I think it's my new mission in life.

I truly believe there is someone out there for each of us. I know I have found the man of my dreams and darkest fantasies. My only advice would be to continually work on yourself and strive to be the person you want to attract.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Flame Boy-- I think that article resonates with a lot of people (either gay or straight) who have had successful relationships. I think this one is key in any relationship (Although I feel that all of the points are equally valid and important):

They manage conflict productively. Healthy gay couples recognise that conflict is an inevitable and normal part of a relationship, seeing these “rough spots” as opportunities for growth and positive change in their partnership. They deal with their anger in constructive ways, avoid hurtful comments and assigning of blame, and take the time to understand and validate each other’s points of views before initiating collaborative problem-solving to try and reach a win/win solution. They are open to compromise and sacrifice and always keep a teamwork stance in negotiating their differences.

Interesting.

I always maintained that partnerships are actually a triad made of three separate but equal members: you, the other, and the relationship itself. There are times when the needs of the relationship trumps the needs of either individual.

The partnerships in my life collapsed when that simple philosophy was violated, and compromise for the good of the relationship failed. It's an incredibly difficult thing to actualize in real life.

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My man and I have just reaches our 3 year anniversary recently, I definitely agree with these 10.

Arguments are a result of a lack of communication somewhere..... share everything that's on your mind. Those 10 are very relevant, thank you flame boy.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's my boyfriend and I to a tee :D

Those ten points could also form the opening chapter of a couples therapy manual. In fact, I think they do...