the silver cord - near-death experiences

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov, Jan 20, 2010.

1. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov Account Disabled

2. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Theosophy and other modes of thought I have studied mention this 'silver cord' also. What it has to do with this particular death I don't know. I associate it more with astral travel or remote viewing.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

The only clue i get from this is that someone has been reading stephen kings's Insomnia.

4. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

I thought the rupture of the cord would occur for every death, including this one. What reminded me of this (the silver cord) was one of Nick's remark about their trying in vain to resuscitate Jason: according to this theory, the threshold of death had already been reached.

5. witch

witch Member

I was in a bad riding accident in the 70s, open brain surgery ..... was on the x-ray table puking blood one minute, then nothing, woke up in the ICU. No near-death for this girl ..... I feel kind of cheated

I did learn death in and of its self is not that frightening

6. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

It is only frightening and painful for those who remain alive.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I sometimes say that I may have had a near-death experience.
    I was nine and in hospital for a tonsillectomy, the only surgery for which that hospital still used ether as the anesthetic.
    I believe I remember going under but still continuing to hear the voices of the anesthetist and the nurses around the operating table.
    Then I had a sense of being drawn up through a kind of tunnel of light, till I felt somehow perched near the ceiling and able to observe what was going on.
    I don't remember being at all frightened ... merely fascinated.
    And then I woke up, with the surgery complete.
    Was this a near-death experience?
    Well, anesthetic does in a sense bring you near something like death.
    But I sometimes wonder if I later conflated what actually happened with what I read about near-death experiences.
    The way I remember it conforms a bit too closely to classic accounts of NDEs.
    As I say, I was only nine.
    So I just don't know.

8. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That reminds me, yesterday morning I was making myself some breakfast and the Today show was on the TV. There was a doctor who had written a book titled "Evidence of the Afterlife" where he concludes that because a lot of people have a similar near death experience that there must be an afterlife. I find it funny that already I've encountered someone who doesn't fit into his neat little package of evidence and I never even intended to look, or read the book for that matter to see how much sly language on the show to try and make it seem convincing.

While I consider the silver cord 'theory' if you want to call it that nonsense, but again it doesn't kind of ruin this guy's 'evidence', assuming that he was more truthful on the show, because he had a guest with him who was in the book. She had the typical tunnel of white light, talked to god (I don't know how typical that is), and was sent back because it wasn't her time. Now, there was no silver cord mentioned in that.

Hope my stance isn't too grim for you guys. :tongue:

9. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

For most of us death is not an issue, it is dying we fear. That we shy away from the dying, even people close to us is a shocking indictment of how selfish we have become. People talk about their inner lives when they mean their souls. As one who experienced a near death experience after a bloody violent confrontation I neither wish to disect the facts, nor work out what it meant. I accepted it as an experience; yes it has probably made me a slightly better person for all that.

10. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you know what really bothers me about people's fascination/aversion to death? It has become extremely expensive to be buried in the United States, and folk stand for this exploitation because they cannot bear to deal with it until the last moment when someoned has died and they are distraught. Very few people know how to prepare a relative for burial inexpensively at home, and 'bargain' cremations are often mismanaged by the unscrupulous.

People need to get over this and deal straightforwardly with death the way they do in times of natural disaster or epidemic.

it's just an empty body now, why pump it full of preservatives and paint its face?

11. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry, but I seem to have eclipsed the original topic, which was not accepting death but the symptoms of near-death. I personally find the dream state very similar to near-death, and do not recall any 'silver cord'-- but then I was not in any way worried about reconnecting with my body. Probably those who experience a 'silver cord' are wishing for there to be some sort of visualized connecting thing in order to reassure themselves?

Draft saved Draft deleted