The Sleeveless Stigma

trkr4ckskr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have lived in the South..........when I was younger and thinner, I wore mesh T shirts without sleeves just about everywhere except to work or to church. I never got a negative comment.

When I was young in the South, in the late 70's to early 80's, we all went shirtless throughout the summer, in fact wearing nothing but cut-off wranglers that actually fit the body. It was a great time to be young and alive. You could tell who was interested in sex with you by the way they looked at you, as well as being comfortable as all get out.

I don't know what has happened to the young men of these days, but I suspect that it has to do with the female domination that has happened in society and the fact that they all grow up without strong father figures. They are all ashamed of having male bodies because they have been taught that female is good and male is bad.

rembrandt1603

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I originally thought this was about short-sleeve dress shirts! I'm suffering from hay fever right now though, so my absent-mindedness is forgiveable. :p

To answer the question; I find myself agreeing with this stigma. Speaking as a man who has worked out seriously/semi-seriously for the past three years, it never even crossed my mind to wear wife-beaters or short-sleeved shirts at all. Primarily because there was nothing to show, and I believe if there's nothing to show; keep it covered up.

I suppose I'm viewing it similarly to an undeveloped male torso. If you don't have a decent body in any way, shape or form-- don't go topless. It just looks bad.

trkr4ckskr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I originally thought this was about short-sleeve dress shirts! I'm suffering from hay fever right now though, so my absent-mindedness is forgiveable. :p

To answer the question; I find myself agreeing with this stigma. Speaking as a man who has worked out seriously/semi-seriously for the past three years, it never even crossed my mind to wear wife-beaters or short-sleeved shirts at all. Primarily because there was nothing to show, and I believe if there's nothing to show; keep it covered up.

I suppose I'm viewing it similarly to an undeveloped male torso. If you don't have a decent body in any way, shape or form-- don't go topless. It just looks bad.

Who appointed you to be the clothing dictator of the world? If "it just looks bad" to you, then you are free to look the other way, just as every other person is free to dress in any manner they choose.

ChicagoSW

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think it's a matter of sleeves being sought as more appropriate in certain settings. I can't see anybody complaining about sleeveless shirts at the beach, pool, or gym (unless it's more of a country club style gym). Even out and about in public shouldn't be an issue.

I think expectations change when it comes to places where you're not expected to be uncomfortably warm; that's when people start insisting on shirts with sleeves. Very few people want to see armpits. It's a societal construct, assuredly, but most forced manners are. Really, though, are sleeves that cumbersome?

I fear I'm coming off haughty here. Not my intention - I'm lazy, if anything else, as I don't feel like rewriting the post!

Closing: Rock your sleeveless look whenever you can. When you're inside and not working out, sleeves may be a better choice.