The sound of her shoes

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Kevbo, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

I know heels can be a pain for women to wear, but I have to say that they can really accentuate sexiness. And it occurred to me that it's not just the look of them -- the way they change a woman's walk, and cause her derriere to figure-eight and her breasts to shimmy -- but it's also the sound of them. Hearing heels approaching is a sure wake-up call for me. I can't help but look.

I'm guessing this is true for many guys, just by casual observation. Ladies, how aware are you of this, uh, feature? Do you ever choose shoes, not necessarily for how they look (or match an outfit), but for how they sound?

I say all this with the disclaimer that I'm not a foot or shoe fetishist, in particular, but probably through conditioning I've found the sounds of a lady walking in heels to always rate at least a look :smile:.

Kevbo

2. LadyJaneGrey

LadyJaneGrey New Member

Yes. Absolutely.

Although many shoe shops have carpetted floors and it is difficult to be totally sure of the sound of a shoe on hard surfaces.

These days I can tell from the look and feel of the material on the sole what a shoe will sound like and usually I go for those I know will make sharper sounds.

I particularly love wooden heels though the ball of the foot needs a material that grips to compensate.

I have always been that way since I was a little girl.

I find most little girls are the same.

They like staccato shoes because it makes them feel more grown up.

I know that was my motivation and I suppose some women grow out of it and some do not.

I did not.

3. xX_Sarah_Xx

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Very aware. I know it turns heads. I may not acknowledge it, and appear not to notice, but I very much do. I feel more sexy wearing them. My problem is my shoe size. I'm pretty tall, and so I have big feet. Size 42. Shoemakers seem to think that tall women do not want high-heeled shoes that make them look taller. Or make noise that draws attention.
    Well guess what shoemakers :mad: I LIKE being tall. I LIKE high-heeled shoes that make me look even taller. And I'm not ashamed to say, I like the attention. It's great for my ego and my confidence. I just like feeling sexy...
    Going shoeshopping is usually incredibly frustrating because I love (*LOVE!*) shoes and I usually get to hear "oh we don't have those in your size".

No. I'm very picky. I need to love the whole shoe. If they have a nice sound to it though, I'll pick it over another as-nice-looking shoe anytime.

4. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    i've always been a tomboy about shoes and largely wear runners or mary janes which tend to make little sound when walking (stealth mode!), but i love the way some heels look and sound on other women. the sound of them adds to the sex appeal.

5. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am very aware of this. I don't choose my shoes for sound, but for height and style of heel. (I prefer 3-4" monolith heels.) When I lived in NY, I loved the way my shoes sounded in my house. I liked the differences in how they sounded on the vinyl tile, hardwood, and linoleum. I liked the way they sounded one way on the concrete sidewalks, and another way on the concrete subway steps. I did notice that when I entered the subway, men and sometimes children would look up. Sometimes their attention was held, sometimes not.

6. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some shops cater to transvestites. Often, much of their selection of shoes is way too slutty to be useful, but you still find some real gems. If you can find some of those shops, you'll have lots of fun shopping, I think. I don;t know why shoe manufacturers seem to think taller women do not need sexy shoes.

7. B_curiousme01

B_curiousme01 New Member

LOL!!! And here I thought you all were looking at me and not checking out my heels and the sounds they make!

HEH. I don't like my shoes to make any noise. It makes me very self-conscious to walk on a hard floor and be surrounded by little "clicks" bouncing off the walls. Especially if I am the only on making them.

It makes me happy to know that someone out there doesn't mind :)

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have a friend who has a friend who actually teaches a class on who to walk in high heels, similar to this...YouTube - HOW TO WALK IN HIGH HEELS...with Catwalk Confidence
    But what I was lead to believe is that the proper way to walk in high heels is if you walk in them backwards you are only able to walk on the balls of your foot and you need to train yourself to do it walking forward; it completely eliminates the click-clack sound (which I like).

9. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've never picked out shoes specifically for the sounds that they make. I have to like the shoe to buy it, not the sound. Shoes are a weakness of mine, but if someone catches me at home I'm normally barefoot because I prefer it.

10. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    That cannot possibly be correct. It is a physical impossibility in heels over a certain height. That certain height varies based upon the ankle stability, calf strength, and arch of the wearer. I'm flat-footed with minuscule ankles. My best heels are all taller than I am capable of tip-toeing for more than a few yards. Also, when I need to step back, I do put the ball of my foot down first, but for practicality (and common fucking sense) my heel is soon to follow. Your friend's toes-only method is probably great protection for one's knees, but otherwise makes absolutely no sense.

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Hey don't blow a gasket. I don't even wear high hells or really give a shit how people walk in them. I just posted some info that maybe someone was unaware of. But for the sake of argument, put on any pair of high hells and walk backwards in them. You can't walk putting any weight on the heel of your foot; then try the same thing going forward.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I almost always wear high heels. I even have sneakers with elevated heels. Due to advice I had read, I switched to flats when my belly began to grow and my lower back hurt all the time. There was one day when I wasn't feeling my best and I thought, "I don't care! I'm wearing these pretty shoes!" To my surprise, my lower back didn't hurt that day! And it was much easier to walk like a lady instead of a duck. Wearing flats was terrible advice! So I've continued wearing heels during the rest of my pregnancy.

I've never liked the click-clack sound, though. People do turn their heads and it attracts attention. Sometime when I was younger, someone told me that it was uncouth to have such a loud walk, and I've been self-conscious about making too much sound while walking ever since. I prefer to be in ninja mode, too. I never thought that someone might enjoy that sound.

13. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I have NEVER understood the fascination so many women have for shoes, particularly high heels. I must have been standing in the wrong line when they were giving out that particular trait :biggrin1:

Seriously, I own 4 pairs of shoes: a pair of Docs, a pair of sneakers, a pair of thongs (flip flops for the non-Aussies :biggrin1:), and a pair of riding boots. And I've never owned a pair of high heels in my life.

14. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was given that trait plus some. The funny thing is MOST of the time I'm in flip flops or barefoot. My favorite outfit normally consists of jeans and flip flops and whatever shirt I feel like wearing. As soon as I walk in the house shoes come off.

BUT when I have to go in for business meetings and such I always wear heels. My boss even asked me one day if I ever wear the same pair of shoes twice, which she was being silly of course I do. I absolutely love shoes. Thankfully I was only struck with a shoe fetish and not with a handbag fetish. I hate purses and bags, that's why I have pockets. All I need is my debit card, license and some lipgloss and I'm ready to roll.

I also agree with Petite, I try to be quiet in my heels and keep the clicking sound to a whisper.

15. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    No one is blowing a gasket but I am dumbfounded that anyone is paying for that advice if your interpretation of that advice is correct. I wear heels nearly daily. I do know precisely what I'm talking about. Still, to be fair to you, I honored your request and put on shoes before replying. These are 3.75" stilettos.

First I walked backwards as I normally would. I put the ball of my foot down, then my heel. The weight was mostly on the ball of my foot, but definitely also supported by the heel. As the forward foot swung back, the weight shifted to center, and felt equally supported by both ball and heel. That is how I always step back, even in flats.

Next I walked backwards placing the whole foot down at once, to see if instant weight-to-heels was possible. It is. It just feels inelegant, unnatural, and unsafe. Also, it hurt my knees.

Next I walked backwards without putting any weight on my heels at all. WRONG! No stability, no balance, no grace, and I could never make more than three steps before I HAD to put my heels down (and use them) because my calves were getting very badly strained. Toes-only is for dancing (in 2" character shoes or some other dance shoe) not walking in not 3"+ fashion shoes.

Still, I attempted to walk forward the same way. This was much more stable than going backwards had been, but still much less stable than my natural walk, and just as unmaintainable as the backwards attempt. This just isn't good or practical advice, in my experienced opinion.

I also never put one foot in front of the other as many heels-lessons videos suggest. I'd eventually trip myself, and since that is avoidable...

When I walk, I stride. Even in pumps I do not take mincing little steps. I'm not a mincing little girl. I'm a bold woman. (EXCEPTION: If the heels are over 4.5", it is impossible to do anything other than mince; it's still heels first though.) My heels walk is a kick-and-sway. The toe does lead, but placing it down first is a physical improbability. I would have to throw my body forward, abandoning both balance and good posture. My heels go down first, but only just barely ahead of my toes. There are two clicks, but they are close enough to each other that most of the time, they sound like one.

I then ran around my kitchen. Running is toes first in these shoes. In much lower heels, (based on memory- I did not pull out a second pair of shoes) I run toes only. In sneakers, I land heels first. (I jog four times a week. I do not need to pull out sneakers and test this. I've had my gait analyzed quite a few times.). When running in heels, my weight is thrown forward, instead of evenly distributed like it is when I walk in heels.

In conclusion, your friend's friend's advice is great for running in heels, not so much for walking. It's not advice I would follow, and if I paid for such lessons, I would be disappointed. I would probably find myself believing that I'd never master walking in heels, never stop wobbling, be constantly afraid of the impending sprained ankle, and likely to spend the rest of my life in sneakers. Luckily for me, I not only had no idea there were classes on walking in heels, but I also received my very first pair over 18 years ago. After two weeks of daily practice in my grandmother's front hall, I had figured out the best approach for myself. When I was satisfied, my mother and grandmother were called to see if my walking was appropriate for my Confirmation. They were pleased. I have changed very little about my walk since then.

#15 AlteredEgo, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  16. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
  17. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

18. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes you are... in a good way. I love the look of a naked woman with a pair of riding boots.

19. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

ROFLMAO :biggrin1:

I'll wear riding boots for you more often then :tongue:

20. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I can almost agree, but not quite...I at least have never *bought* any heels for myself. But I've been given a number of pairs throughout the years. I either never wear them, or I wear them maybe once. I don't know how to walk in them and they don't really fit my style, so it ends up being a shame they go to waste in my closet.

In fact anyone wear a US size 8,5? :biggrin1:

1 red pair similar to these examples (hand-made from prague) with a more dangerous-looking heel

1 black pair kind of like these but not open-toed, similar hand-stitching

i'm givin 'em away!

Draft saved Draft deleted