The South African Condom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by warmsunshine, Sep 4, 2005.

1. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

I know rape is not a laughing matter at all. This article just sorta jumped out at me, that's all (with the picture and everything...)

Well, lets just say that anyone who tries to rape someone should get what they deserve and this is the first step, I'd say!

South African anti-rape condom aims to stop attacks
    02 September 2005

KLEINMOND: A South African inventor has unveiled a new anti-rape female condom that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

The Anti-Rape Condom

Of course I would think that the guy could just remove it somehow before his...er...insertion and would be even more violent with the woman, but...who knows?

2. Dorset

Dorset New Member

Albums:
    I think this looks like a really good idea in theory, maybe it would make the attacker more likely to harm the woman wearing it but I think a woman should be allowed to decide for herself if she wants to take that risk

The only problem is, and we all know it'll happen, is that many women will wear them to protect against rape, then go out for a drink or too with friends, hook up with a guy they like and completely forget they're wearing them causing great harm to innocent men!!

3. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well It's about time ......even though it's kind of barbaric. I have seen what has been happening over there in Africa. Some of the men seem to be rapeing everything that moves. Grown women to little girls and even babies.
    If the word get out that this really does exist, then maybe it will stop. I also hope that it will be another way of controlling the spread ing of HIV...wich has become crazy over there. Its a sad place..I feel for those people.
    One day I hope they will have a happy place to live, like here in the USA.

:hi:

4. Dorset

Dorset New Member

Albums:
    I just had to add one more thing, barbaric? wtf?

We are talking about rapists here, there is nothing on earth that could be done to these animals that is more than they deserve!

5. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes I do agree with you....I just think that with our advanced culture. We could come up with something better....know what I mean.
    :hi:

6. curiouscat9

curiouscat9 New Member

Though Ms. Ehlers should be commended for her attempt at curbing the rape rate in South Africa, her solution is really not one. Mass efforts of education and realigning cultural folklore is actually the better answer. BBB2.5 is correct in that "men seem to be raping everything that moves...little girls...babies." This is because local religion/cultural lore insists that a virgin will cure disease. In an area where HIV/Aids is in epidemic proportions, it is no wonder South Africa has one of the largest rape statistics in the world, as the virgin theory appears to be widely believed. I won't even get into the repression of freedoms for women and the whole women's circumcision issues in that country (and other), which also lends itself to the statistics.

Regardless, I do agree the condom is a bit barbaric (though I agree with Dorset that so is rape.) It is also flawed, as the article is not clear on what will prevent the would be rapist from taking the condom off well before his next rape. This is a bizarre solution to the problem.

7. Pye

Pye
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Although I am all for the barbaric means by which to punish rapists, I see flaws with this condom.

Would women (and children) have to wear it 24/7? Or is it something that you remember to install? "I'm going to the market today..I might be raped..better put in RAPEX"

Wouldn't rapists being alerted to such a device anally rape someone? or remove the device and invert it and insert it vaginally? It's a scary thought.

And I agree that some unsuspecting man might be mistakely barbed when "oops, I forgot!"

Also, RAPEX means that penetration has occured-- very traumatic! Wouldn't it make more sense to wear cast iron locking underwear ie the medievel chastity belts?

8. prof64

prof64 New Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I am all for the use of the RAPEX condom.

We sometimes forget that Rape is an act of violence and aggression and the only way to deal with violence is the Hard way. Africa is a hard place to live and the civilities of western life do not count in societies where woman are regarded as 3rd class citizens.

Rapist in South Africa are largely uneducated and illiterate and few have access to TV and the media - education is therefore largely ineffective.

The government and police are totaly ineffective in curbing the problem so the only way a woman can protect herself is to take harsh measure to protect herself such as the RAPEX condom.

The only way a rapist will learn that what he is doing is wrong is to have things cut off or to feel the pain the RAPEX condom will cause.

9. jonb

Gold Member

curiouscat:
    FGM in South Africa? What have you been smoking? It's not outlawed, but it's rare if present at all. I haven't seen every South African vulva, so I don't know.

Virgin cleansing seems to be an old myth. Victorians believed the same thing about syphilis.

I think the rapex is a good idea, but there's still the question of anal rape.

10. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good Grief, just shoot em.

45 Million people, and 1 in 9 have Aids.
    Why are we wasting time for them to get to the hospital. Theyre just gonna go out and do it again.

Simple, set an example and start exterminating.

C

11. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I don't every rapists has AIDs and every AIDs victim is a rapist.

Anyway, I'd say "shoot the US/Euro ones, they're all gay!*"

*Sarcasm.

12. jonb

Gold Member

All I know is, HIV's the perfect virus. Any other illness, you don't exactly feel like spreading it. But AIDS . . . By the time you notice you have it, you can infect hundreds of people.

13. kinkyman

kinkyman New Member

this idea is similar to one in a sci-fi book. the title is Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. in it, there is a girl who wears/uses a device that has a thin hypodermic needle. the needle injects a sedative in the rapist, and causes him to pass out.
    and just a Dorset said might happen, almost does in the story. the girl hooks up with a guy, and forgets about the device.
    isnt it strange how sci-fi becomes sci-almost reality?

-Kinkyman

14. jonb

Gold Member

And that's the problem with anti-rape devices. Rapists are scum, but memories aren't perfect.

15. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Wow... Talk about vagina dentata come to life...

I see a number of problems with this... First of all, as has been stated, penetration would have to occur for the device to work at all. How about handing out mace, or stun guns, or machetes to prevent an attack in the first place? That way, there's way less of a chance of an accidental injury to an unsuspecting individual.

Plus, um, what if this rapex device should shift and become barbed to the inside of the woman's vagina? Talk about "OW, FUCK, IT FEELS LIKE I'M GETTING FUCKED BY A JELLYFISH."

And if it is a widely accepted idea that virgins possess some kind of healing power, I'd say dispelling this rumor should, indeed, be the first step in rectifying the situation. Throw up some billboards, hand out some pamphlets... Something to the tune of "Leave the fucking virgins alone, already."

Either that, or have the punishment for rape become more fitting to the crime... Have men convicted of rape undergo a phallectomy and/or castration. That might deter enough men seeking a cure via virgin twat. After all, living with a diseased dick is better than no dick... I'm guessing.

16. Geekyraccoon

Geekyraccoon New Member

It would also be extremely difficult to mass produce something complex like a sedative, which I'm sure could be damaged or something and affect the woman at some point. While I'm sure it isn't an ideal solution, I have no idea what would be. They seem to be able to make them in large quantities, and can spread them to women.

The question of having to wear them nearly all the time is an interesting one. I don't know if the statistics on date rape are the same there as here in the states, but it might be that many women would take it out when going on a date 'just in case'.

I like the innovation to at least try to come up with some sort of defense. It's one of the most repulsive things on the planet.

17. Doc

Doc New Member

Albums:
    The article claims that its not a means of vengenance but a form to counter rape. Well I'm not so sure. Mainly because, in order for the man to be entraped, he has to insert. So rape has to take place for it to work.

The inventor is right in the sense that the damage is minimal to the vicitim considering what would happen if the device weren't there. And it does give the woman the chance to flee which is critical, if she uses it.

It still seems a bit more of a dangerous solution. For instance.

Most woman in rape cases don't get into them because they asked for it, it is forced upon them, which leads you to conclude that they have been physically defeated in one sense or another before the rape takes place. Lets assume the assailant inserts, screams and yells, lets go of the victim, then what. How much energy does she have left. How much energy does he have left. It's a problem. If he chooses to get angry and retaliate, she's in big trouble. She does have more leverage now, she could pull on the device, and he would stop or run, but she is extremely tired.

If she manages to escape then I think it is a brilliant idea. But rape is a very brutal and physical crime that takes up all of the endurance of the vicitim. I can't stop imagining this device might not save that many rapes as cause more murders.

Just a thought. But interesting device none the less. Maybe designing a device that would shock the assailant might be a better idea. Something that can knock the assailant out for a while or put him to the floor for a good amount of time. Getting him mor infuriated just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

18. Yummy

Yummy New Member

If we can arm people in other nations who turn around and shoot at our military with guns that WE bought them, we can arm African women and teach them how to shoot. Bullets are cheap. Apply as needed.

19. GoneA

Gold Member

I thought of that book immediately. Neal Stephenson's books are great.

Rapex in theory sounds WONDERFUL; but, in practice, may be more problematic than providential. If given time, like many, many other products, I'm sure it can be improved. Hats off to Ehlers.

**takes hat off**

20. invisibleman

Gold Member

A drastic solution for a drastic problem. I guess if these guys weren't out there raping these women thinking that they are entitled to any and every women that looks sexy to them, there wouldn't be a need for a RAPEX condom. The real question is: could that product be used against the innocent ones? Could this used against any man by women with ill intentions. There are a lot of questions that need to be explored on this anti-rape condom. Just thinking about the abuses of that product alone scares me. Another example of people being so f--cked up in the head. They have to examine that invention again.

Draft saved Draft deleted