The "Star Spangled Banner" in Spanish?

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
Hi,

I just heard on Anderson Cooper that someone has created a new version of the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish and with different lyrics... What do you think?
Seriously, I'm with G-Dub on this one. I mean, how you gonna rep this country if you can't speak the native language? (insert joke about niggas here). Plus it's like they're getting a pass for their illegal lifestyle and niggas are still getting billy-clubbed for jaywalking. Fuck that.

I WANT MY GODDAMN ACRES.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Dr. Dilznick said:
rep this country if you can't speak the native language?
English was not the "native language" that the UK and European settlers found when they came to this land. Although English is the most common of the many languages that those persons brought to the USA there is no official language of the United States. See:

http://games.toast.net/independence/page1.asp

Re: the topic. There are some lyrics in the Spanish version that are different and I suspect that was done intentionally to cause a controversy. IMO I think it is good for them to learn the Anthem in their own language, but without the additional changes.

dedicated to jonb

by dreamer20

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
naughty said:
Hi,

I just heard on Anderson Cooper that someone has created a new version of the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish and with different lyrics... What do you think?

I think it was a terrible ideia to do so...

If was just a translation to people understand what it means..ok...but to sing it in spanish and et...no way Jose.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
naughty said:
Hi,

NO! NO! NO! I HATE THE IDEAL OF IT!

America is an English Speaking country, and officially should remain English speaking. I usually love Wyclef and Daddy Yankee, but I'm sorry I am not a supporter of making America Multi-Lingual.
peace

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To be completely honest, it astonishes me that anyone could even find something controversial about this.

You are worried about this??? Really.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Matthew said:
To be completely honest, it astonishes me that anyone could even find something controversial about this.

You are worried about this??? Really.

No it does'nt rate in the top one-hundred of America's most pressing issues.
I do have a problem with the suggesstion that America should accomodate non-English speakers with a Spanish version of the "Star-Spangled Banner". How rude do people in other countries find American's who have not taken the time out to learn the official language that they speak? Rude and Arrogant indeed!

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Gotta say I am not real fond Of hearing it in Spanish. If they come to a country and want a better life or whatever learn the language and laws. If they want to sing a national anthem in Spanish, let it be the Mexican anthem. I am Scottish does this mean that soon it will be rewritten in Gaelic and verses rewritten?
What's next? Klingonese?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not being American I'm not even close to considering skirting round the edges of thinking about giving a tinkers cuss..... And the same goes for our national Anthem.

I do feel than residents of a country should learn the lingua franca for day to day life but if they also choose to sing allegiance to their nation in their native tongue what does it matter and who gets hurt?

Hell if Spanish causes issues if it were translated and sung in Arabic or Farsi there'd probably be civil unrest....:tongue:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for our immigrants! :|

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pecker said:
It's not much of a stretch really since our Star Spangled Banner already starts out "Josè can you see..."

:biggrin1:

Pecker you and Dr.Rock ...just rock...2 very funny men!!!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Dr Rock said:
well let's face it, the lyrics suck hard enough in english, so i don't wanna think about how bad it'd be translated.

I'd be in favor of taking the words out altogether and just leaving the tune, then it wouldn't matter what language you speak.

Dr Rock for President!

Get your "MY PAL AL" campaign buttons now before they're gone!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mindseye said:
Well, if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for our immigrants! :|

I wanna fuck you like an animal.

Am I the only one here who supports this idea? Do any of you stupid fuckers realise that we are probably the only civilised country that isn't already multi-lingual? What's arrogant is US, it's even our fucking name!

We come to a continent, disrupt their entire social structure, kill them with our diseases, murder the rest, import slaves, all in the name of "freedom", but only for white landowners THEN insist that OUR language THAT WE BROUGHT WITH US FROM FUCKING ENGLAND is the "native language" that everyone ELSE coming here must speak.

We refuse to learn other languages, and we're really far too stupid. When I was in Spain, most people there could speak at least two languages, often three or more, not just the geniuses! You know what else? Speaking my idiot level Spanish got me around because people were NICE to me and helped me out. We don't do that here, we have this selfish egotistical attitude that everyone should have to complete five years of English to enter the country. Well, I HAVE taken five years of Spanish, but I never use it so I don't remember it. It comes back when I'm immersed in the language, at least to a degree, but people helping me is what made the difference. If you could speak Spanish, French, German or English, you could get around. Im Morocco, street signs were in sometimes as many as seven languages! But America- land of the stupid- we can't be bothered to accomodate anyone who isn't Merkin. We are buffoons. The rest of the world knows it, we're the ones who haven't gotten the letter in the mail.

Are we really worried about this? You bet your sweet ass we are. You have to pick a stupid topic for stupid people to get mad about. They don't understand the more complex stuff, so keep in simple.

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
naughty said:
Hi,

how the hell does this shit make network news?>