The "Star Spangled Banner" in Spanish?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, Apr 29, 2006.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I just heard on Anderson Cooper that someone has created a new version of the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish and with different lyrics... What do you think?

2. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Seriously, I'm with G-Dub on this one. I mean, how you gonna rep this country if you can't speak the native language? (insert joke about niggas here). Plus it's like they're getting a pass for their illegal lifestyle and niggas are still getting billy-clubbed for jaywalking. Fuck that.

I WANT MY GODDAMN ACRES.

3. dreamer20

Gold Member

English was not the "native language" that the UK and European settlers found when they came to this land. Although English is the most common of the many languages that those persons brought to the USA there is no official language of the United States. See:

http://games.toast.net/independence/page1.asp

Re: the topic. There are some lyrics in the Spanish version that are different and I suspect that was done intentionally to cause a controversy. IMO I think it is good for them to learn the Anthem in their own language, but without the additional changes.

dedicated to jonb

by dreamer20

4. Gisella

Gold Member

I think it was a terrible ideia to do so...

If was just a translation to people understand what it means..ok...but to sing it in spanish and et...no way Jose.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It's not much of a stretch really since our Star Spangled Banner already starts out "Josè can you see..."

6. B_cricketsliar

B_cricketsliar New Member

NO! NO! NO! I HATE THE IDEAL OF IT!

America is an English Speaking country, and officially should remain English speaking. I usually love Wyclef and Daddy Yankee, but I'm sorry I am not a supporter of making America Multi-Lingual.
    peace

7. inwait8

inwait8 Active Member

Albums:
    Um, NO. :mad:
    English is still the "standard" language of America... IRregardless of how much we might mess it up.

8. Matthew

Gold Member

To be completely honest, it astonishes me that anyone could even find something controversial about this.

You are worried about this??? Really.

9. B_cricketsliar

B_cricketsliar New Member

No it does'nt rate in the top one-hundred of America's most pressing issues.
    I do have a problem with the suggesstion that America should accomodate non-English speakers with a Spanish version of the "Star-Spangled Banner". How rude do people in other countries find American's who have not taken the time out to learn the official language that they speak? Rude and Arrogant indeed!

10. shad24

shad24 New Member

Gotta say I am not real fond Of hearing it in Spanish. If they come to a country and want a better life or whatever learn the language and laws. If they want to sing a national anthem in Spanish, let it be the Mexican anthem. I am Scottish does this mean that soon it will be rewritten in Gaelic and verses rewritten?
    What's next? Klingonese?

11. dong20

Gold Member

Not being American I'm not even close to considering skirting round the edges of thinking about giving a tinkers cuss..... And the same goes for our national Anthem.

I do feel than residents of a country should learn the lingua franca for day to day life but if they also choose to sing allegiance to their nation in their native tongue what does it matter and who gets hurt?

Hell if Spanish causes issues if it were translated and sung in Arabic or Farsi there'd probably be civil unrest....:tongue:

12. Shelby

Gold Member

I'm looking forward to the arabic version.

13. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Trust me, as a partial descendant of a Union soldier that WAS given acres... Even with all the advantages of "white opportunity", education, etc., by the time it's rolled around to my generation, there's not shit left.

14. mindseye

Gold Member

Well, if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for our immigrants! :|

15. Gisella

Gold Member

:biggrin1:

Pecker you and Dr.Rock ...just rock...2 very funny men!!!

16. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    well let's face it, the lyrics suck hard enough in english, so i don't wanna think about how bad it'd be translated.

I'd be in favor of taking the words out altogether and just leaving the tune, then it wouldn't matter what language you speak.

17. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Dr Rock for President!

Get your "MY PAL AL" campaign buttons now before they're gone!

18. dong20

Gold Member

Behind Mr Attenborough though Dr Rock...

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

I wanna fuck you like an animal.

Am I the only one here who supports this idea? Do any of you stupid fuckers realise that we are probably the only civilised country that isn't already multi-lingual? What's arrogant is US, it's even our fucking name!

We come to a continent, disrupt their entire social structure, kill them with our diseases, murder the rest, import slaves, all in the name of "freedom", but only for white landowners THEN insist that OUR language THAT WE BROUGHT WITH US FROM FUCKING ENGLAND is the "native language" that everyone ELSE coming here must speak.

We refuse to learn other languages, and we're really far too stupid. When I was in Spain, most people there could speak at least two languages, often three or more, not just the geniuses! You know what else? Speaking my idiot level Spanish got me around because people were NICE to me and helped me out. We don't do that here, we have this selfish egotistical attitude that everyone should have to complete five years of English to enter the country. Well, I HAVE taken five years of Spanish, but I never use it so I don't remember it. It comes back when I'm immersed in the language, at least to a degree, but people helping me is what made the difference. If you could speak Spanish, French, German or English, you could get around. Im Morocco, street signs were in sometimes as many as seven languages! But America- land of the stupid- we can't be bothered to accomodate anyone who isn't Merkin. We are buffoons. The rest of the world knows it, we're the ones who haven't gotten the letter in the mail.

Are we really worried about this? You bet your sweet ass we are. You have to pick a stupid topic for stupid people to get mad about. They don't understand the more complex stuff, so keep in simple.

20. rhino_horn

rhino_horn New Member

how the hell does this shit make network news?>

Draft saved Draft deleted