Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
mindseye said:
Well, if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for our immigrants! :|

You joke about that, but I did hear a preacher once say that Jesus spoke in King James English. I didn't know if I should walk out or burst out laughing! Talk about stupidity...

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I speak two languages and understand a third, but I have a problem with the national anthem being mis-translated. I know that things can not always be translated literally, but when things are changed, the meaning of the poetry is not the same. That change is what bothers me. If someone wants to make a translation so people can understand it, it ok, but the song was written in English, and I think it should always be sung that way. I don't know if other countries have multi-lingual translations of their national anthems when they are unilingual. If they are officially multi-lingual, it doesn't matter, because it's a different issue.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Monty, you have a point. However, I still feel that if someone wants to sing a patriotic song about America in their own language, I'm just happy they're proud of our country. Oh, and if that song could even remotely be considered poetic, it would matter more too.

"And the rocket's red glare
The bombs bursting in air
gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there"

Yeah, we're a bunch of warmongering fools, but Dr. Seuss would be proud. I especially have always hated the clunkiness of "the bombs bursting in air", that sentence should have started with a vowel sound to fit better musically. It was never a work of art, it was one of passion.

All of our ancestors were immigrants. This whole anti-immigration movement has me very steamed.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
madame_zora said:
Monty, you have a point. However, I still feel that if someone wants to sing a patriotic song about America in their own language, I'm just happy they're proud of our country. Oh, and if that song could even remotely be considered poetic, it would matter more too.

"And the rocket's red glare
The bombs bursting in air
gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there"

Yeah, we're a bunch of warmongering fools, but Dr. Seuss would be proud. I especially have always hated the clunkiness of "the bombs bursting in air", that sentence should have started with a vowel sound to fit better musically. It was never a work of art, it was one of passion.

All of our ancestors were immigrants. This whole anti-immigration movement has me very steamed.

Unfortunately Jana,

Not all of all of our ancestors were immigrants. Many were here and displaced while others were brought as captives against their will. I have mixed feeling about the aggressive manner in which much of this is taking place.

K.

D

deleted3272

I think its B.S. if we cater to them they they wont even bother trying to learn english, and its the freaking national anthem. Its just getting out of hand. Im not anti imagration but if your going to become a citizen of another nation you should be able to speak their damn language.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Matthew said:
To be completely honest, it astonishes me that anyone could even find something controversial about this.

You are worried about this??? Really.

Loss of nationality for one. My guess is the ACLU will require it in schools in California.

Anyone go to a baseball game in Toronto or Montreal.... when they'd do both national anthems. Imagine our kids relishing in the Hillary-Teddy sensitivity version of the national anthem, as they have to recite/hear it in every dialect of the kid in their class in Santa Clara County/Ventura County/LA County/San Diego County... as the anthem NEEDS to be recited in Spanisih, English, Chinese, Tagalog, Samoan, Farsi, Portuguese, French (nope that's a whitey-guilt-ridden-European-ancestry), Vietnamese, Laotian, Arabic (you HAVE to have that), Australian accented, dog, telepathic, satanic, Spanish-with-Mexican-dialect, Spanish-with-Guatemalean-accent, Canadian (;-)), Finnish, Russian, Ebonics, and Tongan.

"Sorry kids it's time to go home, our anthem senstivity program levied by the ACLU and the CTA, is already in violation as the anthems we've had to run thru, have gone over the allowed allotment of time you are required to be in school."

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
madame_zora said:

What you don't realize, amidst all the inclusionary rhetoric you drivel out... is all this does is segregate the ppl. When Italians came over... when French came over, when Mexicans (pre-1980) came over, Russian, et al..

They learned the language, they assimilated, and brought their nice swirl of culture , but didn't impose... there's a reason whey ppl back then came here. Libbies on th eother hand, are so gulit ridden (though they love to float tax dollars to minorities, yet their jilted offspring are attend the most whitey-academies-in-New-England it's laughable ...the hypocrisy... talk about NIMBY.. what would Teddy Kennedy think of his cakebread daughter dating a Latino from East LA... spare me, and attending her wedding when the ceremony if half recited in Spanish...). Hypocrite abound.

Remember in the 70s when we were told that if the US DIDN"T ADOPT THE METRIC SYSTEM and catch up with the rest of the world , we'd be left behind. Last I knew, I bought a gallon of milk... all the American cock postings here are in inches, the mileage you spew about you fucking overly-priced hybrid is in miles and so on. The US has been what it is for 200+ years, and I will say the last 100, I wouldn't trade with any other country (except Liechtenstein).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
pisces2325 said:
I could understand if it was a direct translation, but since the words were changed to rhyme, I think that it is unpatriotic and wrong.

Sing the Mexican national anthem in English in Mexico City... good night now.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
>>Do any of you stupid fuckers realise that we are probably the only civilised country that isn't already multi-lingual?

Dimwitted remark... if you even COULD get into one of a myriad of countries.. Japan, Australia, England, Finland, Norway, Egypt... do you seriously think they would bend over backward to make sure they were SEEEEEEEEEENSTIVE to your citizenship enrollement to make sure it was in your native dialect... much less, who cares how you got into their country... so long as you were in their border, you have every right to every privelege. Please, don't be hypocritical and pull out examples of "other countries"... this is THE biggest welfare nation on the planet for anyone who shows up at the door. The SPCA of the planet Earth.

MorganaDrake

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
faceking said:
What you don't realize, amidst all the inclusionary rhetoric you drivel out... is all this does is segregate the ppl. When Italians came over... when French came over, when Mexicans (pre-1980) came over, Russian, et al..

They learned the language, they assimilated, and brought their nice swirl of culture , but didn't impose... there's a reason whey ppl back then came here. Libbies on th eother hand, are so gulit ridden (though they love to float tax dollars to minorities, yet their jilted offspring are attend the most whitey-academies-in-New-England it's laughable ...the hypocrisy... talk about NIMBY.. what would Teddy Kennedy think of his cakebread daughter dating a Latino from East LA... spare me, and attending her wedding when the ceremony if half recited in Spanish...). Hypocrite abound.

Remember in the 70s when we were told that if the US DIDN"T ADOPT THE METRIC SYSTEM and catch up with the rest of the world , we'd be left behind. Last I knew, I bought a gallon of milk... all the American cock postings here are in inches, the mileage you spew about you fucking overly-priced hybrid is in miles and so on. The US has been what it is for 200+ years, and I will say the last 100, I wouldn't trade with any other country (except Liechtenstein).

Well thank God they did assimilate because you know if they didn;'t they might have been forced off their land like the Native Americans and then massacred when they wouldn't leave their land willing. Oh and don't even let me get started on how we MADE them speak our language, educate in a manner we saw fitting, and practice our religion...UNTIL the 1970's.

And no this doesn't segregate people. People are still segregated in many ways. You have your Native Americans that we've shoved onto reservations. You have your little ethnic neighborhoods...the Chinese here, the Italians here, etc...and then you have neighborhoods that are white or black. To see a mix of ethnic backgrounds in a neighborhood is still something that occurs in the minority. I grew up in a neighborhood that was all white, when I moved out of that neighborhood last year it was all hispanic. And no we didn't move out of that neighborhood because of the race factor, we moved out because we had no choice. And then you have schools in a city and certain schools seem to have more African Americans than whites or vice versa and insert any other ethnic groups into the mix. So don't talk about this segregating people when you still find pockets of Ethnic groups all over. This country has had these pockets of groups for as longer than it has been called the USA.

Furthermore, the United States of America has a history of FORCING people to assimilate. And i'm sure that our egotistical, and ethnocentric country will find a way to kill this verision of the Star Spangled Banner in the end. Because heaven forbid someone put their OWN twist on a song. Despite the fact that we have put our own twists on many important songs in our country's history. Like Amazing grace, we all know that song. And we all think it's some song about the Lord some of us worship. When it fact that song was wrote by a slave master in reference to slavery. So you know what, I think I can be just a little tolerant of someone taking another important, probably the most important song in this country, and putting their own twist on it.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MorganaDrake said:
You have your Native Americans that we've shoved onto reservations. You have your little ethnic neighborhoods...the Chinese here, the Italians here, etc...and then you have neighborhoods that are white or black. To see a mix of ethnic backgrounds in a neighborhood is still something that occurs in the minority. I grew up in a neighborhood that was all white, when I moved out of that neighborhood last year it was all hispanic.

Because heaven forbid someone put their OWN twist on a song. Despite the fact that we have put our own twists on many important songs in our country's history. Like Amazing grace, we all know that song.

And we all think it's some song about the Lord some of us worship. When it fact that song was wrote by a slave master in reference to slavery.

First off, and a prime example, of liberal guilt to somehow appease Native Americans... they should of been anniliated or completely assimilated. The reservations was the worse thing we could of done. We went againts 10's of thousands of years of human history.... races, creeds, religions, et al have overttaken others foroever.. INCLUDING Native Americans... some tribes were FAR more savage and vicious than even the crusaders amongst other tribes.. you DO KNOW THAT right:? Sorry, this Earth of 100% serpentine peace is folly... it's in our genes...

"Put their own twist on a song"... wow. I guess some things aren't sacred. Guessing you yell at the TV when some John Lennon song appears in a commericial for some auto-maker.... better yet, ...how about "big oil" instead.... screaming about the sacrilige of what's been done. Thought so....

And your last point, I can see you are anti-religion, morever, anti-Christian for America. Yet.. I can safely guess that despite all your rhetoric.. if a Koran fell out of the sky, you'd call on the EPA to make sure no micro pollutants were within the vicinity of it, so as to be Seeeeeeeeeeeeensitive to islamo-fascists. Laughable. Amazing Grace... wow... why do you hate the country you live in so much? Seriously. Guessing you seem to find more fault in traditional song (i.e. Amazing Grace) during a Bush administration, than you would a Clinton administration... dont' answer that.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
faceking said:
First off, and a prime example, of liberal guilt to somehow appease Native Americans... they should of been anniliated or completely assimilated. The reservations was the worse thing we could of done. We went againts 10's of thousands of years of human history.... races, creeds, religions, et al have overttaken others foroever.. INCLUDING Native Americans... some tribes were FAR more savage and vicious than even the crusaders amongst other tribes.. you DO KNOW THAT right:? Sorry, this Earth of 100% serpentine peace is folly... it's in our genes...

"Put their own twist on a song"... wow. I guess some things aren't sacred. Guessing you yell at the TV when some John Lennon song appears in a commericial for some auto-maker.... better yet, ...how about "big oil" instead.... screaming about the sacrilige of what's been done. Thought so....

And your last point, I can see you are anti-religion, morever, anti-Christian for America. Yet.. I can safely guess that despite all your rhetoric.. if a Koran fell out of the sky, you'd call on the EPA to make sure no micro pollutants were within the vicinity of it, so as to be Seeeeeeeeeeeeensitive to islamo-fascists. Laughable. Amazing Grace... wow... why do you hate the country you live in so much? Seriously. Guessing you seem to find more fault in traditional song (i.e. Amazing Grace) during a Bush administration, than you would a Clinton administration... dont' answer that.
Thanks for this, the whole post is a genuine work of art.

Perhaps you could learn to spell, learn the difference between "have" and "of" before you attempt to insult the reasoning capacity of others, and perhaps even grow some scruples instead of scorning people with accusations of lib guilt when it's clear we're only talking about accountability.

However, I believe you do represent the majority, and that makes me physically ill.

MorganaDrake

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm not stupid Faceking. I however don't talk about ethnic groups that I am not properly informed about. I talk about the ones I am adequately informed about. For example, the native americans. Native American studies is a passion of mine and I have spent time working on reservations. I have talked to the people on those reservations. And you know what, my great grandfatehr was born on a reservation. The rest of my family came over from Germany, Poland and Scotland. However, I'm not sure that any of this matters to you. With that being said, all of the points i made were just as valid as anyone elses and I stand behind them 100%.

As for me being anti-relgion, i suggest you get to know me before making an assumption. I do, in fact, study many religions and I choose to follow beliefs which are not in the mainstream. But my religious beliefs don't play a role here in any way, shape or form.

And you ask why I hate this country so much...the truth is I don't, but I choose NOT to live a life ignoring the history of THIS country which was at times nothing short of atrocious. Slavery, the treatment of the Native Americans, and the treatment of pretty much any group that has ever come over here hasn't exactly been all nice. And I choose to feel some sort of sympathy for those people that throughout this country's history has gone through hell. If you don't like it, tough. The bottom line is that many of those people are still living lives less than desirable because of things this country has done to them. You may choose to just throw all that away, but I choose not to. I choose to acknowledge the history of this country, both good and bad, and then I chose to factor that into my thinking about the Star Spangled Banner. While I also factored in things I learned in my Urban Sociology, African American history and literature classes, and also my Native American Studies classes. If you don't like it. Shove it. I may be young but I far from naive and I won't be talked down to by you or anyone else. Respect me and I'll respect you. Hell, I'll respect you from the get go and will continue to respect you if the respect is returned. In closing, I will say it again, I stand behind my opinion 100%.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
madame_zora said:
Thanks for this, the whole post is a genuine work of art.

Perhaps you could learn to spell, learn the difference between "have" and "of" before you attempt to insult the reasoning capacity of others, and perhaps even grow some scruples instead of scorning people with accusations of lib guilt when it's clear we're only talking about accountability.

However, I believe you do represent the majority, and that makes me physically ill.
Wow... always/thought and considered the assumption of thread posting especially amongst the college educated was not to nickel and dime on spelling and grammar... figured you were better than that... lest we pull posts by M_Zora... and arrive at all theory she desposes as complete folly, because she has ... given the haste of debate, chosen the wrong possessive tense, or antonym that's not properly polar of position.

I don't represent the majority.... the majority is mainstream media (CBS, NBC, NPR, ABC, CNN)... and what they feed the mininions as to what they should be concerened about.... or laud... which I've never seen Rather or Couric laud "Buscho" for an unprecidented appointment of minorities (e.g. Tsai, Rice, Powell).... who knew/thought... it's supposed to be Dems.. the same Dems who were against the Civil Right legislations in the 60s. ;-)

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Why do we focus on the fluff, but not the substance? Does it really matter if someone translated the national anthem into Spanish or the Mexican, Guatamalan, or Honduran national anthems into English?

We have 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States, and they all haven't shown up in the last month. I'm grateful I live in a country that attractive enough for them to come, but where has the immigration policy been to keep them out or to let them in legallly?

Take care

Ceg

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MorganaDrake said:
Hell, I'll respect you from the get go and will continue to respect you if the respect is returned. In closing, I will say it again, I stand behind my opinion 100%.

Agreed... so long as we are educated on our thought, and subjective as to our sources.... which we are all at fault for.... but should at least be wary of. Then a civil debate is healthy and productive.

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
madame_zora said:
We come to a continent, disrupt their entire social structure, kill them with our diseases, murder the rest, import slaves, all in the name of "freedom", but only for white landowners THEN insist that OUR language THAT WE BROUGHT WITH US FROM FUCKING ENGLAND is the "native language" that everyone ELSE coming here must speak.

I dont remember doing any of that

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ceg1526 said:
Why do we focus on the fluff, but not the substance? Does it really matter if someone translated the national anthem into Spanish or the Mexican, Guatamalan, or Honduran national anthems into English?

We have 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States, and they all haven't shown up in the last month. I'm grateful I live in a country that attractive enough for them to come, but where has the immigration policy been to keep them out or to let them in legallly?

Take care

Ceg

The best part of this.. word is.... not sweeping reform.....

But ENFORCEMENT of the exisitng law... pluck these leeches one by one, more than they've done.... all it take is more $$$ into existing enforcement... that's the best part of it... and even better (like abortion laws)... is it's all state run... look at what Arizona and Texas are doing... and all the undocumented abuse from Border Patrol agents in California and New Mexico that's now cropping up.. talk about a modern day La Llororna. Nighty night le migre...

The Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping ghost of the Southwest... your long flowing black hair ....

azladd

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think the National Anthem edited and redone in spanish is an insult, simply because they chose not to make the same sacrifices for social, economical, and governmental reform in their own country. Copy it, imitate it, edit it. No matter what they do to it, the Star Spangled Banner will never be theirs until they truly embrace America and the sacrifices that were made to bring forth this country...as other immigrants did in the past.
Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907