The Starbucks Supremacy

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by midlifebear, Dec 27, 2010.

?

What's your opinion about Starbuck's names for the size of their coffees?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2011.
  1. The venti, grande, tall options tend to confuses me.

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. The venti, grande, and tall options irritate me as being too pretentious.

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. Asking for a venti or grand makes me feel "continental!"

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. It's a non issue for me.

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Don't know about most folks, but one of the small things in life that irks me is being forced to ask for a venti, grande, or tall when ordering coffee at Starbucks. I usually cause trouble by asking, "Which one is a small?"

Buenos Aires is now the home of at least 5 Starbucks and the uniqueness has yet to wear off. However, the sizes of their drinks are clearly advertised next to the cashier as "small", "medium", and "large." None of the venti or grande crap they force 'Mericuhns and Canadians to suffer. Of course, it's a bit of a strain on the people of Buenos Aires, the majority of whom do not speak English. But finally! Drink sizes I can easily understand.

Oh, and the WiFi is free. Free! Most cafes offer free Wifi so the idea of charging for WiFi service would definitely keep most folks away down her in "the Paris of the South."

What do you think of Starbucks' names for the size of their coffees?

Vote early and often.

#1 midlifebear, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I buck the system when I go to Starbucks... I ask for a small, medium or large... the baristas still treat me like a Star.

3. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I do the same as nudeyorker - I ask for small, medium or large.

I'm not a big Starbucks person as I feel they are taking over the world, so I'm a Timmie's fan (Tim Horton's coffee).

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, Nudey, you ARE a star. But in Buenos Aires, the one time you're assured of incredible service and courtesy just short of being a bit too obsequious is when you walk into any restaurant or cafe for a nothing more than a cup of coffee, whether it's the cheapest beverage available or not. It's a major production. Waiters bring your coffee, cafe con leche, or tiny jarrita (about three sips of black nail your eyes wide coffee) always accompanied by a small glass of mineral water (for rinsing your teeth) and a couple of small cookies, a bit of brownie, or apple tort. And most people in BsAS do not tip. However, cafes are probably the few places you're going to be treated as if you are royalty. Negotiating the streets as a regular pedestrian is much worse than plying the sidewalks of New York City. We blame the general crankiness on the heat and humidtiy -- even in the winter.

By the way, I voted for pretentious.

Edit: and La
    femme, I prefer to buy the strongest Brazilian coffee available in most stores, Cabrales, and avoid Starbucks. But I do like their Sumatra beans. So I occasionally splurge on a half kilo of Sumatra and sneak it home. And I agree, there are far too many Starbucks in the world.

#4 midlifebear, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Venti black shaken tea, unsweetened, uncut, no ice" is a mouthful when alls you really want in a plastic cup of tepid black tea, but their various "loaves" are to die for.

Within a ten-minute walk from my house I have a choice of Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts and a gay owned/operated coffee shop. Starbucks makes the best tea, DD has the best muffins (but the decor is unspeakable and the staff all seem like they get rides to work from a half-way house via their parole officer) and the indie place has the best atmosphere (but their tea is terrible and the staff is horribly fey).

I usually just stay home and make it myself.

6. Opalite

Gold Member

I usually just ask for a 'small', those names just seem a bit silly to me and pretentious. Here in the Netherlands, Starbucks is still quite new'ish (I think there are about 5 here too) and the boys and girls behind the counter usually get the venti/grande/tall sizes mixed up still, so ordering using those is particularly risky as well.

Another fun fact is that they make their personel speak english. all day, everyday. Which is an hillarious scene to watch, seeing most Dutchies do not speak any other languages and the accent very prominent.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

*makes note to self to visit Buenos Aires soon* I have not been there in years but loved it when I was visiting. BTW I really only visit Starbucks in airports or if I'm going in for an overhaul at the beauty salon. There are so many nice places in the world to have a cup of coffee and a small little bite to eat.

8. crescendo69

Gold Member

Starbucks coffee tastes "burnt" to me, even with cream and sweetener, so I don't frequent the cafe. Maybe if/when I ever get into WiFi..

Whenever I order coffee at any cafe (they are almost all pretentious), I ask for the "smallest" size they have. That adjective will usually discourage the snotty little corrections so often offered by the staff.

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

10. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I usually say "Whatever a <x> is." They usually tell me whether it is Venti or Grande or whatever, but I never really commit it to memory. I don't drink coffee much, so it's usually a non issue.

11. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I generally do not go to Starbucks for a regular cup of Joe- but I must say that I have a weakness for the Pumpkin Spice Latte...:redface:

12. D_John Handcock

D_John Handcock Account Disabled

Albums:
    Starbucks coffee sucks ass! Support your local coffee houses(the mom and pop shops)...

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Starbucks coffee simply sucks. Perhaps the worst cup of coffee out there. I am a coffee drinker. I like Seattles Best ( Borders Book Store) is much better. Starbucks is laced with something. Who knows what else is in it? Perhaps cat urine?

14. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Never been to Starbucks, but then I'm more of a tea drinker, and we don't have one here anyway. Those loaves sound nice tho...

I do get confused by all the coffee names tho - I'd only want a flat white or a decaff. The ex came here last week and made me order her a skinny latte which I felt slightly embarrassed about. :/

15. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I tend to agree, but at an airport it's still better than what you get on a flight. I usually order the Super Sized iced tea. The coffee I brew at home is Kirkland brand from Costco, it's delicious and it's half the price of a pound of coffee at Starfucks!

16. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Mind controlling agents, it must be how they keep their customers.

17. Opalite

Gold Member

I wouldn't know, I'm really more a tea drinker. When I come to think of it, even the tea is that great.. but if I don't get it atleast every 36 hours I do start to twitch.. but I'm sure that's really just a coincedence.. isnt it? :')

18. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ It must be. Tea's harmless and lovely, and we couldn't possibly be addicted, could we? :p

19. Opalite

Gold Member

Sorry, I didn't quite follow.. The kettle was ringing. Oh boy, I sure love tea.

20. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I see your point D. I know people who love Starbucks and they say the quality has gone downhill. If they have a Borders in your area stop in and try Seattles Best. It's a great cup of coffee. I love Borders. It's Wi- Fi. You can sit and read. The customer service is great. The other night my wife and i stopped in and they had a jazz band playing live. They have all the fancy drinks and pastry ect that Starbucks has. They also love animals. This year they had the local ASPCA to come in too get donations for animals. Done with class. A little table at the front of store. A little cage with the most adorable kittens. Oh how i filled that donation bucket. I wanted to take all of then home. Their price for a medium cup of coffee is $1.98 .

Draft saved Draft deleted