The State of Political Dissent in America

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Yet he is still not yet charged with any crime and may not be. To bring this man before a court could seriously damage the campus police image if he is found not guilty. A not guilty verdict could also be used against them in a civil suit. The university doesn't want to risk the backlash of an unsuccessful prosecution. If the DA is so certain of the right and legal action of the police force then charges would have been filed by now.

If Meyer has committed no crime then there is no reason for any use of force to occur. Police restraint and force are not warranted where no crime has occurred. To exonerate the police in using force when no charges have been brought is putting the cart before the horse. To do so tells the police to do whatever they want whenever they want even if they have no reasonable suspicion that a crime is occurring.

The paper neglects to say why charges have not been filed nor did they interview anyone. They simply published a report, published by a state entity, that exonerates the police officers' use of force without investigating why charges have not yet been brought against Meyer. Instead they simply say, "some have questioned the use of force..." The article is written from a pro-police stance as it only presents one side to the story.

This is why you have to watch media very carefully and critically.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dredging up an old thread because of new information so don't tase me, bro.

University Of Florida Police Cleared In Use Of Taser On Student

It looks like several campus cops' restraint and the use of a stun gun on the guy was just A-OK after all according to a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation.

Full report:

http://www.wftv.com/download/2007/1024/14414374.pdf

I didn't want to download the full report, so I read your first link. I'm shocked to see them saying that one officer tried his taser, and it malfunctioned, so another officer gave one 5-second shot to bring him down. From what I could see in the video, he was already down when he got zapped, and there were at least 3 zaps, probably longer than 5 seconds. Amazing.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
From watching the Video I can see why they cut his mic. He was asked to stop and step away, but I also note that in political discussions people can get very heated but from where he currently was he was in no way making threats or advancing.

All in all I think that physical restraint and tazering was way to far, but I’m also one of those crazy people who believe in free speech and all that crazy jazz.

(Also, on the note about the applauding of the removal of him, it makes sense that the audience would want someone who seems to be irritating to shut up but just moments later you heard crys and outrage from students who may have been happy moments ago that his mic was shut off)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Did anyone else see the parade of idiots on Bill Maher's last show? Bunch of shouting conspiracy loons infiltrated his audience and had to be taken out by security one at a time. Screaming like an asshole within earshot of any camera crew doesn't make your cause look credible.

As for the police exoneration... pretty typical. The justice and law enforcement systems are too closely intertwined in this country, and the LE agencies themselves are all about protecting their own at any cost. The Internal Affairs guys are despised and marginalized and it's not easy for them to do their jobs.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Did anyone else see the parade of idiots on Bill Maher's last show? Bunch of shouting conspiracy loons infiltrated his audience and had to be taken out by security one at a time. Screaming like an asshole within earshot of any camera crew doesn't make your cause look credible.

You mean this, YouTube - 911 TRUTHERS INFILTRATE BILL MAHER AUDIENCE :smile:

Ahh, I love how the people are hard to hear because they don't have mics.

How many crazys do we have? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That report does smell like an internal law enforcement whitewash of the campus cops' over-reaction. Anyone can see the guy had been completely subdued prior to the taser.

Perhaps a more substantial story than that cheesy local TV news link will surface and someone can post it.