The Sulcus:

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Vagus, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Vagus

Vagus New Member

To be clear does this refer to a part of the glans or part of the inner-foreskin?

2. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Both or neither. That's a bit like asking whether the equator is in the northern or southern hemisphere. The sulcus is the groove between them, so it's more of a geometric effect than "part" of anything.

3. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I'm no doctor, but if I remember it correctly from school...to simplify it, the penis is made
    up of the GLANS (bulbous head), the SHAFT NECK, the SHAFT, and the SHAFT BASE at the pubes.

The GLANS (head) includes the "meatus" which is the opening to the urethra from which we pee, etc....the "sulcus" is at the base of the glans where the deep grove begins
    under the base of the glans...and where the "neck" of the penis begins at the shaft.

If I also remember it correctly, the foreskin (before being cut) is part of the shaft skin
    that moves and stretches over and covering the glans...and is attached at the frenulum
    under the meatus. This extra, or lose skin, when cut leaves the shaft, neck, and glans
    uncovered. Sometimes the frenulum is cut and sometimes it is kept in tact.

But I may be wrong.....but I hope not...

I was cut as an infant but my frenulum was left intact.

#3 silvertriumph2, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. mandoman

Gold Member

There is no 'extra' skin on a penis.
    It's all there because it has evolved that way, because it benefits.

5. Vagus

Vagus New Member

I think Silvertriumph2 said that it's part of the mucus membrane of the glans, not the skin behind it. But I'm not sure.

6. SirConcis

Gold Member

Albums:
    The sulcus is the base of the glans where the inner foreksin is attached. It sometimes also refers to the general area. For instance, some medical books would state that smegma will accumulate at the sulcus, refering to the general area near the sulcus where there is usually some spare skin.

(for those who were snipped at birth, a foreskin oftens/generally leaves some fold behind the sulcus when you push it forwards. More on some guys than others, and this also often dictates length of foreskin since some foreskin is "stored" behind the sulcus. This creates a "cavern" where smegma accumulates.

An uncut guy can pull his foreksin outwards to cause that "stored" foreksin to extend over the head, making the foreskin appear longer. (and this reduces the "cavern" behind the sulcus to a bare minimum.)

7. Vagus

Vagus New Member

I just want to be clear because the inner foreskin mucosa and the glans corona are two very different tissues.

8. Silvertip

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My dictionary says:
    sulcus |ˈsəlkəs|
    noun ( pl. sulci |ˈsəlˌsī; -ˌsē|) Anatomy
    a groove or furrow, esp. one on the surface of the brain.

Wikipedia says:
    Sulcus (plural sulci) may refer to:
    Sulcus (anatomy), grooves, crevices, and furrows in medicine, botany, and zoology

I take that to mean that a penile sulcus is the groove running between the piss slit and the frenulum as seen on my own penis in the attached images.

Attached Files:

• 252.jpg
      252.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
    • 253.jpg
      253.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • 254.jpg
      254.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
  9. baldyboy8000

baldyboy8000 Member

...and I am just the opposite, my frenuleum was clipped and my foreskin was left alone.

10. D_Crystallized Ginger

whats your minimum diameter just at the "sulcus" when your penis is erect? mine is 3,7 cm whereas my midshaft girth is 4,7 cm (there is a difference of 1 cm!) all measurements are taken using a caliper not random things :D

11. samsuncut

samsuncut New Member

The sulcus is the groove behind the corona of the glans, so since it's a groove, it's really neither part of the foreskin or the glans.

When an uncircumcised guy has his foreskin pulled back all the way, the sulcus is the clearly defined space between the bunched up foreskin and the corona of the glans.

12. erratic

Gold Member

Snozzle and sam hit the nail on the head. It's where your glans and your foreskin meet.

13. Vagus

Vagus New Member

Responding to snozzle, sam and erratic. Then I think it would mean that it's both the coronal ridge of the glans and the inner foreskin, where they meet. As opposed to one tissue it's a junction point. But I bet this is debatable :p

14. erratic

Gold Member

We make lots of arbitrary distinctions about where "parts" of the body begin and end, when they're all one big gooey mass in the end.
    Either way, the coronal sulcus is one of life's great pleasures. ;P

15. SirConcis

Gold Member

Albums:
    The sulcus is more of a region than a body part. So it isn't clearly deliniated with dotted lines. It is the "cliff" formed by the coronna of the glans that you would have to jump down if you wanted to land on the inner foreksin.

Similarly, there is no clear deliniation between shaft skin and foreksin. For the uncircumcised, there is a region where the shaft skin morphs into the inner foreksin. For some males it is a gradual fading of colour, for others, it appears more abrupt.

And the amount of foreskin a male has varies depending on state of penis. An uncircumcised male may have no foreskin when erect, and have plenty when in a cold pool. Some males still have foreksin when erect until they retract it.

The only time a deiniation is made on the foreksin is during a circumcision where the doctor makes a semi-arbritatry decision on where to draw the line where the circ is to be done.

16. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That may be described as "a sulcus" but it is not what is usually described as "the sulcus". Yours is in fact an artifect of your circumcision, which has removed much of your frenulum, and few if any intact men have a groove there because the frenulum fills it up.

#16 Snozzle, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted