The Supreme Court After Stevens?

D

deleted3782

John Paul Stevens is the United States Supreme Court’s senior Justice, soon to turn 90. He is thirteen years older than his closest colleague in age (Ginsburg) and has served the fourth longest term of a Supreme Court Justice in American history, having been appointed in 1975 by President Gerald R. Ford.

Though he was appointed by a Republican president, he has increasingly leaned left in recent years. Long considered a centrist, he has increasingly been identified as a leader among the "progressive" block that includes Ginsburg, Breyer, and Sotomayor. Asked the cause for this rift, and Stevens suggests that the conservative element of the court has drifted further right (and even to an activist right...ie: the Roberts court's recent ruling on corporate campaign spending).

You can read more about Stevens here.

He seems to be on the verge of retirement...in which case this pivotal justice will be replaced by an Obama appointee. What do you think the loss of Steven's leadership and perspective will mean for the progressive side of the court? What will it mean for the court's conservative interests?

Do you think Obama will appoint another woman (currently only 2 of the 9 justices are female)? An African American (currently only 1 of the 9 is African American), or a protestant (currently 2 justices are Jewish and six are Roman Catholic)?

Do you think the public will lose faith with the court if it becomes further polarized, activist, or political? The court of the only branch of the US federal government that is not elected by citizens...does that leave it vulnerable to a popular revolt?

justasimpleguy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wish one of the 5 conservatives who seem to enjoy their 5-4 majorities so much would retire. Maybe Clarence Thomas can fuck off now that his wife has started a Tea Party PAC. I just don't get why anyone would want people who don't believe that government works running the government. And they get pissed about it being a mess, surprise fucking surprise.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Stevens will be missed when he hangs up his robe. However, what is more alarming is this "new" christianist revisionist view of judicial history, insisting that upholding decisions regarding the separation of church and state, was started by "activist" judges dating as far back as the 1700's. This, in my high dudgeon opinion, is something that needs to be peeled back and shown for what it is: christianists trying to rewrite history to meet their belief system, and purposefully abrogate the rights and liberties of others.

It isn't the "homosexual agenda" that is a threat to free thinking in the USA, it's the "christianist agenda" that is the real danger. But, of course, they claim to have Jesus of Nazareth on their side. And if he were alive today and preached to them they were wrong, they'd crucify him just to make a point.

It isn't the "homosexual agenda" that is a threat to free thinking in the USA, it's the "christianist agenda" that is the real danger. But, of course, they claim to have Jesus of Nazareth on their side. And if he were alive today and preached to them they were wrong, they'd crucify him just to make a point.

I agree 100%. I've been saying that last line ever since I got baptized back in '05. It reminds me of something I recently read regarding Jews and Jesus. Pretty interesting read, I must say.

"But the religious leaders, jealous of His popularity and power and enraged because Yeshua was calling these self-righteous leaders to repentance, decided to kill Him."

DISCLAIMER: No offense to anyone of the Jewish faith! :wink:

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
He seems to be on the verge of retirement.........or death. I know a few 90 yo people and not one of them should be working full time and i doubt that this guy is the exception to the rule. If you could get long dong silver and his teaparty queen to retire, Clarence Tomas and wife, that might be a good thing.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
One can guarantee the scheming and back room deals being made right now by various special interests including the "christian right" and "big business" in order to get a justice who will "rubber stamp" their viewpoints.

Based on the troubles of and background of Clarence Thomas who never should have even been considered for appointment, let alone seated, it will be "interesting" (to say the least) to see who the lunatic ultra conservatives try and get.

If I can predict what Obama will do, he will probably as always try to appoint a "moderate" to satisfy the Republicans. The Republicans will scream bloody murder because whomever it is it will be waaaaayyyyy too liberal. In truth, they will be laughing behind his back, because they will get a person that is maybe not exactly what they want, but, based on the fact that Obama is a spineless "wuss" and will negotiate everything down to nothing and then think he won something is exactly what they want and the Conservatives will win.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Edit (it was good stuff, go read it)
. . . they [Republicans] will get a person that is maybe not exactly what they want, but, based on the fact that Obama is a spineless "wuss" and will negotiate everything down to nothing and then think he won something is exactly what they want and the Conservatives will win.

If we could only put that evil talent of the current GOP to some good for the Light Side, say . . . helping all of us negotiate fair low-price deals with the sales force at a car lot on a new automobile! :wink:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If we could only put that evil talent of the current GOP to some good for the Light Side, say . . . helping all of us negotiate fair low-price deals with the sales force at a car lot on a new automobile! :wink:

I think that would create a ripple in The Force, a tear in the fabric of sanity, A Wrinkle in Time, a clarion call to Gozer.....

D

deleted3782

One can guarantee the scheming and back room deals being made right now...

If I can predict what Obama will do...

The buzz seems to be around Elena Kagan...

This is a noteable era in the history of the court, with two justices appointed in 2005, Sotomayor in 2009, and now perhaps one more in 2010.

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
He may have been appointed by Gerald Ford, but after he's gone his tenure will mark him as a dues-paying member of the liberal wing of the court. He's rarely been the "flipper" in any 5-4 decisions. I don't see how one calls him a centrist unless you define it from a purely liberal perspective.

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
He may have been appointed by Gerald Ford, but after he's gone his tenure will mark him as a dues-paying member of the liberal wing of the court. He's rarely been the "flipper" in any 5-4 decisions. I don't see how one calls him a centrist unless you define it from a purely liberal perspective.

It is entirely possible that Stevens' views have remained the same over his tenure, and that the Right has moved further right, and the Left have moved further Left in an increasing divide of ideals.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
It is entirely possible that Stevens' views have remained the same over his tenure, and that the Right has moved further right, and the Left have moved further Left in an increasing divide of ideals.

The left of the 60's was about as far left as it gets, since Reagan, the right has tacked hard to port, making Nixon, and even Goldwater look mainstream. This is the only reason Stevens seems liberal.

To echo earlier sentiments: Wouldn't it be an even better irony, if President Clinton were appointed to the Court?

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

That's a theoretical possibility, but even the OP states in his words that Stevens has moved further to the left during his time on the Court. So I don't think the direction of his sails is in question.

D

deleted3782

To echo earlier sentiments: Wouldn't it be an even better irony, if President Clinton were appointed to the Court?

Ironic, and not even unprecedented (Taft)...but highly unlikely!

But still...an interesting thought! :rolleyes: