Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stevens is most likely retiring...he only hired two law clerks for the 10-11 yr.

when they retire they often occasionally sit and rule on lower federal court cases. That's probably what he'll do.

Talk is that Elana Kegan (I think that's how you spell it) the Attorney or Soliciter General will be nominated...either her or some other chic who is a proffessor at Univ. of Chicago with him. Either way its highly likely it'll be a female. He could always nominate Doug Gansler...MD's Attorney General who proudly stood behind gay marriage in his ordered report a month ago. I'm proud of him.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Ironic, and not even unprecedented (Taft)...but highly unlikely!

But still...an interesting thought! :rolleyes:

Totally unlikely, but a funny potential turn of events.

It will be interesting to see whom Obama nominates; when Stevens does step down. What will be even more interesting to see is if Congress will force the Court to allow televised coverage of cases. I can only imagine America's reaction to Scalia's vitriol unexpurgated.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes I watched 'west wing'. Its both weird and fascinating looking at this debate about people who may make a significant difference to how US law works. I heard one of the justices being interviewed on BBC radio a few years ago. He seemed sensible, if firm in his views.

Maybe the difficulties over the supreme court reflect severe divisions in US society?

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I would be very surprised if Stevens stayed on. Here's Why:

1) He has only hired 2 law clerks for the next court year- the number that retired justices are allowed to hire. At his age, the reason for this cannot be that he wants to do most of the research himself!

2) Stevens probably wants another liberal jurist to succeed him on the bench. That can only happen if a liberal President (Obama) nominates someone approved by a democratic majority Senate (57 votes and 2 independents). One of these two situations (the senate composition) might change in November.

So for Stevens this is the best time to go.