The Supreme Court gets it wrong

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KimJong, Jun 29, 2009.

1. KimJong

KimJong New Member

Awww th poor white firefighters were discriminated against??? I think not. What type of weird decision is this? How many minorities are there in Conn. anyways? come on this just sets a bad example for the rest of the country that actually has problems such as Texas, Florida, Miss., and areas around New Orleans.
    It was a weird decision, very pointless, and does nothing to further along progress in America.
    The Supreme Court gets it wrong this time along with some other cases such as the Exon Valdez case amungst others.
    Hopefully some of those white fools along with that dumb ass black judge who votes against civil rights get bumpe off the court.
    The court needs to be much more multicultural. I welcome Sotomayor, and there needs to be a REAL black judge, not a fake @ss republican one.
    P.S. I am a white male

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Both sides of the argument make valid statements, even though I tend to favor institutions that not only focus on hiring the best talent but also pay attention to diversity of the workplace. It's a hard balance because either side is bound to complain.

IMO, I think a public workplace should be as diverse as the population it represents (or at least close to it). We can use Census data based on state and/or city calculations, and encourage employers to have a employee roster that mimics it.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

i liked that Clarence was the only desenting judge on the question should you make a 13yo take all her clothes for a strip search over asprin at school, the rest of them said no but not long dong silver. Who said Miss Anita was lying?

4. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    I think progress is the result of ability instead of color preference

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Either way... it is a definite wrench thrown in the process and gives serious ammunition to her detractors.

The fucking case is ridiculous, it has always seemed like a joke to me. Nobody can see what was in the test anymore which is pure bullshit. Can we bnot see if the test was biased or not? Of course not... because then the case wouldn't be a fucking sick joke.

How the fuck do you make a firefighting test that is preferential to whites?

You can't unless you deliberately design it that way.

What the hell is racial about firefighting?

Not a damn thing... the case was a set up and Sotomayor fell for it hook line and sinker.

She let her pride get in the way of saving her ass.

She's fucked and will be withdrawn I do believe.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I disagree, the Ricci decision was widely predicted to be overturned. It will make some interesting questioning during her confirmation hearings, but she will be ultimately confirmed.

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Obama administration expected this? That's confusing... :confused:

8. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    While this will give some ammunition to Sotomayor's detractors, I don't think it will cause much of a ruckus, and she will eventually be confirmed.

9. BiggerInTexas8

BiggerInTexas8 New Member

hahahahahaha LMAO

10. FantomX

FantomX Active Member

How is the test biased? Latinos also passed the test. If you were in charge of a company, would you rather hire/promote the best suited for the job or someone the gov't forces you to hire/promote? Black, white, green... I don't care what color you are. If there is someone better suited for the position, they deserve the job more.

11. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Here is A short explanation of cultural bias on standardized tests. It exists:

The Arena - Politico's daily debate with policymakers and opinion shapers | POLITICO.com
    Linda Sanchez, Rep. (D-Calif.):

On the Ricci decision: "Buried in all the 'reverse racism' attacks Republicans are trying to cultivate is the fact that the promotion tests were flawed. The regatta question is nothing new in decades of critique of cultural bias. In fact, until recently, the SAT continued to use items about polo mallets, lacrosse, and regattas. How likely is a poor kid from the inner city to spend his or her weekend attending a regatta? I'll never forget taking one standardized test and being asked a question where the correct answer was; church: silence. Growing up on the west coast and attending masses where mariachi music filled the room, my church was anything but silent. Culturally-loaded tests don't reveal career potential but rather socio-economic class and background. No one should be surprised then when a city decides to throw out a test because only one type of person was able to pass......

12. FantomX

FantomX Active Member

That is truly a lame excuse... I never grew up around polo or lacrosse, but just because I am able to actually study for a test and prepare myself for it has nothing to do with what my race or socio-economic class.

#12 FantomX, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  13. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I have seen the local fire fighters supervisor exam. Their is nothing in it that is remotely racely biased. It is all math calculations, and straight forward questions. If you can't pass it, you don't deserve the job. Now, we do have minority supervisors among the leadership. Is it because they studied, and they can read and write a properly structured sentence?

14. sargon20

Gold Member

Nope. Not at all.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Is there a link to this anywhere? I'm curious to see what the questions were like as well.

16. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:

Very good observation, VinylBoy. NO, no one qualified for a job promotion should be passed over or not promoted because of fears of challenges to the promotions (which in essence is what happened). It was highly unfair to those qualified white firefighters, and I agree with that position.

From what I understand, blacks and Hispanics passed the test also. In fact the number of minorities who passed almost equalled the number of white firefighters who passed. The article went on to say, however, that of the 40 non-white firefighters who passed, only two Hispanics could expect promotion (along with 17 whites). There was no explanation as to why those particular numbers.

This is where, I would think, other criteria (including as VinylBoy suggested, a desire for cultural diversity) should come into play when considering such promotions. The test should not be the only standard for such consideration.

Nor should a desire for diversity be an impediment for one deserving of advancement. A difficult balance to attain, to be sure, but not impossible.

17. D_Bob_Crotchitch

I've only seen the actual tests. I helped one man study for it. It has questions like figuring water pressure, distance, psi, things of this nature.

18. D_Bob_Crotchitch

We will never reach the goal of Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream until all people are considered on the basis of their abilities and not on race, age, gender, religion or creed.
    If we go to percentage based systems, minority candidates who are the most qualified might not be hired simply because they had to hire someone else to fill a quota.
    I believe the best qualified person should receive the promotion. I don't care if you have 3 eyes in the middle of your forehead, and your daddy was Vulcan, I want the best person.

19. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is indeed a dream, still, that we should ever strive to attain. To be neither advanced on the basis of the above, nor overlooked.

20. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

I think you might be able to make an argument that a teacher position should have more diversity.

I want the best firefighter based on objective tests. A single mistake would be horrific. Same with MDs.

Draft saved Draft deleted