The Swiss Minaret Ban

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Mister Buildington, Nov 29, 2009.

1. B_Mister Buildington

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has posted about this, because it seems to be pretty big news.

"GENEVA — In a vote that displayed a widespread anxiety about Islam and undermined the country’s reputation for religious tolerance, the Swiss on Sunday overwhelmingly imposed a national ban on the construction of minarets, the prayer towers of mosques, in a referendum drawn up by the far right and opposed by the government."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/world/europe/30swiss.html

Switzerland has long been thought of as a bastion of world progressiveness. What do you make of make of this decision?

Any Muslims want to weigh in?

2. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    I would suggest that Muslims in Europe live by Europeans values and laws. Sharia law is not compatible with European democracy. Free speech is one of our most sacred ideals. Basic human rights, especially for women and the gay community are not negotiable.
    There has been alot of conflicting news about Islam in Europe. I'd point you towards that clip as a start, though it reflects a fundamentalist Islam that many probably moved to Europe to escape.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7T5fbJbq0

This is Islam as it's practiced in much of the Middle East.
    Al Jazeera English - CENTRAL/S. ASIA - Abused Afghan women opt for suicide
    Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Ending female abuse in Jordan

Decide for yourselves if you want that in Europe.

3. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Regardless of whatever your opinions on opposing religious freedom (^up there^), the ban on minarets is a weird one. I saw this today and was confused. I guess there's some symbolism in minarets that I'm missing.

Then again, we in the united states regularly attack nativity scenes, even on private property so who cares, really?

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I heard that they felt that Minarets were a symbol of Islamic power. I trust they will be pulling down the Church spires and towers next.

5. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...and taking the cross off their flag.

6. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I would have no problems with complete religious freedom as soon as any church or religious organization is allowed to operate freely and build there own sanctuaries in Saudia Arabia and and neighboring countries. One sided freedom is naive.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    So is an eye for an eye. We are to lower ourselves to the (perceived) level of our rivals for what? To teach them a lesson? I find this to be a very immature way of thinking.

8. superbot

Gold Member

Good for the Swiss!...

9. Scot22

Scot22 New Member

justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy----thanks for the above YouTube clip. I'm British,and have learnt more re the Muslim activists in my country from the above news report,than I have over the last few years from our hitherto illustrious BBC news reports.

Oh! If our politicians would only tell us how it really is,rather than repeating the political correctness of their respective political leaders and advisers.
    Their defence,when challenged, is they do not wish to antagonise moderate Muslims within our borders.These moderate Muslims however,still follow the teachings of the Quoran viz.----stoning to death of adulteresses,gays and other non-conformists,etc. A position diametrically opposite to what you,we, and I believe in a democratic society.
    Thanks again for the above YT clip.Literally an 'eye-opener' to hear about the threat from a reliable source.

justasimpleguy

10. eurotop40

Gold Member

Exactly. But Switzerland is a christian country, so the churches are safe.

11. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just like with Free Trade buddy - Freedom in only one direction leads to significant philisophical and geopolitical "deficits" that have caused many wars since the beginning of time. Do you remember the Berlin Wall? Iron Curtain? Spanish Inquisition? Do you remember why so many Europeans left for N. America to find religious freedom?

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I think it is a great idea, it should go further though and ban the building of ANY new religious structures.

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Trust Mitchy. :tongue:

It does seem a bit heavy-handed and provocative, but public feeling must be running high there. Maybe there's some way of reassuring the Swiss by introducing measures so their way of life isn't undermined, without antagonising many Muslims? Or maybe not, lol.

14. cock23

cock23 New Member

And how exactly will that help the world? :confused:

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well I kind of follow your logic.

For the Berlin Wall and the Iron Curtain do you mean that people from the east tried to migrate to the west to gain freedom?

Spanish Inquisition? That would be like the Sephardim Jews expelled from Spain who found protection from the Ottoman Sultan. I have a few Jewish friends in Istanbul whose families still speak 500 y.o. Spanish. They have told me about their history.

Fleeing to N.American to avoid religious persecution? Yes I see what you mean.

I guess you are right. Freedom of religious expression in Europe is under attack, specially in Switzerland, where today 4% of the population represent such a threat to the majority that they are banned from putting up a little minaret. It's pathetic and paranoiac.

Funny, the Swiss sure don't seem to mind Muslim MONEY. Hopefully some of those assets and investments will be re-thinking who they want managing them.

#15 vince, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  16. eurotop40

Gold Member

I think it should be clear that religion and spirituality MUST remain a private issue. Public life cannot be dominated by religious intregralism.
    It is interesting how the Catholic Church after the Swiss vote is condemning the ban. Some of the Catholic hierarchy is jealous of the islamic claim to dominate society and they would do the same if they could.
    How nice it would be to go back to the State of the Church that was abolished in 1870. Have you got an idea of the freedom that reigned in that country at that time?

17. eurotop40

Gold Member

Oh no, be sure that the large majority of the Swiss are not happy about Muslim money. You see that only Geneva, Lausanne and Neuchatel have voted against the ban. That area is basically sold to Petrodollars (and even one of Osama bin Laden's siblings was naturalized Swiss).

18. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Do you have that in a Constitution?

19. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    What is so awful about maintaining tradition? I'm not getting it. It's not as if Muslims are being persecuted in Swiss society. It's a country with a strong Christian tradition. It's part of its identity. Do we try to make Muslim countries Christian? No. We let them be. It's not proper.

20. cock23

cock23 New Member

Whoever said that anyone was trying to make Switzerland a Muslim country? :confused:

(By the way you'l find that the great majority of Muslim countries have Christian churches and cathedrals built in their main cities)

Draft saved Draft deleted