The Swiss Minaret Ban

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I started reading this thread which I discovered today. After four pages I realized that the the the real reason is not stated nor was the ban written appropriately.

Every city, regional area etc has a right to declare certain areas as historical areas. There are parts of every Swiss city that have major historical or architectural significance. Certainly outlawing minarets in those areas makes sense. It doesn't have to be religious in nature. How about the ultra modern all glass building that some want to build to be connected to a historical significantly important Gothic structure?

In certain areas of the old cities of Switzerland, I would agree that the historical architecture should be maintained. Any new structures have to conform to standards that make those structures "blend in" in with historical buildings.

I'm sure that the referendum gave that as the reason. I suspect that there was no structure put in place to monitor this. I suspect that had the Swiss government taken steps to protect the historical districts of Swiss cities, this ban would not have been referred to the people.

Take the pyramids of Egypt. I know of no significant group of people that believe in that ancient religion. Yet, the Egyptian government, which is controlled by the majority Sunni Muslims, works diligently to protect those pyramids. I'm quite sure that should someone want to build a Christian cathedral or mosque at the foot of the famous pyramids, it would and should be outlawed. There are plenty of places in Egypt to build all the mosques and cathedrals that Egypt will need for decades to come.

I would hope that the people voting for this referendum did so on these grounds and not trying to outlaw certain houses of worship.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I would agree that the historical architecture should be maintained. Any new structures have to conform to standards that make those structures "blend in" in with historical buildings.

I'm sure that the referendum gave that as the reason.

This is the wording, as far as I've managed to stumble over it:
Do you support the creation of a constitutional amendment to ban the future construction of minarets in Switzerland?

I would hope that the people voting for this referendum did so on these grounds and not trying to outlaw certain houses of worship.

Freddie, they're not banning mosques ... only minarets.
The Muslims will still have their houses of worship.