The Talented Mr. Ripley

ryguyga80

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The movie and the book were both great. I thought Matt Damon did a great job with the acting in the movie. I did feel though that they changed the movie to make it less gay than the book, which is sad because the character lost something there.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I just read the book for the first time and my mind fell on this thread.

The movie and the book were both great. I thought Matt Damon did a great job with the acting in the movie. I did feel though that they changed the movie to make it less gay than the book, which is sad because the character lost something there.

Less gay? Ripley's adoration for Dickie in the movie was way more leaning towards gay/bisexuality than in the book. In the book, it was hinted at. In the movie, it was more blatant.

Reactions: dreamer20

tal94

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
pretty blatant with the bath scene.

Why is silence of the lambs so disturbing? one of the best films from the past 20 years...

Any of you guys seen Oldboy? Now that is disturbing...

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
pretty blatant with the bath scene.

That's one of my favorite scenes. There's so much going on. Not only do we get to see the naked physique of the insanely hot Jude Law, but there is also this uncomfortable tension along with some bubbling sexuality. Plus, you're left wondering what the hell is going on in Dickie's mind.

Any of you guys seen Oldboy? Now that is disturbing...

I haven't seen Oldboy, but i know of it. I have seen the other movies in the "trilogy" though. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is high on my list of disturbing movies.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think it is a great movie for all of the above mention reason Jude Law sensually hot. Sexual tension between the two in the bathroom scene. Also Matt Damon appears to be displaying a very nice package when he is walking down the beach in his swim wear. I also like the way Jude Law potrayed "Bosie" in the film Oscar Wilde with Stephen Fry as Oscar some very sensual scenes in that one too.

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... Jude Law is just sex. Period.
Overall, 2 thumbs up.

A fine film! J-Law is just the coolest hottie in this film. It's nice to know that the costume designer added to the hottie-factor by suggestring Law should go commando with his well cut Italian trousers:) J-Law played along the wishes :cool::smile:

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Tom Ripley effed up my young impressionable mind. I've seen it probably fifteen times over the course of a few years and it's affect on me is much like car accidents to James Spader in "Crash."

I just can't stop getting aroused by the idea of being that mischevious.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The Talented Mr Ripley has been filmed twice before. The film's not bad and it makes a good fist of Patricia Highsmith's character of Tom Ripley. Highsmith wrote 5 books in total about Ripley's life, his climb from poverty and hustling to wealth and leisure.

Ripley's over-riding character trait is his anti-hero psychopathy. He is a suave, agreeable and utterly amoral con artist and serial killer who always evades justice.

His sexuality is soft-pedalled in the books, possibly a reflection of the time in which the books were published (1950s+) but more likely because Highsmith preferred the ambiguity of Tom Ripley never explicitly being one thing or the other. He has a wife and a successful marriage later on but is clearly obsessed with Dickie in The Talented Mr Ripley.

Tom Ripley - Wikipedia

bobo121_1998

Sexy Member
Media
I think there is a new show being developed for cable TV — Andrew Scott is supposed to be in the cast, I believe! He is such a fine actor, it should be interesting to see what he will do with any role. (Assuming he is Ripley, but I could be mistaken.)

I’ve never read the book, but I do like the film — thought the photographic quality was great, and the ensemble cast is stellar. (I’ve never watched the scene in the boat — I just could not. This came out when I was in college, I think, and it ended up on our campus channel at some point before I graduated. That’s where I first saw it with a friend — and I hid my eyes during that scene! My friend told me what happened and I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch it.)

The emotional theme or idea that seems to resonate most for me from the film is that idea of how ... attention from someone you love can be like warm sunshine, and then, when they turn away, your world is dark and cold. I am paraphrasing, but ... that basic idea hit home for me back when I first saw it. That, and being an outsider, and longing to be part of a different world in which you have no place. (Ripley makes a place for himself, but ... at a cost.)

bobo121_1998

Sexy Member
Media
A fine film! J-Law is just the coolest hottie in this film. It's nice to know that the costume designer added to the hottie-factor by suggestring Law should go commando with his well cut Italian trousers:) J-Law played along the wishes :cool::smile:

I never knew this! I have the DVD, but not sure if I’ve ever watched with the audio commentary (assuming there is one). Sounds like the kind of insight they might share (?) on a commentary ... might have to go give that a listen one of these days!

ozwestcoastboy

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Talented Mr Ripley has been filmed twice before. The film's not bad and it makes a good fist of Patricia Highsmith's character of Tom Ripley. Highsmith wrote 5 books in total about Ripley's life, his climb from poverty and hustling to wealth and leisure.

Ripley's over-riding character trait is his anti-hero psychopathy. He is a suave, agreeable and utterly amoral con artist and serial killer who always evades justice.

His sexuality is soft-pedalled in the books, possibly a reflection of the time in which the books were published (1950s+) but more likely because Highsmith preferred the ambiguity of Tom Ripley never explicitly being one thing or the other. He has a wife and a successful marriage later on but is clearly obsessed with Dickie in The Talented Mr Ripley.

Tom Ripley - Wikipedia
The Ripliad is a brilliant series of novels. Interestingly, a Showtime television series based on The Talented Mr Ripley, is about to go into production in Italy starring Andrew Scott (from Fleabag) as Tom, Johnny Flynn as Dickie Greenleaf and Dakota Fanning as Marge Sherwood. The eight-episode series will be written and directed by Steven Zaillian.
nintchdbpict000395364370-e1522764238487.jpg

Andrew Scott (above) and Johnny Flynn (below)
JohnnyFlynn-2020.jpg