The Talk- Sex Education

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Interesting topic came up today and brought back funny memories. I was 16 years old when my dad came to me and had "the talk" . My talk was very short, he said "you know what to do right?" My reply, "yes dad" and then my dad walks out of the room.lol

What were yours?

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mom was a nurse, so my brothers and I knew all the correct terms from about three years old onward.

The most embarrassing moment? When she told the elementary school PTA that "her boys knew all about sex." :eek:

When we found out about that, we realized why mothers were grabbing their daughters and pulling them away from us whenever we walked down the street in our hometown. :rolleyes:

NCbear (who's amused now at the irony--only two of us turned out to be straight :biggrin1::cool:)

D_Sal_Manilla

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
through out my life and even till today my mother had spoken with my sister and me about sex in numerous occasions.
this goes as far as I can remember which is about 8 years old.

She would always say.
"No te creas el cuento. Nadie te va a poder darte las estrellas"
which translates to
-do not believe the story. Nobody will be able to give the stars-

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I talked to my daughter when she was 12 years old and she already knew most of it. My Mum talked to me two days before my wedding. Thanks for that info, Mum.

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really had none. My husband had to deal with a very sexually uneducated young woman.
With our daughters , yes being nurse I also made sure they understand sex and their bodies.
My husband tried his best to be involved. He was to a point. Until there were real questions that seemed to rattle him. I think it can be difficult for a dad to think of his daughter as a sexual being.

smartsimple

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I got a few of them growing up, but when the "serious" talk about sex came I was around 16. Sad part about it was I had been with my girlfriend at the time for 2 years and we were already doing the deed for over a year:)

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I got a couple of booklets when I was a kid. Thankfully, it was one week before I got my period, or imagine the "Carrie"-like horror that might have occurred! It didn't really explain intercourse to me - no, one of my classmates explained THAT to my unbelieving self. My parents did WHAT???!

My kids? They knew the mechanics as they grew up, long before they were embarrassed by talking about it. My focus was on ensuring that they respected themselves and others. I wanted them to have a healthy attitude towards sexuality, to be unashamed of their bodies and to know that sex is fun, but requires responsibility. Got 2 grown ups, 1 teen and one tween and so far so good! Oldest three have certainly had healthier relationships that I did. :biggrin:

D_Sal_Manilla

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oldest three have certainly had healthier relationships that I did. :biggrin:

I always believe that this was the purpose for parents. To give their children a better life. Not just financially but in every sense. Congrats on your success.

i too hope that one day in the future when i have kids of my own that they too will have a better life than i did.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My parents never had the talk with me. I learned from sex education class, the internet, and personal experience. Lol.

Much like you there was never a "talk" in my house. I learned through sex ed in school. The internet wasn't really around during the years I needed a "talk". Guess they just thought I was a kid who loved animals and I knew where all those baby animals came from. :smile:

D_Dwayne_Pipe

Account Disabled
Media
I became engaged at age twenty four. My parents never ever talked about sex, so being rather outgoing, and having a father who was very shy and introverted, I went to him and said, "Dad, don't you think it's about time we had that talk?" He turned nearly purple, and said, "Oh, you probably know more about it than I do." End of conversation.

Russ311

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
When I was around 12 I got the talk from my dad about my body changing and wanlong. Then around 14 right before I started high school i got the talk about sex in depth and wearing condoms. He would take me for a ride in the car for these conversations, so after the talk at 14 he stoped at Walgreens to buy me a box of rubbers. He was cool about it with me, I would wanna be that way if I have a son.

B_Nia88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting topic came up today and brought back funny memories. I was 16 years old when my dad came to me and had "the talk" . My talk was very short, he said "you know what to do right?" My reply, "yes dad" and then my dad walks out of the room.lol

What were yours?

I was 3 or 4 when my Mom and Daddy discussed the difference between men and women and where babies come from and it has gone up to this present day when my Mom and give each other sex advice.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
that was not very nice.

I do not take her advice.

way too controlling
If I had a girlfriend she would be hella jealous. I do not have the "mother son bond "with her so it's not a big deal to me. such bond was with my grandma . She did passaway 6 years ago though.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
sex advice to your Mom :blink:

your family is really close, huh?

eta on topic:

my family has midwives, dulas and such... so the how, the why and the basic way was never a mystery.

my dad still thought to set me down for the talk.. which is adorable cuz my dad is pretty much a redneck Conan. big ass, hard ass country man *hugs* watching him start to stammer about sex, not getting pregnant, not letting a guy pressure me..

i finally as to say "dad, i wasn't joking when i told you i was gay... i kinda thought you knew that"
Dad: i was hoping so. *awkward silence* avoid crazy women.
ML: you shouldn't talk about Mom like that
Dad: i'm not talking about your mother!
ML: sure, Dad.. i believe you.
*hugs followed by auto repair and letting me have some of his *a* beer*

Last edited: