The term "Slut"

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by aninnymouse, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Is the term "Slut" something you find demeaning or pejorative

1. Yes, it's demeaning. Slut has a dirty connotation

29 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, it's not demeaning at all

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. It is demeaning, but I'd like to reclaim it, a la "Bitch" or "Queer"

14 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. It can be, depends on how you use it

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  5. I don't really care

16 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Do you find the term "Slut" to be pejorative, or is it something you willingly self identify with?

2. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not my -favorite- word but I don't mind saying I -used- to be a slut. In about a year period I banged 50 people roughly. I don't think being a slut is necessarily a BAD thing either. I just don't find it personally agreeable any longer. I have a fair few friends (online and otherwise) who are sluts.

In particular, one of my online acquaintances talks about her slutty experiences a lot on her blog, here A Slut's Memoir

3. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

No, I don't identify with it and for me it will always be a word that is used to belittle a woman who enjoys sex as much as men do.

4. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    IRL, men who use it are the ones I avoid. IME, men who use it have issues I don't want to deal with.

5. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's very context sensitive for me. Some people mean it as a slur, some don't. Those who intend it to be an insult irk me.

6. aninnymouse

Gold Member

It's funny. I've always heard it used in a negative connotation. No matter what sex it's referring to. I've heard it used to refer to men who sleep around a lot, too. Mainly famous men, such as rock stars who mess around with a lot of groupies.

I've also heard it used in a non sexual way, to describe someone who's dirty or slovenly. like "Yeah, they live over there, in that slutty ass trailer." or "I want to get my furnace fixed. I'm tired of having to sleep all winter bundled up like a slut."

I do think it is possible for it to be reclaimed, in the way Faydreh mentioned, like the terms Bitch and Queer have, to some degree, but I think that it's difficult, especially because the word is simply negative, not necessarily like Bitch or Queer.

/ETA, and yeah, this is all because of what that dude comountainman or whatever his name is, posted in the dating site thread....he seemed to get defensive about the term, so I thought I'd see what others thought.

7. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    IMO, it sounds completely different to call oneself a slut than it does to hear a man say of a woman, "She's a slut." There's the connotation of a different kind of judgment there.

8. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not that this is necessarily applicable to the current social standing of the word but I was curious and hit the googles:

SLUT:c.1400, "a dirty, slovenly, or untidy woman," probably cognate with dialectal Ger. Schlutt "slovenly woman," dialectal Swed. slata "idle woman, slut," and Du. slodder "slut," but the ultimate origin is doubtful. Chaucer uses sluttish (late 14c.) in reference to the appearance of an untidy man. Also "a kitchen maid, a drudge" (mid-15c.; hard pieces in a bread loaf from imperfect kneading were called slut's pennies, 18c.). Meaning "woman of loose character, bold hussy" is attested from mid-15c.; playful use of the word, without implication of loose morals, is attested from 1660s.
    Our little girl Susan is a most admirable slut, and pleases us mightily. [Pepys, diary, Feb. 21, 1664]
    Sometimes used 19c. as a euphemism for bitch to describe a female dog. There is a group of North Sea Germanic words in sl- that mean "sloppy," and also "slovenly woman," and that tend to evolve toward "woman of loose morals" (cf. slattern, also English dial. slummock "a dirty, untidy, or slovenly person," 1861; M.Du. slore "a sluttish woman").

9. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Agreed. Though I do use the word for either gender with no problem. I don't think it's exclusive to women, like *cough* some people seem to think

10. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Totally. I think that it can be used equally for both sexes/genders. It does not exclusively refer to women.

I found the Slut's Memoir really interesting. For her, it's really about self expression, and even owning her own sexuality. She's doing what makes HER happy. That's what gives a positive, reclaiming connotation to the term. And, it's self described. No one's calling her a slut but her. I like it.

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Oh dear Lord! The Maya were right about 2012 - Dragon and I have agreed twice in less than 24 hours - it'll be volcanoes and tsunami next! :smile:

Though I voted 'reclaim' because I really don't like to think of a word having power over anyone.

Bob Ross has hit upon the backstory of my not liking it:

It is the association with dirtiness, with lower standards, with untidiness - the word's association with sex and promiscuity comes from the idea the women who enjoy sex, who have multiple partners, are somehow unclean and lacking in judgement. The word is just dripping in value judgements that I find abhorrent.

I'm at the stage where if a woman is happy to use the word about herself then I'm not going to argue with her but I won't use it about myself or others and I don't like to be called it either.

12. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

It's a bad word for me.

13. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I've found slut tends to be used as a shaming device, and one usually based more in bias than fact, making it a slur in my opinion.

However, I support reclaiming the word and confronting the abusive use of it.

14. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh, I'll also mention that I happily and proudly participated in my city's Slut Walk last year. A cause to claim the word as well as to raise awareness of how often victim blaming happens with rape victims (male AND female) and pointing out how freaking wrong it is.

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

:grinning-smiley-003

Me, too, but totally stumbled on it heading for the train last summer and seeing a group of women in lingerie carrying signs. Which would not have been odd in NYC :tongue:, but there were tons of ladies with Kathleen Hanna-style SLUT scrawled across their bodies, and then knew I finally found the local Slut Walk.

16. B_Nia88

B_Nia88 New Member

Other than using the word slut during sex I never use it and think it is disrespectful.

17. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I was one of the two "I don't really care" votes...

To clarify though, I voted based on the word being used to/about me. If someone called a random woman, a female friend or my sister a slut, I would not take it laying down.

Likewise, I would never use it as an insult and the only times I've ever called someone a slut, I have done so with love, much like when I call people cunts... It's just my way of letting them know I care about them. You only need to worry when I'm not insulting you!

#17 Kotchanski, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  18. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

For me it depends on usage. The BDSM community 'reclaimed' the word long before my time and within a BDSM context I self identify as a slut. However I find the more common usage highly offensive.

19. dolfette

Gold Member

dear random men who think i'll find you calling me a slut somehow sexy and exciting.

you're a fucking moron.

yours,
    me xx

ps. no.

20. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ This. For a Sir or Ma'am etc who I submit to, I'm peachy with the word slut. If some random cunt-nugget called me a slut for no reason, there would be words, you may be sure... Context, baby.. context!

Draft saved Draft deleted