The Thrasymachus debate is still alive and well.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I wonder how shocked you might be if I were to suggest that in my opinion Iranian culture was more valuable to humanity than that of the United States.

I will prepare to defend my corner. :wink:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wonder how shocked you might be if I were to suggest that in my opinion Iranian culture was more valuable to humanity than that of the United States.

Not shocked at all. You've made plenty inexplicably stupid statements in the past. Nothing novel in your sophistry to speak of. :biggrin1:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Sharia law controls every single aspect of your private and public life. Girls from the age of puberty can be married. Shoplifting is punishable by amputation. Anyone who criticises the Qur'an or Mohammed can be legally murdered. You are not allowed to sing, or dance, or even laugh in public. Art, music and literature as we know them are simply not permitted. The legal witness of a man is worth more than a woman.
(Source)

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm pretty sure that it takes more than any mere statement of opinion to shock anyone in today's world of apocalyptic horrors.

But a couple of clarifications:

(1) Your reductio ad hominem defense is not the whole story. Despite the frequent judicial practice of concealing a person's earlier actions from a jury, there is indeed such a thing as anecdotal or past-history "proof"--or, at least, a good indication of tendency/probability. (Not that I'm joining the personality feud--I've read only a couple of your posts before this one, and don't remember their content.)

(2) "Iranian culture" needs to be defined. Do you mean the pre- or post-Islamic period? Mesopotamia indisputably contributed much to humanity. So, unfortunately, has Islam: see Link 7 above, and its source (if such a reminder is necessary these days...).

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Your reductio ad hominem is more premature than even I had expected :wink:

Inexplicably stupid is perhaps a mirror :biggrin1:
Not at all, my good fellow!

Your OP clearly stated your opinion was to be the subject of challenge...and since the man and his opinions are but one and the same, argumentum ad hominem is absolutely
the most logical route by which to assail the validity of such.

Now, I wonder what I shall find to occupy the remaining 23:59:45 of my day...
:tongue:

Really DW, we need to know the scope of your assertion. Are you speaking of the Medean, Achaemenid, Sassanid, Medean, Parthian? Are you including all of them or are you restricting your assertion to just Iran as a modern state?

In order to argue power and justice, we need to know to which civilization you are comparing the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Really DW, we need to know the scope of your assertion. Are you speaking of the Medean, Achaemenid, Sassanid, Medean, Parthian? Are you including all of them or are you restricting your assertion to just Iran as a modern state?

In order to argue power and justice, we need to know to which civilization you are comparing the US.

I'll take the whole lot Jason, even the indefensible over the last few decades which I admit, I will find very hard.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well, i would say there certainly were alot of very worthwhile things in Iran culturally in the past, but frankly, i am a child of cinema and music, and i think on that account, with regards to my own personal feeling it is really no contest.

it all would probably be relative to what type of culture and how much and how far back we are going.

and, at least in modern terms, i think we have definitely contributed more in that we cheer when women favor us with wet-t-shirt contests, as opposed to stoning them to death.

but that is nitpicking. :biggrin1:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media

Current, no. Over the history of mankind, perhaps.

I'm not interested 'situational' debates. Get a real issue.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Very high potential for provocation inherent in the statement/inquiry, which seems unnecessary.

Mostly it's a timing issue, no? Thousands of years ago..............a hundred years ago..............yesterday...............

Big money answer = it depends.

"Next!"

:wink: