The thread about the pope

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I just read the thread about the pope, and the somewhat unpleasant exchanges between members of this board.

to see how rapidly it descended into childish namecallling was surprising.

Religion has been the cause of EVERY major war on this planet, and there very nearly was a mini one here.

I propose to the moderators, and to everyone else, to avoid religion in threads in the future, this site is about penis size for fuck sake.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by db03@Apr 22 2005, 08:02 PM
Religion has been the cause of EVERY major war on this planet, and there very nearly was a mini one here.

Um ... WWI? The Civil War? The Franco-Prussian War? The Spanish-American War? The Korean War? The Punic Wars? Are you sure about your claim?

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Ok you've gone off the point, but I refer you to WW2.

Enough said.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by db03@Apr 22 2005, 08:32 PM

Enough said.
[post=303486]Quoted post[/post]​

What was the point? It seems your complaing about the religous threads by starting a new one.

FWIW, we try to post off topic threads in ETC to keep the rest of the board for it's primary purpose, even though threads do wander.

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Ya I understand that, but I just think that if people really want to get into a serious religious debate, there are more appropriate places to do it

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some of the posters here enjoy a spirited debate with each other, and while i agree that it sometimes takes a while to come around to sensibility, we usually do. Those threads are easy enough to avoid if it's not your cup of tea.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by db03@Apr 22 2005, 08:32 PM

The Anti-Semitism of Hitler was directed more at people who were ethnically Jewish than those who were Jewish by religion. The two distinctions usually existed in the same persons, but it still wasn't primarily a religious prejudice. He distrusted Jewish converts to Christianity because of their ethnic background.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Apr 22 2005, 03:50 PM
Some of the posters here enjoy a spirited debate with each other, and while i agree that it sometimes takes a while to come around to sensibility, we usually do. Those threads are easy enough to avoid if it's not your cup of tea.
[post=303499]Quoted post[/post]​

I think this is somewhat true, Zora, but this recent thread on the Pope brought about one dispiriting truth that needs to be addressed. It's one thing if two or more members can have an honest and thoughtful debate about a topic, even on some of the more controversial stuff. But what came of that thread in particular was this gang-up-bashing technique that really crossed the line. To be more specific, even if Nelson and Phoenix were plenty valid in their own differences about religion, Catholicism, and what have you, people started joining the frey, if for any reason than to support the guy that a member may personally like, often adding comments that did nothing to feed the original (and thoughtful) debate that happened in the first place.

It may have went something like this:

N: I am glad that Catholicism is moving toward a better position with a new Pope at the helm. B)
P: I'm discouraged by Catholicism itself, much less any organized religion because it hurts and discredits a lot of people for things they can't control. :mellow:
N: Intriguing. But not all Catholicism is like that and... :huh:
P: Oh yeah? Well, religion sucks! :eyes:
N: How uncouth! :evilgrin:
P: No, YOU shut the fuck up! :grr:
(squabbling) :spank:
A (friend of P): Well, he's cute and he's entitled to what he's got to say. :)
B (friend of P): Yeah, so shove it! :rolleyes:
N: You're all immature! :glare:
X (friend of N): Seriously! Grow the fuck up! :mad:
(more squabbling) :argh:

And what were we fighting about again? Oh, that's right. We lost it way back on page 2.

:nuke:

I guess I feel justified in adding to db03's original remark because, as I had learned, quite a few people were feeling really knocked down in that fight. Catholicism became insulted more than anything else, and to our members who strongly adhere to that faith, they too became attacked. It's one thing to say "Don't read it if you don't like it," but simply leaving it at that means, you know, you can just say whatever the hell you want and without whim or mercy because you don't owe any decency to anyone on the board.

Is that the impression you want to leave while posting? That "free speech" means it's perfectly okay to say whatever you want, about whichever you wish, even if it really hurts someone's feelings on the inside?

Don't get me wrong. I know I've said bad things too, but situations like this are ripe for a learning opportunity. The fact is, there were several members around here who were willing to leave the LPSG for good because they saw just quickly and easily threads could degenerate around here AND that people were just ganging up and attacking one another without realizing there was a whole different group out there who really felt isolated and chastized. And as much as I appreciate a fair bit of "fleshpiling" and "cliquishness" around here -- we all need friends and gropes, yeah -- it was getting to be a bit extreme. And when it drives people away, then that's a bit of a problem we can ALL agree on. Don't you think so?

neuromancer: Guess I am one of the guilty ones. Threatening someone physically is unacceptable. It bothered me, so I jumped in. Perhaps next time I should keep my mouth shut, since I was not directly involved, and do not know the person I was defending personally. Apologies.

The original post in this thread was correct. This is a cock board. ;) So,
lets have a little fun with that.

Which one of these guys is hotter? (nude men on links, do not click if it offends you)

Contestant Number One

Contestant Number Two

hung_big: I do not understand why people are so convinced that we need to have a complete lack of interest in everything other than cock. Yes, this site is 'dedicated' to large penises and penises in general, but there are plenty more threads about said organs then there are about religion. I think that this one of the finest places to have such discussions because of the sheer intellect of the members here and because of the very different, contrasting views we have here on any given subject.

As for Hitler. He was a hipocrite and like Jacinto said, religion was just the facade that was established to give reason for war. Hitler hated anybody who wasn't the perfect human(oid), aka "Arian", while he himself did not fit the discription of an Arian. He was just a power-hungry lunatic and if you study the war it is clear that his intentions weren't all because of religion. Yes, of course it was part of the reason, but in the large picture it most definetly wasn't. If you look at the war, strategies and events, they do not link directly to anti-semitism.

BTW...I couldn't see the contestants :D

PonyPete

Experimental Member
Media
An undisclosed location in central Louisiana
The word "Aryan" is a misnomer anyhow. The Aryans were the Indo-European conquerors of India. They were lighter than the indigenous people of India, but they were still darker than Europeans. If the Nazis had seen true Aryans they woulda thought that they were black and considered them inferior. JonB, have we gotten into that Godwin shit again?

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by db03@Apr 22 2005, 08:02 PM
Religion has been the cause of EVERY major war on this planet
negative. most of the major wars of the past 300 years owed very little to religion, and they've certainly been the most "major." on the other hand, religion has certainly been the cause of far MORE wars than anything else.

uh?? religion had nothing to do with the second world war, it was entirely down to international politics (which is just as bad). confusing the nazi holocaust with the second world war is quite a way down the six-lane highway to idiotville.

I propose to the moderators, and to everyone else, to avoid religion in threads in the future, this site is about penis size for fuck sake.
[post=303469]Quoted post[/post]​
huh. I hope this site isn't ABOUT penis size, at least not to the exclusion of anything else. the world would indeed be a much better place if people could keep their religions to themselves, but unless they make that decision FOR themselves there's not a whole lot you can do about it, without causing more problems than you'd solve.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne+Apr 22 2005, 09:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeeBlackthorne &#064; Apr 22 2005, 09:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Apr 22 2005, 03:50 PM
Some of the posters here enjoy a spirited debate with each other, and while i agree that it sometimes takes a while to come around to sensibility, we usually do. Those threads are easy enough to avoid if it&#39;s not your cup of tea.

I think this is somewhat true, Zora, but this recent thread on the Pope brought about one dispiriting truth that needs to be addressed. It&#39;s one thing if two or more members can have an honest and thoughtful debate about a topic, even on some of the more controversial stuff. But what came of that thread in particular was this gang-up-bashing technique that really crossed the line. To be more specific, even if Nelson and Phoenix were plenty valid in their own differences about religion, Catholicism, and what have you, people started joining the frey, if for any reason than to support the guy that a member may personally like, often adding comments that did nothing to feed the original (and thoughtful) debate that happened in the first place.

N: I am glad that Catholicism is moving toward a better position with a new Pope at the helm.
P: I&#39;m discouraged by Catholicism itself, much less any organized religion because it hurts and discredits a lot of people for things they can&#39;t control.
N: Intriguing. But not all Catholicism is like that and...
P: Oh yeah? Well, religion sucks&#33;
N: How uncouth&#33;
P: No, YOU shut the fuck up&#33;
(squabbling)
A (friend of P): Well, he&#39;s cute and he&#39;s entitled to what he&#39;s got to say.
B (friend of P): Yeah, so shove it&#33;
N: You&#39;re all immature&#33;
X (friend of N): Seriously&#33; Grow the fuck up&#33;
(more squabbling)

And what were we fighting about again? Oh, that&#39;s right. We lost it way back on page 2.

I guess I feel justified in adding to db03&#39;s original remark because, as I had learned, quite a few people were feeling really knocked down in that fight. Catholicism became insulted more than anything else, and to our members who strongly adhere to that faith, they too became attacked. It&#39;s one thing to say "Don&#39;t read it if you don&#39;t like it," but simply leaving it at that means, you know, you can just say whatever the hell you want and without whim or mercy because you don&#39;t owe any decency to anyone on the board.

Is that the impression you want to leave while posting? That "free speech" means it&#39;s perfectly okay to say whatever you want, about whichever you wish, even if it really hurts someone&#39;s feelings on the inside?

Don&#39;t get me wrong. I know I&#39;ve said bad things too, but situations like this are ripe for a learning opportunity. The fact is, there were several members around here who were willing to leave the LPSG for good because they saw just quickly and easily threads could degenerate around here AND that people were just ganging up and attacking one another without realizing there was a whole different group out there who really felt isolated and chastized. And as much as I appreciate a fair bit of "fleshpiling" and "cliquishness" around here -- we all need friends and gropes, yeah -- it was getting to be a bit extreme. And when it drives people away, then that&#39;s a bit of a problem we can ALL agree on. Don&#39;t you think so?
[post=303516]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Dee,

Thank you. Simply thank you.

Naughty

neuromancer:
Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 22 2005, 07:44 PM
I do not understand why people are so convinced that we need to have a complete lack of interest in everything other than cock. Yes, this site is &#39;dedicated&#39; to large penises and penises in general, but there are plenty more threads about said organs then there are about religion.

[post=303552]Quoted post[/post]​

excuse me all to hell. i just posted the pics to lighten the mood. they will come down now. i am getting the impresssion now that this is an uptight overly critical bitchy bunch here, and i probably should move on. so, BUBBYE.

examine your own god damned self before you hurl criticisms on other people.

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne@Apr 22 2005, 05:33 PM

N: I am glad that Catholicism is moving toward a better position with a new Pope at the helm.
P: I&#39;m discouraged by Catholicism itself, much less any organized religion because it hurts and discredits a lot of people for things they can&#39;t control.
(squabbling)
A (friend of P): Well, he&#39;s cute and he&#39;s entitled to what he&#39;s got to say.
(more squabbling)

And what were we fighting about again? Oh, that&#39;s right. We lost it way back on page 2.

I guess I feel justified in adding to db03&#39;s original remark because, as I had learned, quite a few people were feeling really knocked down in that fight. Catholicism became insulted more than anything else, and to our members who strongly adhere to that faith, they too became attacked. It&#39;s one thing to say "Don&#39;t read it if you don&#39;t like it," but simply leaving it at that means, you know, you can just say whatever the hell you want and without whim or mercy because you don&#39;t owe any decency to anyone on the board.

And as much as I appreciate a fair bit of "fleshpiling" and "cliquishness" around here -- we all need friends and gropes, yeah -- it was getting to be a bit extreme. And when it drives people away, then that&#39;s a bit of a problem we can ALL agree on. Don&#39;t you think so?

Dee: From my point of view, you hit the nail right on the head. I wish I was able to articulate as simply and clearly as you did.
Thank you, from a Christian (Catholic) who also felt that only the negative aspects of my faith were being emphasized. Thank you also to DMW for being the resident Catholic theologian&#33;

LapDog :9 :p :9
Who believes in the true meaning of Christianity of loving God and loving one another.

carolinacurious:
excuse me all to hell. i just posted the pics to lighten the mood. they will come down now. i am getting the impresssion now that this is an uptight overly critical bitchy bunch here, and i probably should move on. so, BUBBYE.

examine your own god damned self before you hurl criticisms on other people.

are you insane?

"uptight overly critical bitchy"

Mr Pot, please meet Mr. Kett...

"BUBBYE"

Don&#39;t let the door smack your ass...

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne+Apr 22 2005, 04:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeeBlackthorne &#064; Apr 22 2005, 04:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Apr 22 2005, 03:50 PM
Some of the posters here enjoy a spirited debate with each other, and while i agree that it sometimes takes a while to come around to sensibility, we usually do. Those threads are easy enough to avoid if it&#39;s not your cup of tea.

I think this is somewhat true, Zora, but this recent thread on the Pope brought about one dispiriting truth that needs to be addressed. It&#39;s one thing if two or more members can have an honest and thoughtful debate about a topic, even on some of the more controversial stuff. But what came of that thread in particular was this gang-up-bashing technique that really crossed the line. To be more specific, even if Nelson and Phoenix were plenty valid in their own differences about religion, Catholicism, and what have you, people started joining the frey, if for any reason than to support the guy that a member may personally like, often adding comments that did nothing to feed the original (and thoughtful) debate that happened in the first place.

(squabbling)
(more squabbling)

Is that the impression you want to leave while posting? That "free speech" means it&#39;s perfectly okay to say whatever you want, about whichever you wish, even if it really hurts someone&#39;s feelings on the inside?

Don&#39;t get me wrong. I know I&#39;ve said bad things too, but situations like this are ripe for a learning opportunity. The fact is, there were several members around here who were willing to leave the LPSG for good because they saw just quickly and easily threads could degenerate around here AND that people were just ganging up and attacking one another without realizing there was a whole different group out there who really felt isolated and chastized. And as much as I appreciate a fair bit of "fleshpiling" and "cliquishness" around here -- we all need friends and gropes, yeah -- it was getting to be a bit extreme. And when it drives people away, then that&#39;s a bit of a problem we can ALL agree on. Don&#39;t you think so?
[/b][/quote]

Dee is now my new favorite person of the day.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To Dee and everyone here:

I apologise if my post on this thread seemed to justify name calling and threatening, I certainly didn&#39;t mean that. I was defending our right to discuss what topics we see fit in Etc., as that thread is devoted to off topic posting. I said you could avoid it if you want, meaning the issues, not that we should feel free to strike out against each other in a manner unbecoming ladies and gentlemen.

We have some brilliant minds here that occasionally need more challenging topics than dick talk, that&#39;s what those threads are for, but it doesn&#39;t serve anyone&#39;s needs to go through the day with hurt feelings and bruised egos. We can do better.

Of course we all have opinions about things, and on hot topics such as religion and politics these are often very deep seated emotional issues for each of us in our own way. I believe in us so much that I believe we have the capacity to converse without losing sight of the fact that we WANT to grow together rather than apart.

I have a suggestion: how about if someone says something that we consider offensive, we address it privately with that person rather than publicly where it takes the focus of the whole group? I think that would help minimise the "pile up" effect we&#39;ve been seeing. If anyone else has ideas to add on how to make it better, please do.

I want to believe we can disagree and still love each other, I need to believe it. I will try in earnest to keep my nose out of other people&#39;s business (it may take a 12 step group) so as not to add fuel to the fire. I need you all and love you. Jana

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Dee&#39;s post hit this nail on the head. We talked about this topic the other day off list. There seems to be the need for a few individuals to hijack topics with their band of cheerleaders and if someone disagrees, they gang up on them and now people are leaving.

Zora brings up a great point, too in that we do need some challenging talk OTHER than big dicks once in a while. The nice thing about intelligent people is that we can, or supposedly can, respect each other&#39;s beliefs and listen to each other and learn. We don&#39;t have to agree with the other side.

I don&#39;t agree with the Catholic church, I find a lot of their doctrine to be contrary to how I believe as a Protestant Christian. I will never be swayed to believe otherwise, but it doesn&#39;t mean that I can&#39;t have Catholic friends or won&#39;t talk to a Catholic person--I HAVE Catholic family members. I can debate with them and both sides can learn from open minded dialogue. The immature fighting, though, doesn&#39;t do anyone a service.

I&#39;m here to learn, to make some friends, to laugh, and to give others support, but it can&#39;t happen if all we do is bicker and threaten each other physically. We&#39;ve all got to think with the big head for once and act with some modicum of maturity, which I know is hard when we&#39;re talking about "hot" topics. In this thread I&#39;ve learned some things about the papacy, I&#39;ve learned about Protestants and Catholics in Scotland and Ireland, and I&#39;ve also learned the true colors of some of our posters.