The thread about the pope

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by lapdog2001@Apr 23 2005, 05:53 AM
Thank you, from a Christian (Catholic) who also felt that only the negative aspects of my faith were being emphasized.

LapDog :9 :p :9
Who believes in the true meaning of Christianity of loving God and loving one another.
[post=303666]Quoted post[/post]​
It isn't alarming to you that are negative aspects to your faith? Does it not bother you that you subscribe to a belief system that purports to be infallible yet you yourself admit has "negative aspects"?

And also, who are you to say what the "true" meaning of Christianity is? Are you Christ? What makes your version of christianity more "true" than anyone else's? Jesus said a lot more than just "love one another as I have loved you." he said a lot of other really fucked up things.

note: I am not attacking you. Just because I disagree with your religion and belief, and "faith" and because I question it does not make it a personal attack. I am not saying you are a bad person. I just think your reasoning and logic may be a little suspect. I realize how arrogant that might seem, but that is not my intention. That is why debate exists, because both sides feel they are right.

Also, I know that wasn't the point of the thread, but it always intrigues me when a christian admits to believing in a flawed system, and I always want clarification.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have a suggestion: how about if someone says something that we consider offensive, we address it privately with that person rather than publicly where it takes the focus of the whole group? I think that would help minimise the "pile up" effect we've been seeing. If anyone else has ideas to add on how to make it better, please do.

I full on agree with that. And, in my defense, I only defended myself. I stated how I felt, and I got jumped on by Nelson. That's all I'm saying.

hung_big: Okay...I have a suggestion:

After a fight has ended, unless it has direct reprocussions to a certain situation, let's not bring it up.

That means no more talking about Nelson and the fight, The Pope debates, Nerolix or any other conduct that showed bad form on this site.

hung_big:
It isn't alarming to you that are negative aspects to your faith? Does it not bother you that you subscribe to a belief system that purports to be infallible yet you yourself admit has "negative aspects"?

Perhaps he is proposing that a negative aspect of that belief system is its proclaimed infilliability? That would be confusing in and of itself.

It doesn't alarm me that you can find negative aspects of your faith. Your faith may not directly correlate to your personal philosophy or your person set or morals. It doesn't mean that one of them is wrong, it just means that you are an individual in a system.

Even if you had no religion you can still find negative aspects to JUST your personal morals. I would ramble off some examples, but I'm rather lazy.

And also, who are you to say what the "true" meaning of Christianity is? Are you Christ? What makes your version of christianity more "true" than anyone else's? Jesus said a lot more than just "love one another as I have loved you." he said a lot of other really fucked up things.

First thing's first, he said he "BELIEVES" the true mean of Christianity is. This would mean it is a personal opinion.

His definition of Christianity may not be agreed upon by everybody, but he (it seems to me) is alot like myself. He believes in God (and Jesus?) and to love everybody around you, but perhaps, not the frills of religion. This is just speculation of course. That would mean that when it comes down to it and you decode all relgions it comes down to the same thing: Live to be a good person and believe in God(s).

Also, I know that wasn't the point of the thread, but it always intrigues me when a christian admits to believing in a flawed system, and I always want clarification.
[post=303726]Quoted post[/post]​

I think answer your query.

Religion is system. Systems are flawed. Everything in this world is flawed, due to human error. Not one conformity, political, religious or otherwise will fit a certain person's morals perfectly. For example, One may be Catholic, but may not believe homosexuality is a deadly, unforgivable sin. This would mean he/she thinks the religion has (a) certain flaw(s), but still believes in the fundamentals of said belief system. You have to work with it. She isn't NOT going to be a Catholic because of a certain flaw.

With that said, it would also mean that Belief systems are man-made, because there are certain flaws to them. In that sense I think each and every person has to "customize" their set of morals and "beliefs".

I hope that helped. :)

And Lapdog buddy, I'm sorry if my speculation was right off the mark...but I thought I perhaps might explain what I think.

hung_big: Rock, you never cease to amaze me how you raise such good points with one-line cynical remarks. I love you brah.

hung_big: Kim, I think that is a video clip close-up on an Orc from one of the Lord of the Rings movies. That's what I at least remember him saying and what it looks like to me.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by naughty@Apr 23 2005, 06:15 PM
but I had to say I love that avatar Dr.Rock! What is that from ?
[post=303807]Quoted post[/post]​
my clique of creepy friends watches movies way too much, and they decided that bruce spence's character in the lord of the rings movie is me. this is the one they're talking about. I think it's supposed to be the voice and the teeth. although mine aren't really THAT badly-stained. honestly :( this is the kind of dorkitude I have to endure on a daily basis. :eyes:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate to tell you this, but the word "dorkitude" kind of convicted you. BTW the link didn't work for me, but I think I know the character. Fellow LOTR dork here though.

hung_big: One problem...Orcs aren't sexy Rock. That CLEARLY is not a good representation of you!

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by madame_zora+Apr 23 2005, 07:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Apr 23 2005, 07:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>BTW the link didn&#39;t work for me
[post=303856]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

that&#39;s cos the bbcode fucked it up. I fixed it now.

<!--QuoteBegin-hung_big
@Apr 23 2005, 07:40 PM
One problem...Orcs aren&#39;t sexy Rock. That CLEARLY is not a good representation of you&#33;
[post=303857]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
he&#39;s not an orc, read the book already&#33;&#33; oh, and thanks. :p

hung_big: Oh alright...Orc, Troll, ugly thing...it&#39;s all the same to me. But I actually do intend on reading the book(s)...eventually.

And yes to what Jana said.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Apr 23 2005, 03:32 PM
my clique of creepy friends
[post=303849]Quoted post[/post]​

They can&#39;t be all bad if they love you enough to stick around&#33; ;)

And to the uninitiated out there, that&#39;s the Mouth of Sauron. I laughed out loud when I first saw that the good doctor had chosen that has his avatar. It sort of fits his uninhibited and scathing wit&#33;

Yes, I know about the Mouth of Sauron. My name is Steve and I&#39;m a geek.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by steve319+Apr 23 2005, 09:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; Apr 23 2005, 09:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock@Apr 23 2005, 03:32 PM
my clique of creepy friends
[post=303849]Quoted post[/post]​

They can&#39;t be all bad if they love you enough to stick around&#33; ;)

And to the uninitiated out there, that&#39;s the Mouth of Sauron. I laughed out loud when I first saw that the good doctor had chosen that has his avatar. It sort of fits his uninhibited and scathing wit&#33;

Yes, I know about the Mouth of Sauron. My name is Steve and I&#39;m a geek.
[post=303922]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Well, bless us and splash us, my precious&#33;

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Pecker+Apr 23 2005, 10:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pecker &#064; Apr 23 2005, 10:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hung_big@Apr 23 2005, 03:40 PM
One problem...Orcs aren&#39;t sexy Rock.
[post=303857]Quoted post[/post]​

Female orcs might take exception to that.
[post=303945]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Are there female orcs? Thanks for the info. I was intrigued by it totally.

Naughty

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh my gosh&#33; Pecker&#39;s porker&#39;s been polluted&#33; :eek:

Caught me by surprise, but I suppose the new avatar guidelines cut to the quick sometimes&#33; (Probably a good choice, though)