The thread of all threads!!!

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I try my hardest to come up with interesting threads when things are calm on the LPSG forum but it is very difficult to find an original subject that is interesting to most people. If I get over 30 posts then I think that it is successful. Some have been total disasters!

How do think up thread subjects?

Which kind are your favourites?

What kind do you hate?

Any suggestions for improving the standards?

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Stronzo said:
Tu ne dois pas employer le mot "grenouille" quand tu parles avec les gens français mon ami!:eek:

"Demz fightin' words"

Non, ca va, ils appelent les anglais, les rosbifs!
No it's OK, they call us , Roast beef!
- because of the colour we usually go in the sun:biggrin1:

sexycobra

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Be careful; you know that there are some French-speaking people here (although not necessarily from France)...

Edit: not that I took it seriously, but it's better not to get into any linguistic confrontation...

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
It's OK, we usually have fun calling each other those names since they are foreign words and don't sound very insulting!
It doesn't matter if the french call me a Rosbif! I find it funny:biggrin1:

Les Anglais ont debarques - because of the red coats the English soldiers used to wear when we were at war.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I must admit, I am suspicious of any language where "qu'est-ce qu'il" (sorry I don't have my french keyboard active) is pronounced "keskeel" or "est-ce que" is pronounced "eskuh". I'll have my "suspicious of any language" spiel ready for english tomorrow (hint - it involves letter combinations that have multiple multiple pronunciations...)

Now for my french-language bad joke....

A guy goes in to a french restaurant, and orders a three egg omelet. The waiter tells him, "Sorry sir, we cannot serve you a three egg omelet." The man asks why, and the waiter tells him....

one egg is an oeuf.

sexycobra

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
I must admit, I am suspicious of any language where "qu'est-ce qu'il" (sorry I don't have my french keyboard active) is pronounced "keskeel" or "est-ce que" is pronounced "eskuh".

Well, coming from the other side:

"He laughed thoughtfully throughout the whole ghastly night"

is pronounced somewhat like (not strictly phonetic here):

"i loft taötfuli truot de ol gastli naït"

Note especially the different pronunciations of the "gh".

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
English makes me nervous too. It makes no sense, but the following paragraph illustrates one reason why:

I thought the rough trough I bought ought to be enough to get us through the drought doughtily. But when the bough broke, it brought very tough dough from an unknown source.

Ouch.

Ummagumma

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
English makes me nervous too. It makes no sense, but the following paragraph illustrates one reason why:

I thought the rough trough I bought ought to be enough to get us through the drought doughtily. But when the bough broke, it brought very tough dough from an unknown source.

Ouch.
Wow... or could I say wough?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
George Bernard Shaw once famously suggested that there should be a new spelling of the word fish: namely, ghoti.

"gh", as in "rough"

"o", as in "women"

and

"ti" as in "action". :rolleyes: