"The Threat...Carloads of black Obama supporters"

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll have to admit, when I saw this message last night, I was worried that we were being punked. Nobody would send something this vile in a public message, I thought, and I worried that this was bait for us to run with so that we'd have our own Ashley Todd-like story, with Democrats rushing to overreact to a hoax.

But then this morning, the person who forwarded that e-mail admitted to doing so:

Wow.
I'm not feeling the same 'wow' as I've previously heard really disturbing things in crowd/rally interviews. If anything, this e-mail is tame by comparison.

I think some people are hitting the panic button without considering national demographics:
300 million people in the United States*
White people are 74% of the population*
Black people are 12% of the population* (some argue a falling rate, others that Blacks are barely maintaining a replacement birth rate)

Every state is majority, 60% or greater,* White except for Hawaii (and D.C., Puerto Rico), with 25 states, or half, 80% or greater in White population.*

Yet, Obama wins, "they" take over? :rolleyes:

*American FactFinder

Well, i don't see what is unfair about saying the truth...would you see the black community this excited and passionate about a charismatic, former Harvard law professor, community leader, state senator and half term white U.S. senator named Barry O'Brien instead of Barack Obama?

i highly doubt it.
Why do you "highly doubt it"?
The "Black community" has been energized, excited, and passionate about many non-Black political candidates. Off the top of my head, Hubert Humphrey and Robert Kennedy.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
4. It is their chance to get a black president (half black). What is wrong with that part of the quote? It seems right on the mark....considering the polling profile of the black community and their over 90% support for Obama, is this not true?

You're making a racist inference here:

• The letter stated that the only factor in the black voters' decision was race. That's racist, because it suggests that black voters don't care about the economy, or about health care, or about anything else: it belittles them by suggesting they're detached from the political process. Furthermore, its demonstrably false: Black voters didn't turn out for Alan Keyes, Carol Moseley-Braun, or Al Sharpton in significant numbers providing three counterexamples to the theory you're defending that black voters care only about electing a fellow black person.
  • It's also racist, because you defend the 90% figure to be sufficient evidence for race-based voting among black voters, but haven't made similar claims involving blocs of white voters:

McPherson County, South Dakota is about as white as counties come: In the 2000 Census, 99.4% of the population was white; the rest were predominately native Americans. There were zero African-Americans in the county. McPherson County overwhelmingly chose Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama in their state's primary. Are you prepared to say that this county voted as a bloc based on their common race?
  • And can we stop using the phrase "half black"? Racial discrimination is bad enough in this country without returning to the days of labeling people mulattoes and octoroons. Do you also label people "half brunette" (brulatto?)

Last edited:

lilova9

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Look I Dont Support Rev Wright But The Man Remembers The Dogs, The Hoses , And The Nooses , And The Lil Blk Boys And Girls Burned In Churches Very Vividly...how Can You Discount Wrights Account Of Things,,this Is America's Shameless Past(so We Thought..now Its Back Without The Sheets But With Suit And Ties

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do you "highly doubt it"?
The "Black community" has been energized, excited, and passionate about many non-Black political candidates. Off the top of my head, Hubert Humphrey and Robert Kennedy.

very true kitty...but not like this, and not for a totally inexperienced candidate.

Humphrey had 26 years in local, state, federal and then vice presidential offices.

and RFK, who they were probably most passionate about, had 9 years of experience at the department of justice,(internal security section),and as a prosecutor in New York, assistant and chief counsel to the Senate sub-committee on investigations, then chief counsel to the Senate Labor rackets committee...

then ran JFK's campaign, was Attorney General of the US, and literally the voice in the ear of the president on virtually every major issue due to his closeness, and was instrumental in running a gauntlet of absolutely critical national issues such as Civil Rights, Organized Crime, the Soviets, and lord knows what else, not to mention remained a member of the cabinet for nearly a year with LBJ...

and THEN became a Senator in 1965...

I would say still, if this was a white candidate with Obama's exact same record, most of the african americans would have gone with Hillary...a known political commodity....and a white "Obama" would not be 4 days away from the presidency.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're making a racist inference here:

• The letter stated that the only factor in the black voters' decision was race. That's racist, because it suggests that black voters don't care about the economy, or about health care, or about anything else: it belittles them by suggesting they're detached from the political process. Furthermore, its demonstrably false: Black voters didn't turn out for Alan Keyes, Carol Moseley-Braun, or Al Sharpton in significant numbers providing three counterexamples to the theory you're defending that black voters care only about electing a fellow black person.
  • It's also racist, because you defend the 90% figure to be sufficient evidence for race-based voting among black voters, but haven't made similar claims involving blocs of white voters:

McPherson County, South Dakota is about as white as counties come: In the 2000 Census, 99.4% of the population was white; the rest were predominately native Americans. There were zero African-Americans in the county. McPherson County overwhelmingly chose Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama in their state's primary. Are you prepared to say that this county voted as a bloc based on their common race?
  • And can we stop using the phrase "half black"? Racial discrimination is bad enough in this country without returning to the days of labeling people mulattoes and octoroons. Do you also label people "half brunette" (brulatto?)

1. well, i am not "inferring" anything...my stated belief that while Obama is a very brilliant and intelligent man, his record is not one that would lead african american people to believe this much in him, if he was not in fact black. A white person with his record would have likely been annihilated by Hillary in the primaries.

indeed, black voters do in fact care about a laundry list of issues...however, there are in fact plenty of voters out there, who do not know what the hell their candidate stands for black or white, be it now, or 4 years ago, or 12 years ago...but many african americans who you hear discussing Obama talk about the "dream" of having a black man in the White House...if not, why did they not go crazy over Michael Dukakis?

Like it or not, there are, in fact many african americans in this election who do not see policy, but see color...sadly, much the same as the type of redneck who when he sees obama, only sees color and won't vote for him either. Ignorance and racism inhabits both sides of this debate, both for, and against him.

With all due respect, i did not say that all african americans vote "all black" all the time, because when was the last time there was a black presidential or vice presidential candidate?
How could blacks vote for Alan Keyes in the republican primaries since most blacks are not registered republicans?
as for Mosely Braun,

2. I do not need to make "similar" claims about white based voters. Everyone knows it is a fact that plenty of white people in certain places vote on race.
Where did i say otherwise? I would be prepared to say that their vote for Hillary was based on race, yes, absolutely, if the votes bore that out. If those are the stated numbers from South Dakota, and all of those people chose Hillary, then yes, it would indeed suggest race based voting if they did not have policy differences between Obama and Clinton, absolutely. If you provided the accurate stats, and not one solitary person in the whole county voted for Obama, then yes, that would seem a concrete example of race based politics.

I would say also, that HIllary Clinton is a far more experienced person than Obama in national government, and yes, there were an overwhelming number of african americans who supported him over her, when in fact, based on track record, hers was far superior, and their policies were not that far apart...so what conclusion are we left with? Obama was clearly a weaker candidate in terms of experience and policy than Clinton was, yet blacks voted overwhelmingly for him...that says something, does it not?

3. What else shall we use? Half white? Nobody is labelling him a "mulatto". The fact is, people like yourself and the media, and his supporters are labelling him as "african american"...the first african american president...when he isn't.

In fact, it is insulting to call him an african american without acknowledging, that he was the son of a white mother, was raised in a white family, and whose father abandoned the family.

I would say that his experience as part white shaped him as much as anything that being black did. He was the part of two different people, and as such, the claiming of him as "african american" while dismissing the part of him which is white, is insulting and pathetic.

everyone, all his supporters and admirers, agree that this is a very intelligent, charismatic and admired person...so why discount an entire half of *HIM* that makes him *HIM*.

he is, in fact, half black and half white. That is not discrimination...that is fact. It is a fact that *TWO* races combined to form a very commendable and important human being...not just *ONE*. I would label your comments as discriminatory and racist for demanding that the honest truth be held up at the expense of a lie.

the man is the part of two distinct cultures...that is a *GOOD* thing not a *BAD* thing...it is just a shame that some people want to claim him only as a part of their culture, instead of admitting the fact that what makes him who he is, is actually *BOTH* black *AND* white. Not just black.

so when you say he will be the first black president, you are in fact being discriminatory...because he is bi-racial, and the man standing on the cusp of the presidency would not be who he is right now, at this moment in history, without that part of him that is white either.

that is a fact, not racism.

Being biracial is not a crime, nor is it a label...it is no more a label than "African-american" or "caucasian". If you are going to use the label of the first "african american" or "black" president, why not use the correct label at least, since most people revert to them anyway.

4. Being a brunette is not a question of race, and you know that. Hair color does not define your ethnicity. Hair color can be changed, ethnicity and who you are cannot...and Obama, is indeed bi-racial, and represents the good qualitites of *TWO* distinct ethnicities, not just one.

davec94

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Twist what? Isn’t that just handy NObama sat there and listened to that fruitcakes hate-filled racist bile for 20 years and denounced him *after* his lunacy was exposed.

A real man with some basic decency would have walked and denounced that flake long before the flake was tried and convicted in the media using his own words.
so i suppose by reading this post i'm automatically a republican?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The fact is, people like yourself and the media, and his supporters are labelling him as "african american"...the first african american president...when he isn't.

In fact, Obama calls himself an African-American. He says he is "a black man with a white mother", which I think fairly acknowledges the facts.

The half-black terminology originates from an ugly part of our history when slavery was still legal, and children of slaves were not free. The designation carries negative connotations from the time when mixed race people were named mulatto, a term derivedfrom the Spanish word for "little mule" to mock their 'hybrid' status. Other terms, like half-breed were also intended to denigrate, as do other terms involving the fraction when applied to people: half-wit, half-assed, half-hearted.

It's true that some mixed-race people embrace the term 'half-black', in much the same radically empowering way that some gay people embrace the term 'queer', but that doesn't make either term appropriate to use for someone else. If you really must use a term, you can use mixed-race, or biracial.

I would say that his experience as part white shaped him as much as anything that being black did.

Do you think he endured only half as much discrimination from others? Do you think Ron Whitley (author of the e-mail in my original post) is twice as scared of Michelle as he is of Barack?

Of course his white family played a part in who he is, but the way that the rest of the world interacts with him is influenced by his outward appearance, which isn't striped or spotted or two-toned.

He was the part of two different people, and as such, the claiming of him as "african american" while dismissing the part of him which is white, is insulting and pathetic.

I'm part of two different people, but no one's ever called me "half-female". Where is the "pathetic insult" involved in calling him by the same designation he calls himself?

Hair color can be changed, ethnicity and who you are cannot.

Grey Owl and George Herriman would probably disagree. Race isn't just a biological component, it's a much more complex sociological construct, and as such, it's subjectively perceived by those around us and one can indeed change that perception -- not as easily as one changes hair color, perhaps, but it can be done.

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'll have to admit, when I saw this message last night, I was worried that we were being punked. Nobody would send something this vile in a public message, I thought, and I worried that this was bait for us to run with so that we'd have our own Ashley Todd-like story, with Democrats rushing to overreact to a hoax.

But then this morning, the person who forwarded that e-mail admitted to doing so:

Wow.
OK, I examined this letter very closely - and my opinion is that there is ONE SINGLE WORD in it that, if removed, would have made this a perfectly appropriate and factual letter. And here it is:

I would have changed this sentence:

"I SEE CARLOADS OF BLACK OBAMA SUPPORTERS COMING FROM THE INNER CITY TO CAST THEIR VOTES FOR OBAMA."

to this:

"I SEE CARLOADS OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS COMING FROM THE INNER CITY TO CAST THEIR VOTES FOR OBAMA."

I don't give a damn whether or not the voter is black or not. Because it is not just black voters that are going in to vote for "history" without knowing all the facts about this man.

That is all I ask.

It is a free country, vote for who you want...

Vote for a Marxist...

Vote for a friend of a unrepentent, murderous terrorist (Bill Ayers)...
(Know that William Ayers wrote a book dedicated to the assassin of Robert F. Kennedy (D).)

Vote for a friend of an America-hating racist (Jerimiah Wright)...

Vote for a guy that will raise taxes overall...
(Please know that higher taxes (overall) has been historically proven to slow the economy.)

Vote for a guy who justifies his higher taxes by stating that he wants to spread the wealth...

Vote for a guy that thinks the founding fathers wrote a fundamentally flawed Constitution, and that the flaw was that the Judicial branch doesn't have the power to spread personal wealth...
(Know that the next president may be selecting up to 3 Supreme Court Justices.)

Vote for a guy whose wife was never proud of her country until her husband won a primary...

Just PLEASE KNOW exactly WHO you are voting for. That is all I ask.

If everyone voting is well informed, and on November 4th the informed people vote in Obama, I will accept my country's fate, because it is the will of people IN THE KNOW.

But it would be a bitter pill to swallow knowing that we sold the country out to "make history" with a guy the voters didn't know enough about.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't give a damn whether or not the voter is black or not.

But you care that they're coming from "the inner city"? And that's not code for "black"?

Race aside, registered citizens are exercising their right to vote, and you approve of calling that a "threat"?

And really, Marxist? Ayers? You have such a small repertoire.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ayers is irrelevent. It's Obama's early campaign history and funding (particularly involving Tony Rezko) that his opponents should latch onto; that's really the only potential scandal they could hope to use against him (...too little, too late). But the media latches on to the Ayers/Wright shenanigans because it has more buzzwords.

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But you care that they're coming from "the inner city"? And that's not code for "black"?
I have volunteered at an inner city public school for the past 10 years, I graduated from one. The school is about 55% black, 45% white. Even the schools with the highest percentage of blacks are probably not even 70%.
So it seems like a silly "code word" to me. That is, unless the people doing the picking up are ONLY picking up black people. That wouldn't surprise me because that is par for the course for democrats.

Race aside, registered citizens are exercising their right to vote, and you approve of calling that a "threat"?
Ever heard of "audience"?? The letter was clearly written for a republican audience, and the use of the word 'threat' while a poor choice, was clearly hyperbole based on a comparison of the election to a battle. Anything that would cause them to 'lose' would be considered a 'threat'. I wouldn't read into it any further than that.

And really, Marxist?
After everything I've learned about Obama in the past two weeks, A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y.
Ayers? You have such a small repertoire.
Ayers is relavent, even more than Wright whether you like it or not. No way you would let a friendship like that with McCain fly. And niether would I. The fact that you are letting that fly tells my a lot about you.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
very true kitty...but not like this, and not for a totally inexperienced candidate.

Humphrey had 26 years in local, state, federal and then vice presidential offices.

and RFK, who they were probably most passionate about, had 9 years of experience at the department of justice,(internal security section),and as a prosecutor in New York, assistant and chief counsel to the Senate sub-committee on investigations, then chief counsel to the Senate Labor rackets committee...

then ran JFK's campaign, was Attorney General of the US, and literally the voice in the ear of the president on virtually every major issue due to his closeness, and was instrumental in running a gauntlet of absolutely critical national issues such as Civil Rights, Organized Crime, the Soviets, and lord knows what else, not to mention remained a member of the cabinet for nearly a year with LBJ...

and THEN became a Senator in 1965...

I would say still, if this was a white candidate with Obama's exact same record, most of the african americans would have gone with Hillary...a known political commodity....and a white "Obama" would not be 4 days away from the presidency.
I gotta disagree with you, Flashter.
Black America has been traditionally on the outside of mainstream politics, and have supported unknown, untested candidates who have a resonating message before.

Even pulling political leaders from the ranks of pastorship, as in Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Andrew Young, to name two. Barbara Jordan.
Richard Nixon had broad Black support beginning with his first term as a congressman in the 1950s, largely due to his affiliation with the NAACP. Jackie Robinson, Martin Luther King, Sr., and many other Blacks, supported Nixon over Kennedy in 1960 due to his early recognition of civil rights leaders.

Also, Hillary would have never found support with die hard Black Southern and Mid Western conservatives--for some, merely because she wears pants.

I will concede, though, that Hillary may have been the Democratic nominee without Obama, maybe not if Edwards stayed in the race. However, I think there are several reasons why Obama beat her out nationally.

Plus, if race is preeminent? Wouldn't Cynthia McKinney be the next choice?

Bill Clinton. :biggrin1:
:08: I forgot. He was the longest sitting governor at the time, but unknown nationally.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That county chairman is an ignorant moron.

"The blacks" are going to vote for Obama? *shock*
There's a black man running for POTUS? Why didn't I know about this? :confused: . . . :tongue:
I actually found the comments about soc. profs to be more offensive.
They were shockingly stupid.

Lucky for us he's only a county chairman. Nevertheless, he should be ushered out of Florida on a pole.
:confused:
Do you mean, run out of town on a rail?

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Obama started to distance himself from Wright at least a year ago. He didn't have to denounce him publicly until after the situation was made public.

Preemptive arguments:
1. Wright, the attention whore, claimed that it was all planned and that he and Obama are still close friends. They are not.
2. Many people have joined groups only to find out that they don't share common interests. Palin's (former?) preacher is anti-semetic, but I don't hold that against her.

Correction: NObama played up his friend and “mentor” until his friend and “mentor of 20 years” was exposed.

Preemptive Arguments Debunked:

1. NObama, the attention whore used his friend and “mentor” to help get elected several times in the past and only distanced himself after the Information Age exposed his “mentor” of 20 years as a sicko.

NObama now thinks the Information Age really sucks for exposing his affiliation with his “mentor” and “role model” of 20 years and one that sat on NObama’s African American Religious Leadership Committee claiming among other wacky shit the U.S. Government invented AIDS to eradicate “people of color”

2. Sarah Palin’s a well-known friend of Jews/Israel and didn’t become one recently. Noted Rabbi Yehuda Levin: ”To compare that to Obama sitting by Pastor Wright for twenty years, and all the things he said, is really ridiculous, and it's just a sign of how desperate the liberals are because of the amazing success of the Palin phenomenon."

Orthodox Rabbi Extols Gov. Palin - Catholic Online

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You, my 99% gay friend, show all the classic signs of a sore loser.

Florida Boy

You, my “Unsure” friend show all the classic signs of denial.

Somebody exposing NObama for the trash he is (NObama: “I appoint “Whitey invented AIDS to eradicate people of color conspiracy theorist, and general racist-fruitcake extraordinaire Reverend Wright to my African American Religious Leadership Committee” ….” Oh fuck!, The information Age exposed our lunacy ….. no problem, the liberals are gullible enough to support me even though I have zero experience and very close relationships with lunatics who I call “role models” and “mentors”) is not a “sore loser”. I’m what you call one of the “What The Fuck are you clowns thinking” set. :wink: