The Threatening Scent of Fertile Women

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by fire77, Jun 16, 2011.

1. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My husband found this article on the NYTimes website a while back and we ended up agreeing and disagreeing on few points. I am interested to know your thoughts both men and women about this study.

some of the points my husband and I disagreed on was the fact this research didn't include if the scent of fertile women would effect gay people and the recommendation at the end about not to look at others during ovulation to keep the relationship.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/science/22tier.html?_r=1

2. redbear52

redbear52 New Member

Interesting article.

I agree that women tend to be more sexually attractive (at least to me) during the most fertile days in their menstrual cycle. I had always attributed that to the fact that most (at least in my experience) tend to be hornier then. They tend to telegraph that through subtle, and sometimes not so subtle flirtation, how they dress, and their body language. But pheromones may play a part.

The study seems to have been set up so that the woman's appearance remained constant, and she made little eye contact let alone flirtation. My question would be whether it is really possible for someone to completely neutralize their body language consciously.

I had a lover who confessed to me years ago that she used her own vaginal scent like perfume as an attractant to men and had girlfriends who did the same. She was a nurse and quite intelligent. Of course, I asked if she had done that with me (because I had never consciously been aware of any such fragrance) and she said she had. I asked her if it worked. She replied that she thought it worked quite well for most men, especially if it was during her fertile period which was when she was looking to get laid the most and she was most apt to do it. She said that some men seemed to her to be immune but that it had worked very well on me.

As for men downgrading the attractiveness of fertile females or avoiding eye contact with them when in a committed relationship, I am dubious. I have generally been quite faithful (with rare exceptions) when I have been in a relatively long-term relationship with a woman even when there was no spoken commitment. But I never ceased noticing and appreciating sexy women when I was.

Another thing that I always found striking was that women always seemed to be more attracted to me when I was in a relationship with a woman and getting laid regularly. The less I was actively looking around, the more women seemed to notice me. I always thought that this was that I perhaps telegraphed more confidence through body language, or perhaps appeared more aloof and therefore less attainable to other women. Maybe it was just because I looked less desperate. But I wonder if women are not subconsciously aware of another woman's scent on a man?

3. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes I do agree with you about the setup, not making eye contact and no flirtation made me think how can the study be correct if they didn't let the women behave normal.

4. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is precisely why the study is more credible than it might have been. They attempted to create a controlled situation in which the woman herself could not influence the results.

5. D_Sam Rockswell

D_Sam Rockswell New Member

Extremely cool article. For some reason though bad touch keeps repeating in my head lol.

6. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i've always gotten perved up by the scent of a woman at the height of her cycle. the attraction is a bit more aggressive/possessive than my usual lady-perv.

other oddity.. i've always know my preggers friends were with baby-bunker-squatter before they did. something about their scent changed about two-three weeks into pregnancy.

7. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:
    I found the entire article rather interesting. It would def explain both my and my wifes fluctuating sexual urges. Right after her period it gets awful sexy at home! And now I can figure out when that is and be prepared! Shoot, she's the one who showed me! Lucky man am I!

Draft saved Draft deleted