The top 30 greatest Gay actors results...

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
30 Greatest Gay Actors | Sound On Sight

Since it is not entirely finished...who would want to put in the final results...while it was already decided with the others, but still incomplete at #18 with Sal Mineo, which actor do you want to see get more recognition. You don't have to agree with the results so far...but which actor deserves most of the credit.

What would be your top 30 Greatest Gay actors by far...it doesn't be accurate, but what would be your personal choices?

mikey41

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One actor so far comes to mind and he is John Barroman. Talented and very handsome; his partner is a fortunate man.

TOP9X7

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
yeah, tons of stories about him, lived with Randolph Scott until the studio told them to find other arrangements, when asked if she ever bedded him, Mae West said: " no he bats for the other team", married to Dyan Cannon, who is mute on the subject, and had his daughter....but like many gay actors (John Travolta, Paul Newman, Tommy boy...) he married and had children

TOP9X7

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Liberace once sued a London tabloid who printed he was gay, and won. There are many gay actors who know they would not be offered as many roles if it were known to be gay. I can't understand why someone like, say, Merv Griffen, who never had to worry about losing movie parts and who could have done some good for the millions of closeted men and women in the world, wouldn't come out and shed some light on this situation. It's too late for Merv, but there are plenty of others. Tab Hunter is an example of an actor who came out in his later years.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Liberace once sued a London tabloid who printed he was gay, and won. There are many gay actors who know they would not be offered as many roles if it were known to be gay. I can't understand why someone like, say, Merv Griffen, who never had to worry about losing movie parts and who could have done some good for the millions of closeted men and women in the world, wouldn't come out and shed some light on this situation. It's too late for Merv, but there are plenty of others. Tab Hunter is an example of an actor who came out in his later years.

Good to know, thanks!

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, they only got from #30 with Cary Grant to #18 with Sal Mineo, so this list is still a little incomplete and unfinished at the moment. But what about John Dall? Probably best known for Hitchcock's Rope and Spartacus.

paintact

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Betty White was recently on Joy Behar's show, and basically outed Cary Grant (whether he was gay or bi). They were talking about something like gays and Hollywood, and Betty let it slip. Joy was like, "Cary Grant was gay?"... Betty quickly backtracked and was like "or so I've heard..." with this funny expression on her face. Like many other big names (dead or alive), I've heard that if you state that in the press, Grant's estate or whoever (his family) has gone after folks...they pull the whole "saying someone was gay" is slander/libel, like it's this horrible insult that will destroy someone's rep (particularly for those that have already passed on). Nice message Hollywood continues to send, isn't it... ;)

From what I learned, the more defensive the individual or people who know (and protect) him/her get when the subject of sexuality comes up...or they sue for someone saying it...or in the case of some people saying "it's my private business" or "no comment", or especially with these guys that always have to talk about how they pick up girls/love girls so damn much to the point where it's like they're trying too hard... that's basically a warning sign right there. It's like basically acknowledging it without saying it.

Last edited:

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
yeah, tons of stories about him, lived with Randolph Scott until the studio told them to find other arrangements, when asked if she ever bedded him, Mae West said: " no he bats for the other team", married to Dyan Cannon, who is mute on the subject, and had his daughter....but like many gay actors (John Travolta, Paul Newman, Tommy boy...) he married and had children

How do you know this information you have chosen to share with the world? Please advise some facts to back up your words.

Maybe he/they were/are BISEXUAL? Maybe they are, in fact, straight?

And there is no way that I will ever believe Paul Newman is gay unless he says he is. Close to slander here...

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm less interested in how they know someone is gay than how they determine greatness.

On the other hand, I have a lot of straight actor friends who often get categorized as gay simply because they have no problem playing gay roles. And then of course there are a lot of actors, Kevin Spacey comes to mind, who might never come out and will deny the "rumors" of their homosexuality until the bitter end.