The top 30 greatest Gay actors results...

billybones

Superior Member
Media
I don't think gay actors should be defined by how attractive they are. For me, there is only one actor that deserves to be at no. 1 because of his acting ability. Ian McKellen. I'm not at all attracted to him, but I love to watch him act.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
William Haines. What about him? He is more remembered for being a lovable silent film star goofball, but other than those roles, he was a well-known interior designer for such stars like Joan Craword and Carole Lombard. And one of the few Hollywood stars to be openly gay and have a partner, Jimmie Shield, throughout his whole life. He also refused to be toyed with MGM execs or Louis B. Mayer to be married to a woman, declining to ever continue acting and he never looked back. He was more sucessful in interior designs than he was at acting. He made the right choice.

RichardKimble

Experimental Member
Media
I just finished reading "Cary Crant The Lonely Heart" by Charles Higham and Roy Moseley, and Grant's and Scott's bisexuality and living arrangements are confirmed. They shared a home in Griffith Park, LA for a number of years, and remained friends throughout their lives, despite both having gotten married. Grant married five times, and had many issues with women -most likely over his conflicted homosexual tendencies. It is rather sad that Grant had to live a tortured private life - if he had come out, his career, based on his appeal to female fans, would have been over. Oddly enough, Grant was confident enough in his early years with Scott that he would show up at parties and other events with Scott as his date. He also dated young studio unknowns to keep up the front. Very strange dynamics. There is a photo, which I searched the net for but could not find, of Grant and Scott in the kitchen of their home, both wearing aprons and drying dishes together. If someone can locate it, it's an hysterical pic.

Despite any actor or actress being gay or straight (their greatness should be based on their skills and acting abilities, not whether they are gay, bi, straight, etc.), this list purports to state the top 30 "greatest" gay actors. Unfortunately, it lists actors who happen to be openly or closeted, gay/bi, but misses the mark when it comes to truly defining and including "great" actors. Cary Grant was a great actor with expert comedic timing, Charles Laughton a fine dramatic actor, John Mahoney is also an excellent actor. But a list which includes Neil Patrick Harris (I applaud the actor for coming out, but he has done nothing so far in his acting career to include him with the likes of truly great actors such as Grant, Laughton, etc.), falls short and fails miserably. Finally, a list that puts Montgomery Clift at #28, is absurd.

Last edited:

captinego

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm just glad Neil Patrick Harris made it on the list. Although he should be higher than #29 IMO... :p

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chuck O'Conner the rifle man! He did some gay flicks before Hollywood discover him.

I met Robert Reed shortly before his demise, and he had the oddest looking blue eyes that seem unreal.

TOP9X7

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One actor who hasn't been mentioned here is Spencer Tracy. A recent bio talks about how the actor struggled with alcoholism. A devout Catholic, conflicted by guilt about his homosexuality, Tracey lived out his life in George Cukar's guest house where he was often visited and cared for by his devoted friend Kate Hepburn, and by a male friend who saw to other needs.