The trough

hung:
Several evenings ago I enjoyed a casual "Italian Sub" in a pub style eating establishment in a small College Town in Central Georgia. During the course of our stay here I visited the Men's Room. This facility was not in a large chain style resturant and the owner had recycled an old building. The Room was rather small with one stool and one trough. No dividers, no lock on the door. Very casual and everyone used the facility with out acting out as shy. The locals and also the visitors, such as I did our business and went on our way.

Then recently I also attended a wedding in the MidWest and during the course of the dance at a ballroom which was build in 1927 we all used a Men's Room with a trough about 20 foot long. This was a full service wedding dance with adequate beer so we all used the trough quite often. No reservations. Young and old used this for number one. Of course, with only one enclosed stool, we usually had no choice if we wanted to eliminate quickly.

I post this because I consider these incidents as evidence that our shyness of a decade or two ago is slowing going away. Are we becoming more open about our sexuality? I think so. I would like to hear and see other responses on this subject. Thanks.

brad2002: I was at a pub lasst weekend where the mens room had one toilet and a trough for about three. No dividers or stalls and very crowded. I was using the trough, linger a bit in hopes that someone would come in and see my low hanging meat. I wasn't hard ot anything, I just like to be seen. I also like to peek. No luck that night.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Trough urinals seem to be a regional phenomenon.  In the North East, where I grew up, they were quite rare.  I can only remember 2 bars in New York City that had them.  Here in California, they are quite common--  Not only the 4-foot long ones in small rest rooms, but huge long ones in some sports stadiums.  I know of a few places that don't even have the trough, just a tiled or cement wall, with a gutter on the bottom, that you piss against.  In public restrooms ("cottages") in England, this construction is very common. (I once ended up in a huge group jerk-off after pissing in the cottage in Jesus Green in Cambridge.) I think it's a combination of local plumbing codes and concepts of modesty.  Various styles are depecited below.

urinal.jpeg

urinal.jpg

urinal.jpg

urinal.jpg

shoes: i was over in china for a semester and the trough is quite common over there. in fact, nudity between men doesnt seem to be a big deal over there at all. i've even seen people in the stalls without closing the door (for a number 2...)

i guess its just their attitude over there... no problems with guys checking each other out like over here...

HUGE_Nuts: Damn...anyone in the Sacramento area know of any here???? I need to take a leak!

Mighty_Joe: When I lived in Mississippi there was this club where college crowds and some roughnecks hung out. The men's room had a large trough against one wall and you could see it from one of the pool table. I couldn't shoot pool for watching the other balls!

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=HUGE_Nuts link=board=meetgreet;num=1043933733;start=0#4 date=01/30/03 at 17:39:38]Damn...anyone in the Sacramento area know of any here????  I need to take a leak![/quote]

Sorry, no! But you can check out photos of various urinals, public and private, and search by city and country, on this site: http://www.urinal.net

Of particular interest is the section on FEMALE public urinals-- I never knew such a thing existed!

Alligator_Jack: we have troughs at school, no one cares, a lot of people turn more to the corner tho, rather than in the middle, but most dont care really

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
[quote author=ericbear link=board=meetgreet;num=1043933733;start=0#2 date=01/30/03 at 10:59:12]"...Trough urinals seem to be a regional phenomenon... I think it's a combination of local plumbing codes and concepts of modesty..."[/quote]

ericbear, I think you summed it up very well.

In my area (southeast U.S.) I have only seen them in rather old public buildings (circa 1940's thru 1960's).

'Can't recall seeing ANY in brand-new public construction ---anywhere in my area. Even in renovation projects, typically the "troughs" are done away with entirely.

Curtis: The most notable trough urinals in the midwest are at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

As others have pointed out, you don't see restrooms built that way today. I don't know if it's because of plumbing codes or contemporary standards of modesty.

The little dividers between urinals are becoming more common.

Curtis

aquaman875: There should be a law mandating troughs at stadiums and arenas. The goal is to get people in and out quickly and you can get about twice as many people peeing at one time with troughs as you can with urinals.

BIGBOYDAVE: I Wish I could agree But as of the last few years I have noticed less and less troughs also More and more partitions are going up between urinals Prudishiness seems much more prevelant especially in cities Check out any new mall - convention center - school - even public parks - pool complexes or sports facility even ferry boats u will see very few troughs but many more partitioned urinals and damnit they are placing them higher up to the consternation of all us big dicked dudes

ORCABOMBER: I haven't used one for years! Until I went to a McDonalds in the West End of London (ie, the rich area!)

brad2002: At Byrd Stadium at the U of MD, I was using a trough and a guy pulled up a few feet from me. I glanced over at hm and we said hi. I then realized it was Cal Ripken, Sr. I didn't see his stuff - not that I wanted to. Now, if it had been Cal, Jr. it would have been a different story.

HC: LOL to Brad2002. You could have found out if Cal Jr. really was the Iron Man.

As for myself, I have a problem called paruresis (shy bladder) which is a real pain in the ass. I can never use urinals, let alone a Wrigley Field trough, and sometimes can't even go in the stalls if people are in the restroom with me. The one time recently when I was forced to use a urinal at a night club, I had a guy next to me checking me out, and even called over to his friend washing his hands. Something to the effect of "holy shit, look what this guy is packing," which just added to the problem. I'm not homophobic in the true sense, but unwanted advances or just plain inappropriate comments aren't welcome. But then again, my urination problem is definitely not due to being shy, as I have no problem with taking communal showers. I suppose it's one of those things I'll never know, and just serve to annoy me.

B_circin867

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Every ferry on Puget Sound (WA) has a trough in the men's room. It holds about 3 men at a time. I left my car to go to the men's room. Two men got out of their truck and moved very fast. They got to the trough first. I did not join them. One said to the other: "We haven't gone since morning. Now it is 5 p.m. I am bursting." They started. At one minute they were still at it. Then 2, then 3. It was amazing. One stopped before the other who went on to a little past four minutes. They left. But I had such a hard on I couldn't go.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Every ferry on Puget Sound (WA) has a trough in the men's room. It holds about 3 men at a time. I left my car to go to the men's room. Two men got out of their truck and moved very fast. They got to the trough first. I did not join them. One said to the other: "We haven't gone since morning. Now it is 5 p.m. I am bursting." They started. At one minute they were still at it. Then 2, then 3. It was amazing. One stopped before the other who went on to a little past four minutes. They left. But I had such a hard on I couldn't go.

I must've really turned you on since you found this thread and posted to it and the last post was 8 years ago!

Happy trough watching!:biggrin1: