The True Average

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
If you search around to find out what the average size errect penis is, you will find that opinions differ greatly, from 5-8 inches infact.

What I would like to know is, what is the true average? If anyone has an idea of what it is, then please post it here, along with a website or sources to back your claim.

Thanks
I think your delusional if you think 8 could be an average.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I would think that guys who claim the average size is about 5 by 5 (give or take half an inch) WANT it to be that because THEY are about that size themselves. There's nothing wrong with that but I've never met anyone who thinks this is a true 'average'. I'm no expert but a length of 6 to 6.5 seems about right and a girth of about 5.5 to 6 '' would be reasonable. Pull a tape measure round any dick and you can make it whatever you want but a loosely held tape only reading 4.5 HAS to be a bit slim.
The average size being 5.1 inches has to do with the number of guys that are only three inches erect. While there aren't that many, it pulls the average down. I believe the most important figure is that an overwhelming majority of men, two thrids as I recall. fall between four and six inches. Dicks under four inches are considered small and below aveage and dicks above six inches are above average Even the surveys that had guys tell their dick size only had an average of 6.1 inches.

I recently read where a guy had a penis measuring slightly over eight inches as a young man. Now in his late eighties, he is only a little over six inches erect even though he can still get erect and ejaculate.

I've read where the average reaches it absolute top size usuallly in the early 30's and then begins to lose some in length very gradually over a period of time.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I recently read where a guy had a penis measuring slightly over eight inches as a young man. Now in his late eighties, he is only a little over six inches erect even though he can still get erect and ejaculate.

I've read where the average reaches it absolute top size usuallly in the early 30's and then begins to lose some in length very gradually over a period of time.
Neat, learn something every day.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm sure there is some kind of validity to some of these famous studies. I like to compare those figures to the dick sizes I've seen up close and personal....the average that my eyes have seen that way is 6 to 7 inches. The ones smaller and larger than that are fewer and more far between...but then again, i was never as active as most of my pals.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'd agree with txquis (BTW, where the HELL have YOU been??? :kiss: ). It's pretty laughable that so many people want to argue about how precisely scientific the studies were, and in turn question the accuracy, etc. Is there an absolute global average? Sure, line up every freakin' male for manditory measurements, and let the calculating begin. :rolleyes: The figures that I've seen most commonly is 5.5" to 6.5" (again, 6"). And the fact is, whether that "absolute" global average figures out to be 5.689732489743" or 6.232489732", when you see most guys, they fit in that general range, and when you see a guy in that range, you say, "he has an 'average' cock", so let's get over the overly priggish scientific zeal. :tongue:

AlbertCunning

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd agree with txquis (BTW, where the HELL have YOU been??? :kiss: ). It's pretty laughable that so many people want to argue about how precisely scientific the studies were, and in turn question the accuracy, etc. Is there an absolute global average? Sure, line up every freakin' male for manditory measurements, and let the calculating begin. :rolleyes: The figures that I've seen most commonly is 5.5" to 6.5" (again, 6"). And the fact is, whether that "absolute" global average figures out to be 5.689732489743" or 6.232489732", when you see most guys, they fit in that general range, and when you see a guy in that range, you say, "he has an 'average' cock", so let's get over the overly priggish scientific zeal. :tongue:

I've never seen studies claiming 6,5 inches as average, but several at under 5,5 inches.
It's no wonder then, that the 6 inches we grew up thinking was the average, could seem to turn out a bit exaggerated.
6 inches, of course, still being in the average range.
Perhaps even the VERY average range.

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is there truly a global average? It seems to me it would have to be a global average range. Maybe I've seen too many documentaries with naked men running around but there would seem to be a global average range like from 5 -7 or something like that. Maybe globalization has flattened the range, but there are still tall tribes and short tribes around.

I may be the village idiot on this but it still seems like on a tall man seven inches may be average while on a short man five inches may be average. This site is about the outliers. Yet I know that like boobs, dicks are secondary sexual characteristics and do not necessarily fit into the average range of proportion like other body parts.

Do we have to discuss body size when we're talking dick size?
I kind of agree on the tallness thing, although there are exceptions, as with all things. I'm 6'1 and 6 1/2", techinically that's a bit above average but having it on my taller than average body just makes it look very average.

lgej

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why don't we all just agree that it's between 5 and 6 inches? Is the vagina so sensitive that an extra half inch or so would add (or detract) significantly from the experience. Any "self-reported" statistics dealing with something like dick size creates skepticism in my mind anyway. I'm about 5.5 inches, but don't feel that I'd be able to deliver a better experience at 6 or a worse one at 5. Just a thought from a guy that always felt he was average in size, but gigantic in technique, intelligence, charm, etc. Oh yeah...and a guy whose wife loves him and his sexual prowess, after over 37 years of marriage.

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i think it's important to remember, too, that penis size really means two different things depending on the context. speaking in terms of "average" is really solely based on statistical comparison, either looking at it as the largest percent of the sample with a given size or the mathematical mean taken from the total sample. either way, it only means something in relation to the other penises. depending on the study, someone may be "average" but still considered to have a large penis. for instance, when your partner sees your penis and considers it to be big, do they say "wow, that's huge!" or "wow, that size deviates positively from the accepted statistical average!"?

i'm 7 inches long. by some studies, i'm on the large side of average. by others, i'm on the average side of large. ;) but every girl i've been with...and quite a few with whom i haven't, but who've seen me naked...have all said i have a large penis. numbers say i'm average, but people say i'm big. which matters more?

the problem with basing your perception of penis size on notions of statistical averages is that we're looking for some sort of empirical proof of a rather subjective matter. one girl might think you're the hugest cock she's ever had inside of her, while another might just consider it to be medium sized. and some might prefer the medium sized to the huge ones. but we've become so conditioned to NEED cold, hard (no pun intended) evidence that the perception of our partners that it's "big" or "the right size" or whatever isn't enough. we have to have numbers to back it up.

to put it another way...Kinsey and my last girlfriend both tell me i have a rather large cock. but it matters a lot more coming from the girlfriend. :)

steeler_999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Whenever this discussion comes up, the consensus always seems to be that the average length is about six inches. While it's true that we will probably never know for sure because there will never be a statistically valid study, my own statistically invalid observation over the years makes me think that the average length is at least seven inches, if not more. Over the last fifty years, the average height of men in the U.S. has increased by somewhere in the vicinity of two inches, so it's possible that the average penis length has also increased over the same time span.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Whenever this discussion comes up, the consensus always seems to be that the average length is about six inches. While it's true that we will probably never know for sure because there will never be a statistically valid study, my own statistically invalid observation over the years makes me think that the average length is at least seven inches, if not more. Over the last fifty years, the average height of men in the U.S. has increased by somewhere in the vicinity of two inches, so it's possible that the average penis length has also increased over the same time span.
People keep forgetting to average in those micro penises that do exist. Its like an average in math class. Oh I have a B I usually make an A or B on EVERY TEST. But then there was that test where the grade was a 30 and another test where the grade was a 50. All the tests were A's and B's except two, but the grade ends up being a C for that grading period.

So while a majority of men probably do have between 5.5 and a little over 6 inches, those few men with micro penises bring the average down.

There was once a small penis site. I saw pictures of men there with less than three inches erect penises. I was very surprised. Also, many men with micro penises don't let anyone see it so visualy it doesn't get averaged in many minds. (We only average what we see, which usually are guys at last five inches erect or more. The others are hidden.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Anecdotally, and I think I posted this somewhere here before, but couldn't find it. To a buddy that I got naked and hard with, I said, "Wow, that's huge, how big is it?"
He said, "just over 7, and a bit thick".
"No, c'mon, seriously."
"Yeah, really, it's just over 7. It's just that people lie so much about size now, that no one knows what a real 7 looks like anymore. I could easily lie and say 8 or 9, and no one would ever question me, but really, just over 7."

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anecdotally, and I think I posted this somewhere here before, but couldn't find it. To a buddy that I got naked and hard with, I said, "Wow, that's huge, how big is it?"
"No, c'mon, seriously."
"Yeah, really, it's just over 7. It's just that people lie so much about size now, that no one knows what a real 7 looks like anymore. I could easily lie and say 8 or 9, and no one would ever question me, but really, just over 7."

i've found this to often be true as well. hell, there's a comment on one of my pictures on here to that very effect. and i was talking once to a friend of mine who i'd messed around with one night and she noted how impressed she was by my size. out of curiousity, i asked her how big she thought it was. "I don't know...probably around 9 or 10 inches." I laughed and shot back with, "I like your answer better, because i'm only 7." she seemed astonished.

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"No, c'mon, seriously."
*wonders if he can claim he is 7 now*

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i've found this to often be true as well. hell, there's a comment on one of my pictures on here to that very effect. and i was talking once to a friend of mine who i'd messed around with one night and she noted how impressed she was by my size. out of curiousity, i asked her how big she thought it was. "I don't know...probably around 9 or 10 inches." I laughed and shot back with, "I like your answer better, because i'm only 7." she seemed astonished.
Yeah, lots of girls really seem to think that common sizes is 1-12 inches. It seems like in girls heads, everything is exagerated by at least an inch, and if it's thicker it'll be even bigger. It's more like rating system for them than measurement.

FrenumFellow

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
There are a fair number of threads on this site already on this subject, so you can find many references right here. As for anything definitive, good luck. There have been a fair number of studies done, but unfortunately, all of them have had problems with the methodology. Kinsey's is the most famouse. The Hite report from the 70's. The one sponsered by Trojan condoms (it was Trojan, wasn't it?). Studies done by Masters and Johnson. AllI can tell you, is that after reading through various reports, and analysing the various results, the range for approximately 80-90%of all men, regardless of nationality, religion, race, etc. etc., is approximately between 5-7 inches in length. Less data is available for girth, but from what little I have been able to glean, it appears that for the same percentage of men, the average girth ranges from 4-6". The mean value varies from 5-6, depending on the study. A few studies have reported a mean that is lower, approximately 4.5.

Well put.

The one study was sponsored by the condom maker Lifestyles.

There is a very straightforward presentation of much of the same date referred to in the Wikipedia article, at http://www.the-penis-website.com/size2.html

It seems pretty clear that while there is some variance between studies, the average penis length ranges about 5.5" - different studies come in less than half an inch above or below that number - and girth averages around 5" or slightly less. The subject has just never received a really thorough and definitive study, but it would be possible to be more precise with a large and varied enough sample, and some rigorous methodology.

FF

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
GIven that the data and studies done are incomplete, or have flaws, but seem to show at least a RANGE consistency of between 5-7", with a sigma (onse standard deviation) of about an inch, and a fairly broad topped bell curve, so that the mean is hard to classify much closer than the sigma, how about we just agree that you and 80% of the rest of the guys in the world share roughly the same penis size, if you are between 5-7"? There IS enough data, I suspect, from the studies done to at least agree on THAT.:biggrin1: