The Truth About Speedos

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Lex, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Okay, so Steve26 and I were talking undies and shit the other day. He is an avid swimmer and I enjoy a good swim as well. Anyways, I was sharing that over the weekend I tried on a lot of different trunks to wear this summer to Rehoboth--square cuts, bikini/speedos (with varying side widths). I eventually settled on a black/white square cut and an aqua speedo with 3-inch sides.

Both fit me fine. I am a shower (4.5x4.5 soft with big galls that stay close to my body and push everything up and out).

Steve26 is about the same size I am (soft and hard) and wears a speedo everyday to swim.

Many here have said that they can't/don't wear speedos for various reasons.

What gives?

2. Imported

Gold Member

gamma_phi: I don't wear them b/c i'm self conscious. I'm not too fond about being seen in speedos sporting a *ahem* bulge, and the ever so impeccable timing of my friend deciding to lengthen and thicken on its own can be embarrasing to me. I'm not too comfortable with my body so I don't show it much. But that's JUST me. Then there's seeing a bulge larger than mine that puts mine to shame but, that's another topic (HA!).

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

With Speedos I wouldn't have a desperate problem with my 6" softie alone but they don't have room for my ballsac. Very large balls together with all that extra skin from being low hangers make it impossible to keep them confined. I would end up looking like I had fleshy wings hanging out of my Speedo between my legs - to say nothing of the poor balls trying to escape.

I prefer to freeball in boardshorts.

4. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since Lex has drafted me into this thread ... LOL ... I'll second him in saying that I think Speedos tend to get some undeserved flak around here.

I speak as someone who wears a Speedo to swim laps, not as someone who chooses one as beach attire. If you are swimming laps strenuously, the blood is flowing to your muscles and springing a woody becomes HIGHLY unlikely -- I'm not even sure it's physiologically possible, especially in the size ranges we tend to discuss here. So -- at least based upon my 10+ years of lap-swimming, the fear about springing a boner in a Speedo seems dramatically overstated.

What's more, when swimming laps one is usually only really *seen* during the 30 seconds or so when going from locker room to pool; once you're in the water, I think even the boxiest swim trunks won't help you if you're THAT big that anyone outside the pool can still clearly discern your bulge. ;)

Finally -- this may just be my personal preference, but as a male I'd much rather be seen to have something of a bulge than to appear not to have one at all. The Speedo-related concern that "OMG, someone might surmise that I have a penis!" has always been a bit lost on me.

I think some guys here are (understandably) uncomfortable wearing a Speedo because of their overall body build, BUT ... if that's the reason for a guy's apprehension, it's *not* the size of his penis that's preventing him from donning a Speedo.

Steve ;)

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I'm gonna work my nerve up to wearing my aqau speedo on the bear beach at Rehoboth this summer.

Until then--it'll be my square cuts.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

Exactly. I'd be much more comfortable in a ponch-o than a speed-o. :)

7. sflatintop

sflatintop New Member

Albums:
    I tend to shy away from them because of the level of detail they show. I will wear them, but I definitely have time and place issues. For swimming around people I see every day, I prefer to wear something that doesn't advertise my foreskin.

8. txquis

Gold Member

Rehoboth? I've spent a few summers there with the ever-evil ex.
    Neither of us wore speedos.

I certainly have worn one as a kid...and i'm wondering why i wouldnt do it now.
    Well...
    Speaking for the over 35 crowd, i think Speedos (the traditional bikini type)
    have a stigma about them. In "my day" they were what unstylish people wore...
    they were just not cool.
    The only speedo i saw on the beaches of south texas were worn by
    50 something, overweight Mexican men, with gold chains around their necks.

I'm just telling you what i grew up seeing a plethora of...and i didnt want
    to wear what they wore.

I'll admit a Speedo is hot on a highschool swimteam.
    Perhaps I'm saying that they are for the very, very young.
    The very, very fit....
    or the very, very oblivious older folk.
    hmmmmmm....

I wonder if it IS a modesty issue?
    I dont usually mind showing off my bulge.

9. RICKY_27

RICKY_27 Well-Known Member

Albums:

HEY STEVE!

Welcome back--long time no see! Rumors of your death have been greatly exaggerated! LOL.

I gotta agree with you about wearing Speedos for lap swimming--I've been doing that since college. Those of us who are lucky enough to have a 'swimmers build' should wear Speedos BUT dudes such as TXQUIS describes should definetly be advised to wear AMPLE trunks!

RICKY_27
    :D

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Well, I'm lookinf forward to seeing some musclebears in speedos this summer.
    YUM!

And--I'd only wear the speedo at the Bear Beach in Rehoboth. I wear trunks around family.

11. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

I love individuals who make long range plans, especially re. their lower torso's coverings. It won't be long at all before LexMan will be slipping into those aqau speedos and making lots of onlookers smile. :D

12. txquis

Gold Member

I'll gladly gawk
    :)

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Aside from trying to stuff my bag into a speedo....it's my "ponch" that keeps me out of 'em. NO ONE needs to see that! :lol:

14. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Txquis and Roy--I should warn you--I am usually completely unaware of being cruised from a distance.

And if you actually said something to me, you just might get a rise outta me. Who knows?

15. sflatintop

sflatintop New Member

Albums:
    I bit the bullet and added my speedo pic to my photo album.

16. Pappy

Pappy Member

At 5' 11", 135 pounds with an 8x6 softie I just don't think I would have the right look for a pair of speed-o's. I would look like a toothpick that has a large bump. I'll stick to my board shorts.

17. Imported

Gold Member

Dan: At the beach I always were a bikini style suit, as around 50% of the guys there are doing likewise, at the pools in my hometown everyone wears baggy shorts so I go for the squarecut style the rare times I do swim there.

This may have changed now, but in the past I found swimwear actually made by Speedo is useless for larger guys like us, most (all?) of them seem to have a flat front with no room to spare and things tend to bulge out where they shouldn't, what is needed when you require more space is a swimsuit with a full front seam.

18. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree, Dan -- have always found that Speedo-type suits (and I don't mean *only* Speedo brand, as I've also worn Arena, Hind, etc., over the years) are most accommodating for us bigger guys when they have a seam in front.

Steve

19. Imported

Gold Member

lighthouse: Definitely need the ones with the seam in the front. The flat ones were probably designed by someone oblivious to the needs of some parts of society.

20. jeepwranglerboi

jeepwranglerboi New Member

I'll admit that I own a few bikini and square cuts but I honestly normally just wear board shorts or nothing at all. I haven't had very good luck finding Speedo type bathing suits that hold everything comfortably. If it doesn't have a pouch up front I cannot wear it. I am not gonna put my cock up along my hip bone either. I just find that I am normally pretty disappointed in what Speedo type swimsuits I get.

Last year I found the hottest low rise briefs from LASC. They were red and had a grey insert on both sides with a little Neptune with the LASC logo on one side. It had a button waist to make it look like little shorts I guess. Anyway, as soon as I took them outta the box I stripped down and put them on. I was so disappointed that they didn't fit. There just wasn't enough pouch to confine The Dragon. The button at the waist literally just barely covered up the base of my penis. God forbid I get an erection in them! So, like I said I normally stick with board shorts or nothing at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted