The verizon strike

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not a verizon customer. Doesn't effect me personally.

If I lost service for two days, for any reason, I would move to a different carrier. I'm generally supportive of unions and the occasional strike, but when it starts to harm (if lack of cell service can be called "harm") average people in their daily lives then they have gone too far. They either need to lower their demands or just be replaced. There are plenty of people who would love to have those jobs "as-is" and do them just as well. A low unemployment number doesn't mean there aren't 10 people behind you clawing at each other to be the first in line to take your spot.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Has anyone been affected yet?

I've been without service for two days now. It's driving me nuts!!!!

I don't blame the union but as soon as the contract is over I'm switching to someone else

Verizon is only my long distance carrier so a baby bell services the land lines. I had Verizon cell phone service when I was working and needed a cell phone and an aircard for my computer. They were great, but costly. Typing this I realize I could cut them
I'm not a verizon customer. Doesn't effect me personally.

If I lost service for two days, for any reason, I would move to a different carrier. I'm generally supportive of unions and the occasional strike, but when it starts to harm (if lack of cell service can be called "harm") average people in their daily lives then they have gone too far. They either need to lower their demands or just be replaced. There are plenty of people who would love to have those jobs "as-is" and do them just as well. A low unemployment number doesn't mean there aren't 10 people behind you clawing at each other to be the first in line to take your spot.

Remember folks, it is okay to stand up for yourself but not when it is inconvenient to someone else. How generous.

Reactions: 950483

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is why unions have had such a difficult time keeping hold in the US; it's always so easy to blame the workers.
Neither of the two original posters here made any mention of the BS Verizon is pulling to lower benefits, hours and pay of the workers, all while the CEO is raking in more than $18,000,000.00 in salary.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
EVERY strike will affect customers. To demand unions should lower their demands, if their strike afcects others, would mean to make strikes useless...

Yes, there probably is all the time another person who would do the job for the same or even lower standards...
But think about "we are the 99%", "fighting the 1%", the rising inequality, the decline of the middle class... or what ever...
If you really think we need to support the middle class, you will have to support the right to strike!

And btw. if you switch your provider everytime you get problems because of a strike, you will have to switch every few month...
Change if you don't like the service, or if you think they are too expensive

I'm not being funny but.. (proceeds to say something decidedly 'funny').

I'm not racist but.. (proceeds to say something that can only be described as racist).

You cannot purport to not mind / support the unions, and then go on to say that you do not support the unions or the workers!

Scab!
- A person who refuses to strike or join a trade union or who takes the place of a striking worker.

D

deleted15807

As a former Verizon employee I can say Verizon has been at the absolute forefront of wage suppression in the US and the exporting of jobs offshore. 80/20 was the rule when I worked there. 80% software development in India, 20% in the US. Relentless rounds of RIF's (reduction in force). If you missed one, stand-by your number was coming. Anything to empower the working class (everyone not in the executive suite) I am for!