the VOTE

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Nov 7, 2006.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I've just cast mine.

It's such a lovely little ritual, n'est-ce pas?

Makes me feel all gooey and cuddly and warm. Now if only those irascible damned Iraqis would do as their told!!:mad: :rolleyes:

2. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Damned is surely a relative perspective.

When do the results come through?

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Noteworthy observation LPD. I'm fairly confident I can rely on your defintion in which I can take some good comfort?

Oh the arseholes in the local media will take the better part of the evening to give any indication. Here it's but noon. Polls close at eight o'clock here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts so I suspect there will be no real projection until shortly before then.

One good thing? Those endless partisan advertisements will be finally removed from television view! Hurrah!!

It's curious how all the Democrats have equated "bad Republican" with the indefatigable Mr. Bush in an effort to illustrate their worthiness. Some change from two years ago eh?

I guess pointless wars do not popularity make.

And that dear friend is proof-positive that the pendulum's on its inevitable way back to the less absolute side of the tall clock case.:smile:

I do wish our Rainbow/Green Party Candidate Grace Ross would win the governor's race but alas will never be. I cast my vote for Deval Patrick in any and all effort to insure that our "Anita Bryant du jour" Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healy had no chance of gaining said office.

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm going to unload whatever progressive amunition I have in this red state I live in :AR15firing:! I don't support Green party candidates because they are largely funded by the GOP, and I would spit on their money before taking it! That said I love the Green party message, but alas I am a Chicago democrat who actually likes Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reed. Screw the right wing judges too... I've got all of their numbers, and they will not get my vote! Rock the Vote!
    :usa2:

5. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Loved voting, this time in a blue state for the first time in decades. I suspect that I actually voted for someone who will win, for once.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I enjoyed voting as well. I took my kids with me so they could see the process.

7. Ummagumma

Ummagumma New Member

My mother's a teacher, and when I noticed she wasn't working today, I asked why... She told me that because her school system uses it's buildings to house voting booths, they had to close on account of the student's safety.

As I went to vote earlier, I noticed a few kids out, and seen some with their parents while in line. I've since learned that school's out in all the neighboring cities here. I guess I just find this odd since I never had election day off only a few years ago. Anyone else notice this... or is it just another case of ohio insanity?

8. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

In MD, schools have always been used for elections. This day has always been a free day off for students.

9. Ummagumma

Ummagumma New Member

I see... I can remember, while attending elementary, middle, and high school, how on voting days there'd be a constant flow of regular adults coming in and out of the school, while the rest of us students walked to and from class. I guess, looking back now, that that really is asking for trouble. A good thing, not insanity.

10. Tsimshan

Tsimshan New Member

I voted for the Green Party Candidate in Alaska for U.S House and for Tony Knowles(D) for Governor. I don't understand this concern about the Green Party accepting contributions from Republicans. This happens often enough between Republicans and Democrats that it shouldn't be an issue.

Lawsuits by Democrats against the Green Party is far more ludicrous and prevents third parties from ever having a chance to become influential in American politics.

11. DiegoID

DiegoID New Member

I gave up voting for the Green party after I voted for Nader in 2000. I'm just glad I live in CA and the electoral votes went to Gore anyway. As far as mid term election results go I'm pretty patient. I'll see what the Daily Show presents tonight, and just get the results tomorrow. Not really much else to do except vote, and wait. Hopefully we'll get rid of the Governator, but somehow I doubt it's going to happen.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

I voted today too. It would have felt better if I had any confidence at all that these horrid machines were "clean", but anyone who saw the HBO special knows better.

("Hacking Democracy"- I tried to post a link, but I'm in an internet cafe and the computer won't let me)

Anyway, I felt good about at least trying to do my part to claen up the mess, I guess time will tell today. I'm off to find a television to watch this on, hope you all are well and I should be back online at home in another week or so. I'm currently in a debate with Time Warner cable though, and they don't seem to have very clear records of three years ago, but they claim I owe them an ungoldy amount of money. I'll probably have to file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission if they don't offer to negotiate with me. Wish me luck.

13. dags

dags New Member

I voted too. They use the schools here in Minnesota also but the kiddies did'nt get free pass today :yeah: . Just have to wait until tonight to find out. I hope people get out and vote.

14. palmit

palmit Member

15. Gisella

Gold Member

:dance:

Thank you!!!! For voting BLUE!!!

16. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Me = voter.

Me Voted. Good.

Me-Vote-Good.

Me Love My Government.

Hurray Government...

I vote how they tell me to because thats the only way to help my government. And My Country.

I skipped school to vote. Is that okay, skipping school to vote?

They used the middle school as the voting "area" thing, and they didnt let the kids out, so I hdta battle against 3 foot tall monkeys.

I hadta kill a few, you know, snap a few necks, break a few skulls.

17. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very observative Tsimshan... yes the Greens get as much hell as the dems can legally throw at them. that's because they are misguided idealists. The dems are doing fairly well tonight with running conservative candidates. The party chose to move to the center under Howard Dean's leadership and it has paid off. A move to the left would have been disastrous. The Green party is just... well... ahead of it's time! The world is not enlightened enough to benefit from the Green party's excellent message, we're just not ready yet.

18. agnslz

Gold Member

My state switched to all paper ballots this year. Before that, there was a hodgepodge of voting systems across our state. Here in the county that I live in, we had electronic voting machines until just very recently.

I would sooner vote for a Republican than vote for a Green! In fact, I did just that today. I voted almost completely Democratic except in the race for my local sheriff. The Democrat in that race was somewhat of a crackpot. The head of the New Mexico Green Party endorsed the incumbent Republican U.S. representative from my area even though that same representative is about as far from a Green as you can get. I never have and never will take the Greens seriously and will never consider voting for them.

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ewww. I'm sorry to hear that, Stronzo. It must have left a nasty taste in your mouth. Unfortunately, that's how politics goes. Vote for the middle of three evils, so that the most evil has less of a chance. Ugh.

At least Pennsylvania came to their senses, huh?

20. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I voted for my Republican sherrif as well, I figure that if my house hasn't been busted in on by now... he's a keeper! I get so damned frustrated with conservatives sometimes... but I know and love a lot of them, so my hatred is tempered with reality! The democrat in my sherrif's race was a crackpot as well. Great post Agnslz!

Draft saved Draft deleted