The War on Women: a culture war in the US

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PerfectlySexy, Apr 9, 2011.

1. PerfectlySexy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I didn't want the thread in the Women's Issues section to be diverted from it's purpose but I wanted to respond to this:

I wouldn't classify it as stupidity. This is a culture war, and it's all about getting women back in their "proper place" and to do so women must be made to suffer the consequences of an active sex life and not have independent access to healthcare services. Although it was claimed that this was about abortion the Republicans targeted women's health clinics that do not provide abortions thereby exposing that lie. And we learned from Senator's Kyl's spokesperson today that his statement on the floor of the senate about Planned Parenthood "was not intended to be a factual statement." Yes that's a direct quote.

2. dude_007

Gold Member

I don't think there has been a time in US history when there hasn't been culture war. However conservative the country tries to swing, eventually the progressive ideology of our nation shines through. I mean, we do have a mulatto President, and soon after that, following the historical pattern, it will be a woman.

3. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Albums:
    There is a war on men, too. I would say men have the least status of any other time in history, which was a necessary adjustment, and is now mostly payback.

There is also a war on small children, as they have little right in the determination of their placement regarding forster homes and who get legal guardianship when they are abused by their parents.

There is a war on parents.

There is a war on monirity groups of certain ethnic varieties.

There is a war on animals by researchers and those inhumanely trap mice.

There is a war on mosquitoes.

There is a war on gas prices.

The word "war" is emotionall-charged, isn't it?

4. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    War on Women??? LOL, you've got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

Whoever started that phrase is an idiot.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Either that (which I highly doubt), or someone who recognizes that there is a major push going on in our country right now focusing on the reproductive rights of women. With several bills introduced over the last year that try to unreasonably limit or outlaw abortion and defund Planned Parenthood, combined with the extreme actions of Pro Lifers over the last few years which include open assassinations of abortion doctors to the illegal seizure and/or posting of personal data & medical records of women who have received or considered getting an abortion, what should the OP have called it?

6. citr

citr New Member

The best part about this post is the username.

7. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My user name has nothing to do with women or my post in this thread. And it certainly didn't have anything to do with either when I chose it years ago.

Is "citr" code for dumbass? Or do you just make yourself look like that normally.

#7 AlphaMale, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  8. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So I gather from your post that you have just as much power as I do when it comes down to this country's government, laws, and regulations - which is absolutely none. The difference between me and you is that I'm not crying a river about it.

And last time I checked, it takes a man and a woman to reproduce. It's not a one-sided issue. What about the reproductive rights of men?

What's happening isn't some grand "war on women", it's douchebag politicians doing what they normally do - douchebag antics like stuffing their pockets while emptying everyone else's. Whether it's the pro choice/life argument, some tax issue, or whatever... it's still the same shit just a different day.

#8 AlphaMale, Apr 10, 2011
  9. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    whats unreasonable about imprisoning a pregnant woman? or putting women that have just suffered a miscarriage on trial and charging them with prenatal murder? or redefining rape so that rape victims cant have an abortion?

no, definitely not targeting women.

and its all perfectly in line with republican philosophy of keeping the government out of peoples lives...

Florida Court Orders Pregnant Woman to Bed Rest and Medical Care Against Her Will - ABC News

Georgia lawmaker proposes classifying miscarriages as ‘prenatal murder’ - Yahoo! News

Abortion Rights Activists Decry House Bill They Say Attempts to Redefine Rape - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The extreme Conservative/Teabagging portion of the Republican party won the midterms and is now flexing its muscle; women's issues come first (as it covers more people) but have no doubts that re-instating DADT and a strong support for DOMA is next on the agenda.

Frankly, I'm surprised there's not more interest in re-instating the Helms ban on HIV+ people from traveling to the US. Maybe they're just biding their time.

That having been said, I call for a moratorium on the word "war" for every domestic policy dispute. It cheapens both the disputes and the horror which is war. It's hyperbole in overdrive; with well over 6,000 words in common English can't we come up with something more sane, maybe?

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Really? :rolleyes:
    First off, I didn't start the thread. Secondly, just because I can recognize a problem that is growing in this country and can sympathize with those who may be affected by it doesn't mean that I'm "crying" about it. Perhaps you should verse yourself with the dictionary definitions of certain elementary level vocabulary words before you ignorantly refer to me as doing something that I'm not. The wording of such a cultural dispute is irrelevant to me. Call it a war, a revolution... call it a double quarter pounder with cheese if all one cares. Despite the title a real issue exists.

Yeah, what about the "reproductive rights" of a man? And do keep in mind, a real man that doesn't have to hide behind a disingenuous, male chauvinistic moniker to express dominance is telling you this. All you do is put your dick inside of a woman, fuck her, deposit your seed and hope that it's a boy. The woman now has to carry that seed to term and deal with all of the mental & health concerns and/or complications that come with a pregnancy. Women have died trying to bring to life the very children that most men turn right around and neglect. So even if you do have a voice on the matter when it deals with you and your own relationships with a woman, since women have far more to risk both mentally and physically their beliefs & needs should be more prominent. Rhetorically we may be equal, but when it comes to bearing children women do more than men to make it happen. That's how I view it and I don't give a damn if you think otherwise.

And this statement demonstrates why our nation is going down the crapper right now.
    Well we know it's all political because everything in politics is. But despite the politics and the shady ways some politicians manipulate social causes to generate responses and votes to hopefully win an election, there are real consequences to allowing the wrong people get into power so they can provide a stage to do the very harmful things they campaign on. Anyone with a brain can see what some conservatives are doing to get their fan base ready to vote. If it's not bringing up polarizing issues about women, it's about another minority such as gays & lesbians, the poor, Muslims, Islam, or any other thing that doesn't look, talk or smell as "American" as they place themselves. Regardless of this, the facts do not change. Since Roe v. Wade, there has been perpetual actions made by several right-winged ideologues and overtly religious people to reverse that ruling and/or make it impossible for a woman to exercise the rights she has received by law. If you had any respect for the woman you choose to breed with, you'd be more aware as to what these things are and put your voice in a real perspective compared to those around you instead of whether or not your "girl" gives birth to the next professional quarterback of your favorite team.

But hey, why waste time with the specifics when all you're going to do is equate someone providing a more objective opinion as "crying"? Keep beating your chest, Tarzan. Maybe one day you'll hit it so hard you'll lose your breath and be forced to shut your hole once in a while. :rolleyes:

#11 B_VinylBoy, Apr 10, 2011
  12. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear PerfectlySexy:

Don't forget that Planned Parenthood offers publicly funded health care for women. And there's one thing the Tea Bag Twitters and the Republicans have a major allergy to: public health care. At one time Planned Parenthood rightfully so offered counseling on abortion and actually performed the procedure in many Planned Parenthood clinics. That's no longer the case. But Planned Parenthood still offers affordable pap smears, gynecological exams, mammograms, fertility testing and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with abortion. Although the stigma of abortion remains, the primary issue is public-assisted health care. As the Tea Bag Partiers and the Republicans have made clear, the US government has no business offering health care -- unless, maybe, you are over 65. They'll play the government funded health care card until they eliminate Planned Parenthood. And that's when we'll all just have to pony up and send in $100 or $200 a year to our local Planned Parenthood clinics to keep them alive and dispensing birth control and semi-affordable health care. I seriously doubt Planned Parenthood as an organization will die, I do, however, believe it will lose all of its government funding.

It may not be as well-funded as before, but I know a whole country of mad-as-hell Lesbians (the USA) who will do their best to make sure it continues.

#12 midlifebear, Apr 10, 2011
  13. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I didn't start the thread either, but what you did start is an argument with me by quoting what I said and replying to it. Perhaps, you should refrain from displaying your elementary level education to us all by relentlessly spewing your mindless banter which has absolutely no affect on anyone. But hey... ignorance is bliss in your case, right? Forget whatever issue was at hand, this is me talking to you, a man talking to a boy (as you so aptly named yourself). So sit down, shut up, get a quarter pounder with cheese and listen.

And do keep in mind (in your little pea brain) that my name is neither disingenous nor male chauvinsitic. Nor did I create an account, choose a user name, and then come to this thread to make a post. I've been here longer than you! My user name is what it is. It's too bad if it offends you. Ironically, it was given to me by women.

The bolded part of your second paragraph (at least the first half) is utterly ridiculous and not even worth responding too... you're just making bullshit up. Not all men are bad because they are some bad men out there.

Your third paragraph is BS also, not even worth responding to.

Concerning the above quote though, your opinion comes across to me as "crying". All I did was make a simple statement that I thought the term "war on women" was stupid and you got all Hiroshima and Nagasaki on me. If anything, I'd be more in defense of this country's women than most (and probably you). Just because I said the term "war on women" (pragmatically) is dumb doesn't mean I don't want to protect our nation's women. The 'term' is stupid, but fighting for women's rights is not.

I made an initial post consisting of a few sentences and you're writing a damn novella. I think we all know that you're the one who needs to shut your hole here.

But now I'm Tarzan? GTFO with that BS. You want to be the Big Bad Wolf but you're only going to huff and puff and blow your own house down.

#13 AlphaMale, Apr 10, 2011
  14. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    The above in bold is what most conservatives would have us all forget. By carefully making Planned Parenthood synonymous with abortion they were able to create the idiotic furor which almost created a gov't shutdown. They vilify Planned Parenthood by creating the illusion that they are in the business of ending lives when, in fact, they save lives by offering reproductive health care at affordable cost. Some of the procedures are more expensive through health insurance than through PP. I should know. I purchased my birth control pills through them in my early twenties because my health insurance wouldn't pay for them. Short-sighted twats who can't see how inexpensive birth control is compared to nine months of OB-gyn visits, hospital stays, and the overall expense of giving birth and raising a child do not have my votes or sympathies.

Call it a war. Don't call it a war. But when women are not able to receive affordable reproductive health care and a growing number of the american population believe those resources are non-essential they are marginalized. Period.

15. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear Ethyl:

From what I have been told and researched, USA health insurance plans still don't pay for birth control pills or any other form of contraception. I, personally, have never needed anything more than a condom, but I've always thought it stupid the health insurance you pay for in the USA wouldn't cover contraceptives. Is this true? Or was it at one time true. Or do some health insurance companies pay for birth control and others don't?

You have my sincerest sympathy.

16. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Midlifebear,

Every insurance plan I have had in my lifetime has offered some type of birth control coverage. However, I'm not certain that they all do.

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Actually, I didn't start an argument. It was a simple reply with no malicious intent or anything that could be perceived as an insult. You, of course, thought it was because I "quoted" you and that's your problem to deal with.

Well, you took a non-malicious response and found it necessary to retaliate by insisting that I was a crybaby. If anyone is looking for a fight or providing mindless banter, it's you.

So says the so-called "alpha male" bitching about a "man's rights" like someone is actually to take something away from your sorry ass. Check yourself before you try to teach others anything. Your actions in this thread speak a lot louder than your words.

That's certainly up to debate, although a deep analysis is not required to understand how and why you found it necessary to get all confrontational over a post with no malicious intent. Also, learn to spell when you're trying to deliver an insult. Not trying to play spelling nazi here, however, if you're trying to imply that you're better than me you may want to utilize appropriate tools at your leisure that can help you express such a sentiment properly through the use of ASCII. Right now, you're just swinging your arms aimlessly in an attempt to land a verbal knockout and failing miserably.

Like that really means something? Your length of stay on a message board doesn't grant you irrevocable status over another. There are people who have been here less than both of us that can speak more intellectually than you can.

Actually it makes me laugh considering the tone of your scribe and the image you're trying to portray here. But go on...

So was mine. One of my best friends, who just so happens to be female, gave me this nickname in college when she learned that I was a DJ. But whatever. I'm sure there's supposed to be some kind of implication of "I get pussy and you don't" in your "ironic statement", forgetting that you're talking to someone who recognizes himself as being gay and could careless how many women give you nicknames. But that's the typical behavior of highly insecure people who have to try to boast about their masculinity with every second of their lives. Your nickname fits you well. REALLY, it does. And no, Einstein, that wasn't a compliment. :rolleyes:

That's not what I implied or suggested. The bolded print that you can't come up with any sensible or intellectually valid response for a counterargument provides a general perspective of male and female roles when bringing a child into this world. Women do far more than men to make this process possible. Therefore, since they do most of the work they should have their views valued more than the man. Yeah yeah, I know everyone is supposed to be "equal" but you would be the first one to be bitching if you did more work towards anything and someone who did less got more of a say on matters. So why does this change just because you want to have a baby?

Again, what you can't do and what you won't do are two entirely different things.
    If you can't do it, admit your folly and move on. Or just scoot because I don't need to hear someone say that they're weaker than myself since individuals can read what is being said here and determine that for themselves. However if you won't, then that shows an exceedingly large level of self absorbed ignorance that we should either just laugh at (and yes, people are laughing at you) or point out to show just how inherently stupid you really are. Take your pick. Either way, it doesn't look good for the so-called "Alpha Male". Is your chest starting to get too sore from all of the excessive pounding? Don't worry, I can sit here and watch you contextually beat yourself into submission all day. Being that I'm a major fan of irony it tends to be a sadistic pleasure of mine. :rolleyes:

Nice. Why don't you tell the rest of the class what else comes to you through that tinfoil hat of yours? :rolleyes:

Again, my statement had no malicious intent. I merely asked with various words, if the "war on women" is a stupid title then what should it be called then? That's "crying"? Really, look the word up in a dictionary someday. You'll be surprised that a scenario such as this doesn't really apply in the real world where actual definitions of words plays a factor in one's actions and not one's preconceived notions.

Please, you have no way to determine this without going by your own chauvinistic ideologies and inflated self righteousness which is completely irrelevant to this discussion. So please, keep beating your chest some more. You're gonna get tired eventually. :rolleyes:

Terms don't bother me as much as the specifics. So I don't care if anyone thinks the "war on women" is a dumb name. The issues contained within are much more important.

Intellectual people who know how to type tend to say a lot of things in the same time most "chest beating types" stress over a witty thing to say and peck about on a keyboard. If you want to somehow imply that I'm a "nerd" or have no life now, you'll need to find a better way to do it.

When you say "we", are you talking about the members of LPSG or all of the personalities dwelling within your "alpha brain"? Please be specific and take all the time you need to form another one lined sentence of irrelevance to express your thoughts.

Apparently, contextual imagery fails you. What a shock. :rolleyes:

Not really... I don't have to be the BMOC or the person everyone looks up to. In a debate on a message board I just have to be the one with the more sensible posts, and right now it's 3-0 in favor of "the wolf". You may want to consider a different argumentative style here, because there's a real subject matter at hand that we can spar off on. However if this game becomes pointless rounds of "playing the dozens" I guarantee that you'll be on the losing end of that battle. On top of that, authorities frown on that kind of behavior around here and I don't want to risk my membership to a community I like over the pathetic mumblings of an insecure man trying with every letter they can to imply that he's better than someone else while practically ignoring the thread subject. Now do you have anything else to say? Are we parting company so you can try and use your incredible sense of logically vacuous, yet self indulgent scribe on someone else who may be impressed by the way you try to bully people into submission with empty words? Or are you going to be dumb enough to sit here and keep whacking your upper body in my face like a gorilla fighting over jungle terrain? By all means, let us know when you can compose yourself. To keep beating yourself like this and it not be a form of masturbation must be a tiring exercise. :rolleyes:

#17 B_VinylBoy, Apr 10, 2011
  18. citr

citr New Member

You are completely correct. Your behavior in this thread is not in any way typical of someone who'd claim the moniker AlphaMale, and with each post it only becomes more and more clear what a sweet, humane, broad-minded, and nonjudgmental person you are. :smile:

19. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're lame. The sarcastic things you're trying to say about me are actually completely applicable to you

Remember, you said something about my user name first and I didn't say anything to you. Talk about coming out of the woodworks...

#19 AlphaMale, Apr 10, 2011
  20. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    @VynilBoy Your verbose and circumlocutory posts aren't worth reading and they are hardly worth responding to. But if you think you're really making a difference by being an internet message board warrior then by all means go ahead - it won't bother me one bit.

It's amazing how intimidated you are simply by my user name. I think you fail to realize that I have many friends on this board and a lot if them are women.

Who's going to vouch for your character? Cause I've got plenty of friends here that know I'm a kind person and word is that you aren't very well liked.

You can take the meaning of my user name to the extreme, but you don't give it it's meaning - I do.

You and citr are in the same boat, and your ship is sinking... fast!

#20 AlphaMale, Apr 10, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted