The Week From Hell

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by B_Carolina, Jul 6, 2004.

1. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

I just wanted to get something off my chest (and maybe fish for condolences in the meanwhile).

I got a speeding ticket, had to fix a brokedown truck - saying goodbye to the last 300 bucks to my name, and I haven't been able to buy groceries in far too long. I am still living like a college kid and I've graduated! I still can't get full-time at work even though I'm doing full-time work and to make matters worse, my mother is going through physical therapy and I can't be home to help around the house. I'm not expecting responses, just wanted to get this off my chest. Sorry to bother you all.

...back to the show.

2. txquis

Gold Member

Sometimes it helps just to get it out.
    Well done.
    Feel better.
    We can all relate.
    :)

3. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Keep your chin up, Carolina, remember it's darkest before the dawn. Whether or not you believe in prayer, I have no idea, but, I believe 'he who rises from his knees a better man -- his prayers have been ansered'. If you haven't tried, do so, and see if you will be comforted afterwards. Remember there are others prayering for you, too.

Peace,
    Luke

4. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ...

5. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Oh yeah, man, the college slump hits everybody nowadays. I'm back in school again for my Master's, but before that, I was slummin' at (still am) a restaurant, saving up my tips as best as I can. It's hard because the job market isn't the smooth sailing entryway lots of graduates imagine it would be, and even with the spike in new jobs available, it's tough on everybody.

You already did a good thing getting this off your chest.

You know what I'd do if I were you? Even if it's only a little bit, just try to be there for your mom and for your family. If anything, give them a call every few days and just be as present as you can. They'd love to hear from you, I imagine, and I'm sure they would be there to comfort to as you try to make it in the big, bad world. No matter what, I know I always felt better when I called home, no matter how bad or crazy things got for me.

Keep us updated on what's going on.

6. KinkGuy

Gold Member

None of us are ever so "grown" or so "old" as to not need family. Even at my advanced age, I still like talking things over with my Mom. Dad's gone, but I even still talk to him once in a while. ;) All will be OK, trust and go out there and kick some ass! ^_^

7. xtrathickdick

xtrathickdick Member

Sorry to hear that you're going through some tough things. I've had a lot of terrible things happen to me during the past year. Horrible, tragic events. And yet I am always grateful that things aren't worse. No matter how bad things are, look around you. There are so many people out there with much worse situations.

You still have your health and it sounds like you still have a job. Hopefully, you've got someone in your life to love and who loves you back. Build on the good things going on in your life. Terrible things are always going to happen. It's part of life. But look at the good things in your life buddy. It helps put things in perspective.

8. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

I truly appreciate all the replies. I understand that there are always worse off. And I understand that all things will pass. I'm one of the biggest optimists you'll ever meet, it just seems that everything's converging on me at once. I'll be fine. Again, thanks for the kind words.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Aww, babe, we all love you here. I'm sorry things are so tough right now, I can sure relate about the money. FWIW, I haven't bought groceries in a while either but cans of soup at the dollar store are only, well $1!! Keep scraping together the change, things will look up eventually. Sometimes when I try too hard to fix things I only frustrate myself, so I try to divert my attention to something that makes me feel better. Wish I was there to pinch your cheek.

10. Ecchi

Ecchi New Member

Albums:
    Looked inside, found myself, it was me
    Waitin' there at the well
    If you're green, you ain't seen, life's a game
    Sometimes it's just hard to tell
    Gouging eyes, breakin' bones, eatin' flesh
    Puts a smile on my face
    Crawlin' through glass, eatin' nails, losin' blood
    It's all part of findin' your place

-excerpt from 'Stronger Than Death', by the Black Label Society

Just a lil lyric I thought I'd share with y'all .... that song in itself has helped me through some tough times ....

11. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: This thread shows why this forum is so great! Carolina, lots of folks are rooting for you and empathizing with you!! And some of us said a prayer for you. Hang in there til it passes, Sweetie!!! And listen to the excellent advice here.

12. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: I too have had a week from Hell, first after being laid off for the last 2 weeks I got a call telling me it would be another week before I could return to work, my room mate is moving out leaving me with all the bills (he's paid up but it hard to maintain this huge house between just me and my disabled mother)and then we had a devestating storm blow thru that left a 40' oak tree laying in my back yard and blacked-out most of the city, I had to send my mother to stay with realitives because shes on a breathing machine, and after spending $80 for ice to keep the side of beef in my deep- freeze from spoiling (also I drive an old school low rider, with cut coils and droped spindles, no air bags or hydrilics and I over loaded the car,with ice and droped the muffler right in front of a cop,who let it slide) but anyways after all this shit I get the freezer iced down and three hours later the power came back on ,and this whole time I'm going through "tecno withdraw"(no phone no lights no TV and no PC) well I'm going back to catching up on all the shit I've missed on the board in the last couple of days(and it seems I've missed alot!)

P.S. Carolina I hope things are looking up for you and it helps to know your not alone.

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Hey, Carolina, don't sweat it there, dude. Somedays I just gotta vent my frustrations or I wind up blowing up at whoever's handy, and I have to tell, somedays I'm not too indiscriminant as to just who it is.

It may seem like scapegoating, but it beats the living hell out of keeping it in, and then stroking out later, you know?
    Chin up, there Carolina, things will even out before you know it, ok?

14. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Carolina,

Life sometimes can be miserable, but that is why they call it "LIFE." Too many of us can relate to your situation, both young and old alike, and can assure you that things will get better.

I work at a university and have been encouraging students to go back to school and get a Master's or Ph.D because of the current economic climate. Actually, a lot of students have taken the advise and received more money (fellowships, etc.) because of their discipline while working on those graduate degrees. I would encourage you to consider that option.

A lot of people have given you a lot of really good advise. Keep your head up and keep smiling. Something is going to happen and it will be just what you've been waiting for... (yes, I ended with a preposition! :p ).

Best of luck hun.

bb

15. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

According to this English teacher, that's fine. "...for which you've been waiting" would tend to sound stilted and unnatural.

Sir Winston Churchill, a master of the English language, once wrote a speech containing the sentence, "And that is something that I will not put up with." The proofreader noted that Sir Winston ended the sentence with two prepositions, and changed it to, "And that is something up with which I will not put." Sir Winston ignored the corrected speech and read it with the original wording as he wrote it. If Sir Winston Churchill can get away with it, I think we can occasionally slide.

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

He could have just said "something I just will not tolerate" though, in the interest of perfection, by the way, who's interested in that??? Too boring....

17. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

We English teachers, of course!

Well, we can't always be the life of the party. That gets to be exhausting!

18. madame_zora

Gold Member

DMW, I'm just not buying it- I bet you're the life of the party everywhere you go!
    As for grammar, I have to force myself not to pick my own posts apart, and I don't even wanna talk about chat lingo. Yes, old habits die hard.

19. jonb

Gold Member

Well, let's just all agree that prepositions can also be adverbs and end it there.

20. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I just can't compete with big-haired drag queens lip-synching disco songs!

Draft saved Draft deleted