The Weird Al Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Gillette, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    He's done it again! This man is pure genius.

What was the first song that denied you the ability to keep a straight face?

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Holy shit. Weird Al again.
    I wunst wuz sposed to sit beside him at a comedy show, but didn't go.
    I loved the part in the video where he gives the girl a power cord.
    Reminds me of the time I gave a romantically inclined but, in my case, delusional girl a paper bag holder.
    Al's hilarious.

3. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only song I know from him is his version of "Copacabana" with Star Wars lyrics.

4. dreamer20

Gold Member

5. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry, sweety. :X old news.

6. Ummagumma

Ummagumma New Member

A cassette tape of 'Alapalooza' was the first piece of music I ever owned. Considering the ridiculous amount of music I own today, the fact that he was my first will always give him a special place in my heart *schoolgirl sigh* :rolleyes:

My favorite song of his is probably "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota", a style parody (i.e. original music and lyrics meant to mirror a certain 'sound of the day', not a direct parody like most of his bigger hits) in the vein of Harry Chapin and Gordon Lightfoot.

7. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have some great memories of listening to Dr. Demento's
    radio show on Sunday nights, where Al Yankovic was first
    played. Ah, good times.

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I don't think that was actually his - I think a lot of parodies are attributed wrongly to Mr. Yankovic.

9. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

I've been pretty well hooked since Amish Paradise. Smells Like Nirvana is one of my favorites of his as well.

10. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember watching "Eat it" for the first time on MTV. He's a hoot and his career has only improved with age.

11. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

You are correct. Big Al fan here. He's been around forever and has a ton of material but he's still not quite as prolific as many seem to want to give him credit for. Every time anybody records any kind of parody at some point it is credited to Weird Al.

To date he has recorded two Star Wars-themed parodies. "Yoda" parodies the song "Lola" and "The Saga Begins" is a parody of "American Pie."

My earliest Al memories are from when I was a toddler, Michael Jackson was huge and my older cousin Doug had memorized the song "Eat It" (parody of "Beat It") and was singing it for everyone cracking us all up. My favorite movie in 1986 was the animated Transformers movie which featured Al's "Dare to Be Stupid" on the soundtrack. In grade school I think somehow the sixth grader's dramatic production of "Lord of the Rings" somehow incorporated "Fat" (another Jackson parody- this time of "Bad") into the play. I remember singing along to "This Song's Just Six Words Long" ("I Got My Mind Set On You") and "Trapped in the Closet With Vanna White" with my friend Ben Brookwell. Crushed at the box office by the likes of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, UHF was still one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen the summer it was released. My friends in Boy Scouts used to recite dialogue back and forth the week we were at summer camp. When I was in jr. high, alternative and grunge were changing the face of music and Weird Al was there again with the outrageously funny "Smells Like Nirvana." I remember watching the video for that for the first time while on vacation down in Florida and I couldn't stop laughing. That whole album- Off The Deep End- was great and really was what made me a fan. I borrowed all of Al's older stuff from my neighbor Marty Clawson. He had them all on vinyl and I dubbed them on tape. Classic stuff like "Another One Rides The Bus" ("Another One Bites the Dust" parody), "Rye or the Kaiser" ("Eye of the Tiger"), "Like a Surgeon" ("Like a Virgin") and "My Bologna" ("My Charona"). When I was in high school Al actually released two albums- unusually prolific for him- including Alapalooza (ft. "Jurassic Park", "Bedrock Anthem" (Chili Peppers parody) and one of my favorites: the original song "Frank's 2000" TV) and Bad Hair Day (ft. the Coolio spoof "Amish Paradise", "Gump", and a nod to my favorite band NIN by including a bit of "Closer" in that album's polka medley). I think it was on that tour that I went to go see him in concert for the first time. He put on a really great show, and that first night my girlfriend Jenni and I had front row seats. He came down off stage and sat on her lap while singing "One More Minute."

I've arbitrarily decided I need a new paragraph. Anyway... yeah... good memories from Al all around. He's been at it almost as long as I've been alive and still looks like he's 30. The funny thing is he's got more staying power than pretty much any of the acts that he's parodied. Even Michael Jackson tried to make a comeback and pretty much fell flat. Oh... and two of the best road trip songs ever: "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota" off the UHF soundtrack and "Albuquerque" off of Running With Scissors. They kept me company when I drove from California back here to Virginia. I even stopped and stayed at the "world famous Albuequerque Holiday Inn" along the way.

12. Ummagumma

Ummagumma New Member

That is so awesome.

*is listening to Weird Al as I type this*

And may I add that I am so glad people aren't asking for naked pictures of him :eek: :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted