The White House Correspondents' Association Dinner

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
This is an annual journalists' dinner, started in 1920, and traditionally held on the evening of the last Saturday in April at the Washington Hilton (although it was held last night this year).

As you've probably heard, this year was a star-studded black-tie dinner. Celebrities generally don't come. But this year was different as Hollywood schmoozed with Washington. Ashton and Demi were there. Sting and Jon Bon Jovi were there. Natalie Portman, Eva Longoria, Christian Slater, Steven Spielberg, Michael Bloomberg, Colin Powell, Tyra Banks, Chris Tucker, George Lucas, The Rock, Alan Greenspan, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Alecia Keys, John Boehner, Glenn Beck, Donatella Versace....

And that's not even mentioning the press.

Barack Obama brought down the house a number of times.

Obama: "I would like to talk about what my administration plans to achieve in the next 100 days... During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days... I believe that my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days -- and on the 73rd day I will rest."

YouTube - OBAMA @ WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS DINNER (Mar 09, 2009), Part 1

YouTube - OBAMA @ WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS DINNER (Mar 09, 2009), 2

But it's lesbian comedian Wanda Sykes that the conservative talk-show hosts will be buzzing about tomorrow. "Controversial" Wanda... Slamming Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh (yeah, and even Joe Biden).

Sykes: (to Obama) "Rush Limbaugh, one of your big critics. Boy, Rush Limbaugh said he hopes this administration fails. Yeah... It's like I don't care about people losing their homes, losing their jobs, our soldiers in Iraq. He just wants the country to fail. To me that's treason. He's not saying anything differently than what Osama bin Laden is saying. You know, you might want to look into this, sir, but I think maybe Rush Limbaugh was the 20th highjacker but he was just so strung out on Oxycontin he missed his flight (as the audience laughs and groans)... too much...?"

Sykes: "Dick Cheney... he's a scary man... scares me to death. I tell my kids, I say, look, if two cars pull up and one has a stranger and the other car has Dick Cheney... you get in the car with the stranger."

YouTube - {Part 1} Wanda Sykes @ White House Correspondents Dinner

YouTube - {Part 2} Wanda Sykes @ White House Correspondents Dinner

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I liked the one about Boehner (pronounce it 'boner', please people) being a 'person of color ... just not a naturally-occurring color' was the best line. (He over-tans and is almost orange, icydk.)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is an annual journalists' dinner, started in 1920, and traditionally held on the evening of the last Saturday in April at the Washington Hilton (although it was held last night this year).

As you've probably heard, this year was a star-studded black-tie dinner. Celebrities generally don't come. But this year was different as Hollywood schmoozed with Washington. Ashton and Demi were there. Sting and Jon Bon Jovi were there. Natalie Portman, Eva Longoria, Christian Slater, Steven Spielberg, Michael Bloomberg, Colin Powell, Tyra Banks, Chris Tucker, George Lucas, The Rock, Alan Greenspan, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Alecia Keys, John Boehner, Glenn Beck, Donatella Versace....

And that's not even mentioning the press.

Barack Obama brought down the house a number of times.

Seriously, WT, are there any ridiculous lengths that you will not go to, in order to lavishly praise Obama far beyond reason for nothing at all?

1. I think most of us have heard of the Dinner itself, but thanks for prepping us on it.

2. "this year was a star-studded black tie dinner"... "celebrities don't usually come"... "this year was different"

are you seriously crazy? Please tell me that you did not write those words, and that those were part of a fawning news report written someplace else (even mroe irresponsible, considering it would be news source)

Celebrities come every year. Every year it is a black tie tinner. This year was no different

2008, just to name a few-

Salman Rushdie
Morgan Fairchild
Martha Stewart
Eric Dane
Pamela Anderson
The Jonas Brothers
Perez Hilton
Tracey Ullman
Lauren Conrad
Jenny McCarthy
Rosario Dawson
Colin Firth
Donatella Versace
Marcia Cross
Ben Affleck
Jennifer Garner
Padma Lakshmi

But thank god some of the celebrities who came this year were there...after all, who could live without Ashton and Demi, Eva Longoria, Jon Bon Jovi, Chris Tucker, Christian Slater and The Rock?

and since when were Bloomberg, Powell, Greenspan and Boehner considered "celebrities" and not politicians first? They were there last year too.

3. and, just for good measure, let us read what Frank Rich of the NYTimes wrote about the Dinners:

"a crystallization of the press's failures in the post-9/11 era" because it "illustrates how easily a propaganda-driven White House can enlist the Washington news media in its shows."

4. Barack's deliveries no doubt "brought down the house"...but his writers wrote it, just like all other presidents at these dinners.

5. Calm down WT...this event happens every year, with plenty of press and plenty of celebrities...this was not a miraculously unique magical celebration.

It's a friggin dinner held every year.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Flashy,

This is a political forum. The WHCA dinner is the lead news story tonight (besides Cheney seriously dissing Colin Powell), so I wanted to write up a thread. That's all. Nothing nefarious going on here. I just laughed and wanted to share and pass it on.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy,

This is a political forum. The WHCA dinner is the lead news story tonight (besides Cheney seriously dissing Colin Powell), so I wanted to write up a thread. That's all. Nothing nefarious going on here. I just laughed and wanted to share and pass it on.

i have no problem with that, or with you writing up a thread about it...no problem at all...

i am just curious why you felt the need to *LIE* about the event.

So please answer the question...did you write the part that i bolded and enlarged, or was that from a news story...

If you wrote it, then there was something disingenuous going on, as you deliberately altered the event to make it seem like this years event was some sort of unique turnout especially for Obama...if you did not write that part and simply pasted it from an article, i'd like a link/source to the article, since it is a clear example of *VERY* biased reporting, wouldn't you agree?

It is a simple question...

Nothing wrong with the thread...the problem, is in the content, and just who twisted it that way...

don't you think it is a fair question to ask who tilted the event in the writing? Was it you, or was it a news outlet?

it is an honest question...please answer it.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Flashy, I believe I got it from Fox News today. Fox News was criticizing Wanda Sykes for being "over-the-top", then the anchor/opiniongiver explained to the audience that celebrities don't usually attend these things, but this year was different because Obama was president. Then the Fox News anchor/opinionmeister went on a rant about "the Hollywood elite".

Hope that helps you out, Flash.

I know, I know... That's what I get for watching Fox News. They obviously needed you to give 'em the facts.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy, I believe I got it from Fox News today. Fox News was criticizing Wanda Sykes for being "over-the-top", then the anchor/opiniongiver explained to the audience that celebrities don't usually attend these things, but this year was different because Obama was president. Then the Fox News anchor/opinionmeister went on a rant about "the Hollywood elite".

Hope that helps you out, Flash.

I know, I know... That's what I get for watching Fox News. They obviously needed you to give 'em the facts.

I'd like to see a transcript please....that sounds like your interpretation of it, not theirs. As retarded as Fox News is, i wonder

1. why were you actually watching Fox News?
2. I can understand criticizing Wanda Sykes for being over the top, as that sounds like something Fox would say, but i still don't really buy the rest of it regarding that celebrities don't usually go...i think it is a combination of your inherent worship of Obama and their inherent hatred of him, causing you both a sense of collective insanity on the topic at the moment...:smile:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I liked the one about Boehner (pronounce it 'boner', please people) being a 'person of color ... just not a naturally-occurring color' was the best line. (He over-tans and is almost orange, icydk.)

That was the quote of the evening. When I heard it, I actually caught short of breath.

Thanks for posting this WT.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And Donald Rumsfeld was surprised by adoring fans at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner::01:

YouTube - Rumsfeld WAR CRIMINAL ARREST THIS MAN! RESPONSIBLE FOR DEATH OF THOUSANDS!

Wow... that's extreme! Even I get a little uncomfortable when I see people get this blatant even if the message they spread has some truth to it. Rumsfeld is just as guilty as Cheney when it comes to this war. Both of them have been plotting it for more than a decade.