The White Stuff

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SomeGuyOverThere, Dec 20, 2010.

1. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

No, not that white stuff. Or the type you snort. Or milk. Think Bing Crosby. I already said not that white stuff!

So it's snowing here, and in the great British tradition of being pretty crap at coping with anything more than about 6 inches, the entire country has ground to a halt with several feet of snow. Heathrow Airport (busiest in the world) had to close yesterday, motorways have been shut, trains cancelled, schools closed and people are practically erecting shrines to Britannia, Godess of the land and declaring the end times.

But what's really bothering me is a cute guy who I had a one night stand with a few months ago is back for Christmas and wants a re-run. He's snowed in. :frown1:

*shakes fist* DAMN YOU MET OFFICE!

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    ... so jump in your 4X4 and go over there.

3. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love how crap we are at dealing with snow! Heheh. It fulfills my childhood dreams of being snowed in and everything grinding to a halt so I didn't have to bother going in to school. :p

4. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

I drive a front engine, rear wheel drive car. Driving it in the snow is just dangerous : /

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm watching the story on the evening news. Just be happy you are not stuck in an airport!

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh god our media is so insular and just loves showing people moaning as if we're the only country in the world that can't cope with a snowfall.

Meanwhile, in the rest of europe it's just as bad or even worse. Germany has ground to a halt and has powerless villages "left to their own devices". Frankfurt, Charles de Gaul (Paris), Lyon and Milan airports have all been shut too, it's not just Heathrow. Rail is disrupted in Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Deutsche Bahn are advising against rail travel in Germany. Sections of motorways around Paris were shut. In Croatia, Boznia and Albania flooding is a major problem.

But you wouldn't know that unless you had access to european media, where they cover conditions across europe (including the UK) and not just their own backyards.

7. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I like it. i like the sound of it crunch under my feet.

8. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted